Plasti Dip: 2nd Attempt with Pictures...

I just dipped the stock 19s black with a coat of glossifier on top. Pictures are posted under the "CX-5 Photos - Share your shots with us" thread. Check em' out and let me know what you think!

I did the front emblem, the bright plastic on top of the grille and am trying some eyebrows or whatever they are called on the top of the headlights, still undecided on those. They will pull off if I change my mind.....

This looks amazing!

Did you take off the grill and plasti-dip on your floor/workbench/whatever, or did you do it right on the car? What did you put behind it to keep Plasti-Dip from getting all over everything that's under the hood?

Thanks!

bitchcandrive,

Thanks, the whole grill is not dipped, just the shiny part and the emblem. I took the top shiny plastic off, but it is pretty involved as you can see in another thread: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123820570-Install-Bug-Screen-with-Gutter-Guard-and-Pet-Screen but you could do this without removing either the emblem or the plastic. I found this to be helpful:http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/forum.php and the plastidip is some fun stuff to work with, if you do not like it, it just peels off. The eyebrows I masked and if you read the forum link above, you pull the tape while it is still wet to get the clean lines, no wear issues so far with several big bug impacts that have washed off easily. I bought these to get the fasteners out, for the price, wonderful:http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/auto-body/4-piece-nylon-pry-bar-installer-kit-95214.html Have fun and enjoy the "temporary" mods.

try smoke over the chromed silver parts. it turns out great. that's what i used on my emblems. it turns out like a gun metal metalic gray.

doughboy, could we get some pics? I am wanting the gunmetal look for my emblems and would love to see how it turned out with the smoke.

here you go. later on i also did the cx-5 awd badge too, but this is a good comparison shot of how the stock chrome looks and after the dip. i like it as it is a bit more muted and dull. it doesn't scream look at it, but its just that little bit different.

dsc03071v.jpg

dsc03070lz.jpg

dsc03069we.jpg

That looks great! How many coats of smoke is that? I want to smoke all of my chrome and hit the gloss black on the front grill with black.

That looks great! How many coats of smoke is that? I want to smoke all of my chrome and hit the gloss black on the front grill with black.

thanks guys. i saw it on dipyourcar and thought i'd try it out. i've done the rear emblem and cx-5/awd. haven't done the skyactive because i can't figure out if it will look nice/work. i've also sprayed the front emblem. i plan on going back and doing the silver trim on the grill too.

what you see above is about 4 coats. the more coats you spray, the easier it is to peel. and for sure, peel once dry, don't wait for days, it becomes much too hard to take off after. i've learned the hard way.

Plastidip is also very popular for rims!

I've used them on my Enkei RPF1s for my previous car with excellent results. The coating held up in everyday driving and even up against automatic car washes with spinning bristles.

I removed the rims to Plastidip and rotated my tires at the same time. When my cousin did his car, he did it without removing the wheels from the car, and it works just as well.

14cfu3d.jpg
2hwibrn.jpg

14jc4ut.jpg

Here are a couple of informative Youtube videos:
http://youtu.be/OlyB3FbYRRs
http://youtu.be/zwUuFUbulw8

Having trouble dipping the front emblem, the outer edges tend to have bubbles for soem reaosn, jsut have to keep trying i guess. I did a test and put blakc acrylic on it, so it's the same as the plastic pice above it, and the hood protector. Looks nice they key is jsut getting the dip to set correctly. I would spray the acrylic directly on, but the dip makes it easy to remove.

Having trouble dipping the front emblem, the outer edges tend to have bubbles for soem reaosn, jsut have to keep trying i guess. I did a test and put blakc acrylic on it, so it's the same as the plastic pice above it, and the hood protector. Looks nice they key is jsut getting the dip to set correctly. I would spray the acrylic directly on, but the dip makes it easy to remove.

I haven't done the front emblem yet (on the to-do list) but on items I have done bubbling is from either too thick on the layers or not enough time between coats. Either way if there's too much liquid product built up. Try lighter layers, remember that any deep wells will need more time to dry.

I'm assuming it would work as a protector for the rear bumper, but I'm not sure if you could get very clean lines when removing the excess. When I pulled the tape off some of the Plasti-Dip came with it. It works really well with the contrasting surfaces. It would be cheap and easy to try though.
You need to peel the tape when it's still wet. Once the plastidip dries it all becomes one big piece of thin rubber and it will try and take the other "half" that isn't taped with it. I did the emblems on my 2 when I had it, and I've done a few things on my Smart Car :)

Fangs on grill area and tridion cell red:

My Miata has had plastidip on it for 5 years, lol. Front R-package lip, rollbar, center console, gauge cluster hood, and the dash. BTW, I peeled the dash just this year and I'm pretty sure I only put 2 coats on it. So it has staying power (as long as something sharp doesn't gouge it) and it will still peel years later.

i just plastidiped my front emblem and got nothing but flac for it on here :-/

Attachments

• cx5grill2.jpg
    cx5grill2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,510
  • cx5grill1.jpg
    cx5grill1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 932
i just plastidiped my front emblem and got nothing but flac for it on here :-/

Old thread I know but I'm going to plastidip all the exterior chrome and silver roof rails. This looks cool and I figure it will increase the longevity of the chrome.

Last edited:
Back