Please HELP!!! Car on Jack Stands, can't figure out! Caliper Piston issue!

warrior86

Guys,

I really need your help. I've been battling this thing all morning/afternoon and it is not working.
For whatever reason, I just cant get the the piston to decompress back into the caliper. I know there is a little gearkey thingy behind a bolt that you have to turn with an allen wrench but it does nothing but turn. The gearkey does not looked stripped at all since it has all its grooves intact. I tried turning it with needle noose pliers and they do turn but not in. just spin. When you turn it one way, it becomes more difficult than the other. I try applying as much pressure as I can but still nothing. Am I not turning it properly? I am FACING the caliper.

The piston itself doesnt look like you can put any type of brake caliper tool into it since I do not see any grooves or places to place one in.

Here is what the piston looks like
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/2002/mazda/protege5/brake_caliper/brake_caliper_piston.html?3593=251121&slide=1

This is the kit that HF says to get, Autozone's is similar. The one in the upper right middle (3) looks like the only one that MAY work but I dont know.

image_20276.jpg

Sounds very similar to the problem I had.

If you read through that thread you'll see how I worked through the issue. I think that water had gotten into the brake fluid, which caused the piston to grow a ring of rust around its outside, which caused it to seize. Like you, my adjustment gear turned fine and was undamaged, but wouldn't move the piston. The best explanation I can think of is that the entire adjustment mechanism was rotating inside the piston along with the adjustment gear bolt, rather than the mechanism remaining stationary while the bolt turned. If you look at the pictures at the end, this might be clearer.

I assume you're refering to the front calipers? Shouldn't need to turn the piston to get it back in. Take the cap off your brake fluid resevoir and use a big C clamp to push the piston back in by hand. If that doesn't work, its seized and you should just replace the caliper. Been there, done that...

616Nickel,

let me take a look at your link!

SpecRacer17,

this is the rear caliper. the front ones i changed just fine back in the day with the C clamp. However, they dont work for the back ones.

If you use a tool to force the caliper piston back, you still won't have a usable caliper. You have to use the gear to adjust the piston so that the handbrake will work, and if the gear isn't working now, it won't once you have pushed the piston back. Plus, you will probably do some damage forcing it back in a way that is different than designed. Just go ahead and replace the caliper and be done with it.

616Nickel,

definitely seems like that is what happened with me indeed.

Per the other suggestions I've gotten, probably just replace the caliper as instructed.

-David

Back