playing MP3 CDs

korrupt1 said:
hey...read somewhere on here that the 3 is a Sirius car?
that mean I dont need to keep my player with me anymore? Just transfer my account to the new car?

you need the sirius car reciever from mazda. The car is "sirius ready" b/c the wires are all there and its basicly plug and play, but you still have to pay extra for the reciever

jbiird317 said:
you need the sirius car reciever from mazda. The car is "sirius ready" b/c the wires are all there and its basicly plug and play, but you still have to pay extra for the reciever

ahh...gotcha. Well I already own 2 Sirius recievers so Ill just keep those...unfortunately will never see the inside of my 3 because the dealer jacked me around and I walked out on the whole damn thing. <shrugs> Guess its Tundra time instead.

I still fail to understand how one dealer can get me a killer deal on a brand new truck at 30 grand....and this lousy ass dealer couldnt score at $15k? I mean seriously....WTF?

Back from the Dead!

I brought this thread back, because I just picked-up my 2007 Mazda 3s Touring 5-door sportwagonhatch today. The salesman was giving me the walkaround, and told me that my CD (I got the 6 CD changer, because I wanted the moonroof) played MP3's. I didn't want to argue with him, but I remembered this thread, and just KNEW that wasn't true. When I got home, I popped in a couple CD's my brother had burned. The files all had .cda extensions on them (I think that is an iTunes thing), and WTF?!?, they both worked. There is no text displayed for artist or song, just disc number, track number, and time, but at least they played. This may postpone my elaborate plans to install the iPod.

BKK Jack said:
I brought this thread back, because I just picked-up my 2007 Mazda 3s Touring 5-door sportwagonhatch today. The salesman was giving me the walkaround, and told me that my CD (I got the 6 CD changer, because I wanted the moonroof) played MP3's. I didn't want to argue with him, but I remembered this thread, and just KNEW that wasn't true. When I got home, I popped in a couple CD's my brother had burned. The files all had .cda extensions on them (I think that is an iTunes thing), and WTF?!?, they both worked. There is no text displayed for artist or song, just disc number, track number, and time, but at least they played. This may postpone my elaborate plans to install the iPod.

(lol2) Congratulations. You just played two audio CD's. Cda files are 'CD Audio', and are not mp3's. Those discs will play in most any CD player.

Damian said:
(lol2) Congratulations. You just played two audio CD's. Cda files are 'CD Audio', and are not mp3's. Those discs will play in most any CD player.

That's just ******* great.(pissed) You know, it's one thing to be an idiot, but it's something totally different to have someone remind you just how stupid you are. Thanks, Damian. You're off the Christmas list.(poke)

My original intent was to prove the salesman wrong. With all I had seen on the forum, there was no way he could have been right. He told me ALL Mazda CD players were MP3 capable. Tomorrow, I am going to buy some CD-R's and burn some REAL mp3's. If you don't hear from me soon, send a 9 year old over to show me how to do it.

BKK Jack said:
That's just ******* great.(pissed) You know, it's one thing to be an idiot, but it's something totally different to have someone remind you just how stupid you are. Thanks, Damian. You're off the Christmas list.(poke)

My original intent was to prove the salesman wrong. With all I had seen on the forum, there was no way he could have been right. He told me ALL Mazda CD players were MP3 capable. Tomorrow, I am going to buy some CD-R's and burn some REAL mp3's. If you don't hear from me soon, send a 9 year old over to show me how to do it.

It's alright man, I don't think it was stupidity. It was hope. I too, hoped the damn thing would play MP3's, but I already tried. No dice. It reads the disc and starts playing the track, but no sound.

and you believed the salesman because?

ALL *current* mazdas have OPTIONAL MP3 capability... meaning, they do NOT come standard whatsoever!

TheMAN said:

ALL *current* mazdas have OPTIONAL MP3 capability... meaning, they do NOT come standard whatsoever!

I wonder if the OPTIONAL is a jumper in the head unit? It's only a software change and the capability may already be there.

NO! didn't I already say that you replace the whole CD changer unit with a different one that can play MP3s?

TheMAN said:

I didn't believe the salesman at all. For your reference, here is a portion from my original post:

BKK Jack said:
I didn't want to argue with him, but I remembered this thread, and just KNEW that wasn't true...

Damian said:
It's alright man, I don't think it was stupidity. It was hope. I too, hoped the damn thing would play MP3's, but I already tried. No dice. It reads the disc and starts playing the track, but no sound.

It was more ignorance to not recognize the .cda file extension. But when you combine that with my "Wowee, 50 other people on this forum said 'no,' but I found out all of them were wrong" post, AND that I apparently can't even burn an MP3 disk properly, stupid describes it pretty well.

icspots said:
Here's the USB audiolink install with the USB to SD card reader that I mentioned before.

By theKM on ********************** "Playing MP3's off flash cards (SD's, Memory Sticks, etc)"

Three months late, but this is totally AWESOME. I am going to do something similar without copying you. Thanks!!

I know this is an old thread but I'm picking up my MS3 soon and I have to share my thoughts. I'm getting a sport model with basically no options, so it'll have the standard CD player and speaker package. I was under the impression that the 1 disc player would play MP3 CDs. I assumed that because I owned an RX-8 for three years, and I had the 6 disc changer in it, which didn't play MP3 CDs; however, it was my understanding that the standard 1 disc player for the RX-8 did play MP3 CDs. This was my understanding, and as far as I know is actually the case for the RX-8, so I assumed (especially because my 8 was an 04 and my MS3 will be an 07...) my MS3 would play MP3 CDs. Why in the hell does every CD player produced anywhere for any reason not play MP3 CDs at this point? I'm now sufficiently irritated that I'll have a one disc CD player that won't even play MP3 CDs. I could have bought a car with that 15 years ago. What the hell?

h0rde said:
I'm now sufficiently irritated that I'll have a one disc CD player that won't even play MP3 CDs. I could have bought a car with that 15 years ago. What the hell?

Agreed. Several years ago, I bought a portable CD player for $40.00 that plays anything, and now the CD in my $19k car won't?!? Oh, well. I didn't buy it for the audio system...

i have the gt and the 6disc played burned cds undder the mp3 format. i ave tv diff head unit so it doesnt matter ne more.....plays all formats, dvds and has sd card slot

Will it be possible to replace the factory 1 disc player with an aftermarket head unit that will fit without much of a problem? I know in the RX8 you needed a whole dash kit and it completely threw off the look of the console. I'll do a swap just so I can play MP3 CDs, i'll be damned if I'm going through life with a single CD player that won't play MP3s.

honestly, the best way to go in my opinion is the ipod hook-up. I personally have it and it works amazingly... cd's may play louder but ipods can hold hundreds of cd's and you wont have to be troubled with constantly switching cds. this was the cheapest thing for me cause all i had to do was get the cord and hook it up.

Can someone confirm for me that part# BS0D79EGX is the 6 disc in-dash changer with MP3 support that can be swapped with the Bose 6 disc that comes standard with the MS3 GT? I'm working on a deal with the dealer on a car, and I'd like to go ahead and include that if I can.

Thanks a lot!

Mike

Az Mazda Driver said:
honestly, the best way to go in my opinion is the ipod hook-up. I personally have it and it works amazingly... cd's may play louder but ipods can hold hundreds of cd's and you wont have to be troubled with constantly switching cds. this was the cheapest thing for me cause all i had to do was get the cord and hook it up.
yea ipod thing is cool , but u can get a transmitter and broadcast throught radio signal with ne radio....i just like the screen o yea and you can buy a dash kit online it doesnt look bad at all it has a opening where u can put s*** in .........
Dcfn0051.jpg

well i tried the signal and radio broadcaster but it really didnt give any decent quality for me personally. then i had a friend show me his ipod hookup and it sounded pretty close to cd quality

clos561 said:
i have the gt and the 6disc played burned cds undder the mp3 format. i ave tv diff head unit so it doesnt matter ne more.....plays all formats, dvds and has sd card slot

hey was your radio a Bose one? and wold you consider selling the old unit?

Back