Please help me decide on a ms3 or 06 sti

The wing on the STI works as well as the wing on the MS3. It acts as a spoiler, but I strongly doubt the stock unit provides significant downforce.

ours doesnt, the sti does. ive seen flow charts and multiple tests on this. i may drive a ms3 but i still have subaru blood

I remember hearing about it, i think it may have been debunked. I saw the "concept" pics and its looked retarded, i will have to see if i can find the link

First of all thanks for all the responses. I haven't been lurking on here as long as iwsti but I'm liking the feedback and attitude in here.

The MS3 will be a little more comfortable in the long run, I hate the STI's interior, but I looove the performance. if you are gonna mod, the STI will be better in the long run. Its obvious that you are looking for a daily driver with a little zip so I would say the MS3 cause you can get a new one for the price of the used STi, and it would be more of a "usefule" car.

I like the interior of the sti - it's subjective. I like the interior of the ms3 as well. I do agree with you in that the ms3 will be a more useful car.

What about an 09 WRX?
Do the WRX's have the rumoured bad tune like the 08 STI's?

i'm not sure but an ap or tune would probably solve it

STI's look sick.....but MS3 is simply TEH BEST!

I mean it handles well, it's fairly priced, way lower than competition, and you can fit alot of junk in it lol :D

sti looks SICK! that's one of the big things making me lean towards the sti. the ms3 IS nice looking but I like the look of an sti over a ms3 - once again subjective.

It seems sorta useless to buy a used STI when things are so flat out in FL, with minimal dangerous weather (rain doesn't require AWD).

As much as I like the STI's, I'd still say the MS3 would be the best for the money. When you use the power band correctly on the MS3, it's a blast and can put yourself back into the seat.

I could justify an STI more in MI with winter, but I couldn't justify the extra cost, nor spending that much on a used car. I wanted the absolute most for my money, so the MS3 wins!

Yes! best bang for the buck is ms3, hands down. awd (with other than the summer re070 tires) is nice in FL when i need to make a right at a red light in the rain with traffic not too far down the road.

If money isn't a consideration, this is a tough choice. Either car would be sweet as hell. If you get the STI, please get white! Those are yummy! The MS3 is yummy in any color. That is all.

I don't think it's possible to grow bored of a Mazdaspeed3 unless you are used to 400+HP cars and drive alcohol-fueled funny cars on the weekends.

I love white. and i'd like to get either the ms3 or sti in white whether it be pearl or aspen. AND money is less of a consideration BECAUSE a used sti will bring it very close to an ms3. Granted it's used and the sti has slightly higher maintenance costs. I checked insurance already and the sti would raise my rates 20$/month. I've never had a car more than 5 years and I feel that either car will last 5years. I just have to be super patient with the sti to find one with low miles and stock. Whereas the ms3, I CAN be grinning tommorrow!!

My humble opinion

Florida= no snow, AWD won't be used. -1 for STI.
Also, a 6 speed can get painful in traffic. -1

Beastly sounding boxer engine. Looks just as badass as the engine sounds. +2 for STI.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of room. Better interior. BRAND NEW. +3 for Ms3

I can't think of any negatives for the Ms3. But coming from experience with Mazdas here..........................make sure you get the manual.

May i make a suggestion? if you want some zip for your buck, why not go with an SRT-4? It's the "fastest car under $30,000" according to dodge. They even have a 7 minute long commercial where some kid rips a subaru up with his brother's SRT-4.

SRT-4 doesn't do it for me in the looks dept at all. I too think the ms3 is a very well rounded car and doesnt really hurt too much in any one area.

Well, since you wont be drag racing, or autocross or anything like that, and you are in florida, where it never snows, I would go with the MS3. The MS3 is quicker than the sti except for launches, but since you wont be drag racing that really wont matter. I would go with a car with the new warrenty and you were the only person you are going to be driving

BUT, if you do get an STI, please oh please get the one without the retarded spoiler, or if you do get that spoiler, PLEASE take it off. It looks so retarded and I feel like throwing up when I see them.(pukey)

spoiler's subjective, just like the looks of all the subaru's themselves. I hated the v-grill, pig nose at first but it grew on me and i love it now. And the reasons you gave me in favor of the ms3 is right on. With the sti I will have to search a lot to find one in great condition

Once again thanks for all the input. The ms3 IS the better DD, will give me the fun factor, has nice seats, great overall package, stock exhaust is fairly nice, has a 6spd instead of the 09 rex, greater utility, NEW,less po po tickets due to the stealth wagon, = the biggest bang for the buck NO DOUBT about it!! I will keep thinking about it, but I am slightly leaning towards the sti. WHY? well b/c i've wanted it since 05 and dreamed of it ever since. The ms3 looks good, BUT in the end I still like the sti look a little more. I'm probably still going to test drive the ms3 once more since it's been about a year since i last test drove it. So who knows... whatever happens i don't think i can go wrong either way. Both cars are great and should keep me happy; thanks all again for all the responses

First of all thanks for all the responses. I haven't been lurking on here as long as iwsti but I'm liking the feedback and attitude in here.

I like the interior of the sti - it's subjective. I like the interior of the ms3 as well. I do agree with you in that the ms3 will be a more useful car.

i'm not sure but an ap or tune would probably solve it

sti looks SICK! that's one of the big things making me lean towards the sti. the ms3 IS nice looking but I like the look of an sti over a ms3 - once again subjective.

Yes! best bang for the buck is ms3, hands down. awd (with other than the summer re070 tires) is nice in FL when i need to make a right at a red light in the rain with traffic not too far down the road.

I love white. and i'd like to get either the ms3 or sti in white whether it be pearl or aspen. AND money is less of a consideration BECAUSE a used sti will bring it very close to an ms3. Granted it's used and the sti has slightly higher maintenance costs. I checked insurance already and the sti would raise my rates 20$/month. I've never had a car more than 5 years and I feel that either car will last 5years. I just have to be super patient with the sti to find one with low miles and stock. Whereas the ms3, I CAN be grinning tommorrow!!

SRT-4 doesn't do it for me in the looks dept at all. I too think the ms3 is a very well rounded car and doesnt really hurt too much in any one area.

spoiler's subjective, just like the looks of all the subaru's themselves. I hated the v-grill, pig nose at first but it grew on me and i love it now. And the reasons you gave me in favor of the ms3 is right on. With the sti I will have to search a lot to find one in great condition

Once again thanks for all the input. The ms3 IS the better DD, will give me the fun factor, has nice seats, great overall package, stock exhaust is fairly nice, has a 6spd instead of the 09 rex, greater utility, NEW,less po po tickets due to the stealth wagon, = the biggest bang for the buck NO DOUBT about it!! I will keep thinking about it, but I am slightly leaning towards the sti. WHY? well b/c i've wanted it since 05 and dreamed of it ever since. The ms3 looks good, BUT in the end I still like the sti look a little more. I'm probably still going to test drive the ms3 once more since it's been about a year since i last test drove it. So who knows... whatever happens i don't think i can go wrong either way. Both cars are great and should keep me happy; thanks all again for all the responses

Hey man, at this point, I think you already know what you are going to get ;) yes, maybe you will go and drive a MS3 and it will be faster and fun to drive, but it sounds like you have wanted to own an STI alot, and just because a car is fast and fun to drive, wont replace driving the car you wanted. Does that make sense? Get the STI, it seems that personally, you already know what you want.

That's great that you have Subaru in your blood, but the degree of downforce the STi wing might provide is trivial when compared to the benefits of spoiling airflow over the rear of the car.

The major benefit of that big ol' wing is simply disturbing what would otherwise be clean air flowing over the rear car, which left undisturbed will generate lift at the rear and create little pockets of vortexing air that destabalize the car at speed.

I've read some articles on the STi spoiler, probably some of the same you have, and I know it is designed to generate some downforce, but it's not a very well designed foil so it doesn't create much. It is, however, more than adequate as a spoiler, same as the wing on the back of the MS3. Even then, most people won't be driving regularly at speeds in excess of the ~90 mph it takes to start getting air flowing over the surfaces of the car (and the spoilers/wings) to start seeing positive aerodynamic benefits from them.

I have heard though that Subaru has serious problems with you if you have it removed...? Just over heard at a Subaru dealership a year ago, didnt ask further.

On to the topic, I would want a new car with a new car warranty and to know some tool didnt thrash my car before I got it.

hence why i said most of the people that buy the sti will never actual use the wing.

now when subaru added the roof spoiler it did make a pretty good difference in terms of cleaning up the airflow and forcing it down the car...

even a little wing can make a huge difference, i.e. the audi tt in the first production year would literally flip over at high speeds, hence why audo added that tiny tiny tinyyyy lip spoiler and the problem was solved.

in conclusion to this complete random little rant or whatever you want to call it, the sti wing to me is a part of the history of the car starting all the way to the ver.1, 22b, it just makes the car to me. thats all

only a RETARD or rich daddy's boy whose dad is buying it for him would EVER buy a ****** sti for city streets, Youre in Florida guy, get the MS3 you will have no use for the awd that you're forking out extra for in that ugly 4 door sedan sti

hence why i said most of the people that buy the sti will never actual use the wing.

now when subaru added the roof spoiler it did make a pretty good difference in terms of cleaning up the airflow and forcing it down the car...

even a little wing can make a huge difference, i.e. the audi tt in the first production year would literally flip over at high speeds, hence why audo added that tiny tiny tinyyyy lip spoiler and the problem was solved.

in conclusion to this complete random little rant or whatever you want to call it, the sti wing to me is a part of the history of the car starting all the way to the ver.1, 22b, it just makes the car to me. thats all
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't mind the wing, and it is a big part of the history of the car, so I can appreciate it for what it is. It's just hard to make the claim that it is functional (kinda) and the MS3s is not (yes it is). That's all.

Plus sometimes I like to go off about the difference between a spoiler and a wing. I'm like that.

only a RETARD or rich daddy's boy whose dad is buying it for him would EVER buy a ****** sti for city streets, Youre in Florida guy, get the MS3 you will have no use for the awd that you're forking out extra for in that ugly 4 door sedan sti
Is your avatar your car?

If so, were you retarded or a rich daddy's boy for wasting money on Lamborghini doors?

I have heard though that Subaru has serious problems with you if you have it removed...? Just over heard at a Subaru dealership a year ago, didnt ask further.

Subaru made them without the wing its called an STI Limited. so how can they be mad that you removed yours.

Correction...it would have lift off oversteer from the rear end getting light at speed...the flipping occurred after idiots on the autobahn hit the armco at 150mph...

Only Mercedes CLK-GTR's flip by themselves at speed..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srYDvV680gk

Funny thing about that is half of the 24 Hueres Du mans is run on publics roads...french law states any accidents on a public road result in a breathalyzer...

The first thing they did to Mark Webber when he crawled out of a car he just flipped at 200+mph in an ACO sanctioned race? Gave him a breathalyzer...funny huh?

At speed, any car could flip at speed. You simply need to get enough of the front end off the pavement to ruin the ground effect. You can do this on big enough bumps. It is a pretty rare thing, but that CLK-GTR crash wasn't a product of poor aerodynamics so much as it was a consequence of multiple factors. Remember, the car had already won multiple races and finished many laps at that course before the accident happened.

If you look at a car from the side, it looks vaguely like a wing. Rounded at the top, flat at the bottom. Move any car through the air at a high enough speed and the general shape will generate lift, I don't care if it's a McLaren F1, a VW Beetle or a Hummer H3. This is something spoilers help to avoid, by spoiling airflow at the trailing edge of the vehicle shape.

Back