Playlists for the USB??

Bon Scott

Contributor
:
2014.5 CX-5 GT AWD
Can anyone explain playlists for the USB?? I can create a playlist on my computer (via my media player which is Media Monkey)....and I can export the playlist to my USB stick in the form of an M3U file....along with the MP3 files in the same folder. However, when I push playlists as an option for the USB on the CX-5 head unit....it doesn't recognize it. It does recognize the artist (though not in the playlists)....but then lists all the albums that the songs are taken from....not how they are organized via the playlist. How do I get a playlist to show up on the head unit and play in the order they are intended?? I didn't see anything about this in the manual so I figured I'd put this out there as you guys know your stuff. Help a brother out!! Gotta have my tunes!!

Apologies, I initially posted this in the Engine forum...and couldn't figure out how to delete the thread after posting it. Pls reply here.

Bon

Hey Bon,

Playlists need to be in the M3UEXT (extended m3u) format, which Media Monkey may not support. I simply used Windows Media Player to create the playlists directly on the USB drive. Saved them as .m3u and works like a charm. You can put the files anywhere, but I placed them in a playlist folder at the root level.

Hey Bon,

Playlists need to be in the M3UEXT (extended m3u) format, which Media Monkey may not support. I simply used Windows Media Player to create the playlists directly on the USB drive. Saved them as .m3u and works like a charm. You can put the files anywhere, but I placed them in a playlist folder at the root level.

Hi Vroom,

Ok...so I created a Pearl Jam playlist in Media Player instead of Media Monkey. I then synced it to my USB stick. That created a folder on my USB called Music....with all the MP3's created. It also created file in the USB (at the bottom) called WPMInfo. This WMPInfo thingy is an XML file (whatever that is). When I click on it, it tries to open up a page in IE forma (my default browser is Chrome) saying the following:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<DeviceInfo>

<WMP RelationshipID="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" DeviceID="{8B441CD3-A23A-44D3-B214-F15E2CA179B9}"/>

</DeviceInfo>

So anyways....I dropped it into my USB slot in my CX-5 and waited for the stick to load (I have 16 gigs of music....takes about 2 mins to load...pain in the ass, imo Mazda really dropped the ball here). I pressed Playlists....and nothing shows up (something called VRM but nothing happens when I press on that). So, I go into my Artists option on the head unit and browse through my artists...and there's Pearl Jam. However, when I press on Pearl Jam, it lists the different albums (same as it does for the other artists)....no playlist. If I press on All Songs (for Pearl Jam)....it simply plays them all in alphabetical order...not the order in which I set within my play list.

What up?? Am I doing it wrong here?? Is there an option I should be clicking in my Media Player to do something saying M3UEXT?? I didn't see that listed anywhere....and there is no M3UEXT file on the USB stick after 'syncing'.....whereas when I exported a playlist from Media Monkey (same songs in the same order) it did create a M3U file which if I double clicked on it it would play those songs in that order....but that didn't work on the Mazda either.

Any ideas??

Bon

Strange...it didn't copy / paste the info from the XML file up above. It was a series of 000-000's....and a device ID number.

Bon

Bon,

You don't need to sync anything. Just drag and drop your music in folders any way you want. You then select songs off your USB drive to create a playlist in Windows Media player. You can then save it as an m3u file (WMP automatically saves in EXT format).

See: here for details on how to do this (under the "regular playlist" section).

Vroom...you are The Man!! That did the charm. The link to the Media Player page helped tremendously (that bit about "save list as" in the top right corner). Was about to try that other program that RedBaron mentioned in the thread listed above when your post came through clarifying the Media Player option.

I'm really diggin' this place!! Wealth of info. This playlist thing has been bugging me since I bought the vehicle in the end of February. Now, if Mazda could only get it's s*** together on the "resume play" issue.

Thx again...

Bon

Back