"Play artist" shortcuts

ranman

:
Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
While I was testing the silent MP3 trick on the USB flash in my 2014 CX-5 GT (got tired of hearing "1000 Points of Hate" by Anthrax every time, lol) I also decided to see how well the voice recognition worked to play an artist. I accidentally found out I could say "Play artist the Nuge" and it was recognized as Ted Nugent! Hilarious!

I tested 'Play artist Led Zep' and that worked, too.

Has anyone found any other "shortcuts"?

I don't know any other shortcuts, but the "Play" voice commands are the other thing that have stopped me from ripping out the stereo and hurling it off of a bridge.

Last edited:
Play artist, play genre, and play album.

Unfortunately you cannot say play song

This is all done through Gracenote

I've found it's really accurate with the "play artists" function. I have a USB stick with 4-5,000 songs plugged in, but pretty much only listen to music streaming from Spotify through the bluetooth connection, so that functionality isn't available there.

DISCLAIMER: This post contains adult language...you've been warned.

I discovered a great one today, strictly by accident. I now know that the Mazda engineers have a sense of humor. For a reason that I finally figured out, the system never recognizes that I want to play Pink Floyd's The Wall album. The reason I figured out is mine is listed as "The Wall Disc 1" and "The Wall Disc 2", so if I say either one of those it works. But for weeks now whenever I wanted to play "The Wall" I was shot down.

Enough preamble, here's what went down this morning. :)

The dialogue went something like this:

"Ready"
"Play album The Wall"
"Would you like to play album Men at Work?"
"No"
"Would you like to play album Time Out of Mind?"
"F%#* off!!"
"Cancel"

Once I stopped laughing, I tried it again on purpose, and I'm not kidding, it works every time! It also works with F$%# You.
You have to be at the point I mentioned though, if you just say it as soon as it says "Ready" it will think you want to access the phone menu.

Last edited:
Discovered these on the drive home from work today:
The Stones = The Rolling Stones
The Boss = Bruce Springsteen
Rod the Mod = Rod Stewart

J-B= James Brown
The Godfather = James Brown
E-L-O= Electric Light Orchestra
B-A-D= Big Audio Dynamite
Neil=Neil Young
Social D=Social Distortion
REM (rhymes with stem) = R.E.M.

I'm going to have to put some Elvis on my USB drive just to see if "The King" works!

Last edited:
Not as cool as some others, but I discovered that you don't have to say "Play" before a command. "Playlist 80s Rock" for example works just as well as "Play playlist 80s Rock".

How are you all creating playlists on USB? I haven't been able to get that to work.

I use a program called iTunes Export (found out about it on another thread somewhere on here). Just search for iTunes Export Eric Daugherty. As the name suggests you need to be using iTunes in the first place. When you run iTunes Export it looks at your iTunes libraries for existing playlists, so choose your play list, and choose format M3UExt. I choose to copy files (all my music files are MP3) as well, and it will create a new playlist and copy the needed tracks as well to the USB key. If you use iTunes, have a go anyway, it's fairly straight forward.

I just tested using Winamp, and that seemed to work. Both M3U and M3U8 extensions played fine. I plugged the USB drive into my computer, started Winamp, dragged the files I wanted to play into the Winamp playlist window, then hit File -> Save Playlist, specified the file type (M3U or M3U8) and file name, and saved them into a folder I cleverly named Playlists on the USB drive. The playlists showed up under the Playlist menu item, and also worked using voice recognition.

Back