please help - door guard removal

obsoletee

:
2004 Mazda6 S Bose, leather, 5 speed
A lot of Mazda 6 owners have been doing this mod and I like the way it looks, so I figured I would give it a try. The first three doors went great, got the fourth door guard off and I found out it must have been repainted before I owned the car. There is a slight buildup of clear coat around where the guard used to sit. I am thinking that a simple buff of the door will fix the problem but I am not that familiar with buffing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Before
IMAG0184.jpg

After
IMAG0185.jpg

Problem door
IMAG0186.jpg

I pulled the door guards on my Protege, had the exact same problem. Rubbing compound and a clay bar seemed to do the trick after a good hour of work. Just make sure you know what you're doing with the rubbing compound or you can really mess up your door.

I Used a clay bar when I removed my guard last week, Clay bars work wonders. I've seen them used to remove spray paint from cars.

I still have not had a chance to fix this problem but after reading the replies that is most def the route I am going to take.

10 years in the biz and you got the right advice. Light rubbing compound or better yet a cleaner wax. Clay bar first, then the cleaner wax. Other than that it will wear off with time anyway. Not from repainting, just happens.

Just bought the mothers clay bar kit, it came with the bar, showtime polish, and some carnuba wax, I will post after pics sometime this weekend.

Back