Please help, Started taking off and grinding noise! Transmission/Cv joint???http://ww

aron_ft

:
2003 mazdaspeed protege
I was going down my road today and just put new plug wires on my MSP, I stop at a stop sign and go to accelerate pretty rapidly, I got to about 4k rpm and the car felt like it slipped out of first gear, not thinking nothing off it ( thought it was a one in a million thing, never happens ) went to grab second gear and let out the clutch and tried to go and got a nasty grinding noise coming from the driver side. i've hear the limited slip differential in the 03 MSP are known to strip from the torque of the turbo. I am not knowledgable on the drive of these cars. from the trans on my protg its a cv axle to a cv half shaft? or what? and on the right side how is it working over there? and do you suggest from what I described that it is any of my diagnosis? what is your opinion? PLEASE and THANK YOU!!!!

best thing to do is jack the front end up and see if you have a broken CV joint....if not then most likely internal trans issues....if it was a "grinding" noise, most likely internal trans, CV axles don't really "grind" unless you messed up the splines but I really don't see that happening....best of luck to you

might be a bad synchro. if it was the diff the went your car wouldnt move at all in any gear. and 3rd and 5th gear are known to chipp teeth or strip completely. and as stated before. an axle really doesnt make a grinding sound, but more of a humming/thumping noise while driving.

car is jacked up, no broke cv joint. boots all look good and yes, bad grinding when any load was put on the vehicle. where do i go from here?

Only thing that makes me question that, is as stated above...the car actually moves lol it is usually immobile if the diff goes.

how can I tell if its the differential? im pulling the cv half shafts out today. i'm not sure if I mentioned it sounds like its the driver side. but if I pull the axles and they look fine where should I go from there?

Back