Planning for the better

sorry i didnt mean a new ecu. a dsm afc can tune for more fuel even. u could find a walbro pump, some used wrx injectors, and a dsm afc for about $550 and u'll have all the fuel u could ever want. the cut out should go before the 1st cat. cats cause back pressure. turbos hate back pressure. exhaust piping size depend on how much power you plan for. 2.5in is great up to 250whp any more n id say go 3in. i plan to eventually run a 3in full turbo back catless. right now i run 2.5in spipe back catless and i love it. turbo spools up faster, car sounds amazing, and on a good day i shoot flames out the back.

so what afc should i get i was looking today at apex but it sounds hard to tune? are they pretty confusing or not to bad?

*edit apexi wont work on our cars so what is the best one to get? keep in mind i would like easy install and a good price.

Last edited:
all i can think of is, Split Second (DSM) AFC, but make sure u get the right one and Unichip. Unichip is the easiest to install.

SeR_Cyclops said:
so what afc should i get i was looking today at apex but it sounds hard to tune? are they pretty confusing or not to bad?

*edit apexi wont work on our cars so what is the best one to get? keep in mind i would like easy install and a good price.

www.airflowlogistics.com has the Split Second AFC. They come in 2 versions. V1 without wideband logging and v2 with wideband logging. I have the v1 that I picked up for 260 shipped. I believe that it was 6 wires (3 of them taps) and a vac line. I am just running it with the stock supermap which it comes with, and I noticed an immediate change. I only have a narrowband gauge right now, but it did lean out the stock map a great deal. No more hesitation, and a lot smoother. I'm glad that this was one of my first mods. I am running right now with the AFC and a catless exhaust, and my car boosts at a 9 psi spike and settles at 8 psi. I have an alumunium hotpipe and a couple other goodies I am waiting to install but I would reccommend this mod to anyone. Its definately a nice safety net for a cheap price. About the lsd you can pick up a welded one in the 600 price range which isn't too too expensive for something that will never break. Plus if you buy a welded one you can always sell your stock one to make up for some of what you paid for the welded lsd. That is my plan. I am just hoping that the lsd holds up long enough for me to get my hands on a welded one.

ok so they arnt that hard to install what kind of injectors and fuel pump would you all recommend getting? about the lsd thats a b**** if they break! how long does it take to change one?

The AFC ... hell no, its not hard at all. I think the total install time was less than 45 mins.

I am not running bigger injectors at this time. Fuel pump, everyone I have seen has been running a walbro. The WRX injectors should be fine inless you are running some serious boost which would require a built motor.

The LSD, that would depend on where you take it, or how good you are.

well.... im going to get wrx injectors what size fuel pump should i get or is recommended? so this will fix the problem everyone names fuel cut? also i put on a atp waste gate due to the stock being bad. i have really high boost would a manual boost controller fix this spiking of boost?

the AFC fixes fuel cut. u dont need bigger injectors right now, stick with stock. and ur stock fuel pump will be fine also. a boost controller, as far as i know, cannot lower boost. it sounds like all u need is an AFC, and a boost controller if u want to up the boost...

SeR_Cyclops said:
well.... im going to get wrx injectors what size fuel pump should i get or is recommended? so this will fix the problem everyone names fuel cut? also i put on a atp waste gate due to the stock being bad. i have really high boost would a manual boost controller fix this spiking of boost?

so what will get rid of boost spikes? its high as a mfer its like 13 psi and i have a auto meter boost gauge and i dont think its off just to make sure what is norm vac pressure and i know boost is liek 6-8 right?

jestermsp said:
There has been quite a few blown motor threads due to running the uc without tuning for mods.

I don't think anyone has blown an engine with the Unichip, and if they have I doubt the Unichip was the cause.

normal vacuum pressure is... 20-25 inHG at idle wen the car is all warmed up. i can double check that, but i think thats about it. is the wastegate u replaced stock with a stock replacement? could be set to boost a little more. stock boost setting is about 6 psi. u could always just get the AFC, see how it runs with that boost setting, maybe tune it and enjoy...

SeR_Cyclops said:
so what will get rid of boost spikes? its high as a mfer its like 13 psi and i have a auto meter boost gauge and i dont think its off just to make sure what is norm vac pressure and i know boost is liek 6-8 right?

couple of ppl runnin map B on pump gas have blown a motor, but thats askin for it. no one else that i know of...

orlandomsp said:
I don't think anyone has blown an engine with the Unichip, and if they have I doubt the Unichip was the cause.

protegeric said:
couple of ppl runnin map B on pump gas have blown a motor, but thats askin for it. no one else that i know of...

Map B @ 10 psi? or map b @ stock boost? If I remember right map b should be fine on stock boost.

Let me just start off by saying welcome to the forum. You have a lot to learn man. The first thing you need to state is what your goals for the car are. Then we can actually help you. If you just randomly ask about parts blah blah blah we cant really help you. SO MAKE A GOAL. Whether is be 180whp, 220whp, 300whp! 14second quarter mile, 13 second qm, 11 second qm! Its all possible. So yeah make a goal, i'm sorry but its a lot easier to help you new guys this way.

Dude the injectors and fuel pump, and fuel cut. Are the last thing you should be worrying about on your car. If your getting them right now, something is seriously wrong. Dont boost higher until you actually have some real supporting mods unless you want to blow your s***. As far as maxing out the maf, I dont know what the hell are you talking about. Maybe going lean? But like I said, thats the last thing you should worry about. If your worried about your lsd, then buy some motor mounts, they'll greatly reduce the likelyhood of you killing your lsd.

On the topic of the Unichip map B sucks it makes your car run like crap. You shouldnt ever use that map in the first place, and yes there are several people who have blown there cars with the unichip, namely because the boost controller is not adjustable and even the slightest mods to your car will make you boost 15-17psi. I had the unichip on my ride so I know from experience.

SO MAKE A GOAL AND WE WILL HELP YOU 1000X BETTER

about the fuel cut peeps say that there is no such thing as fuel cut its where your maf maxes out... i read that whole thread on this fourm for a goal a nice spot would be low 14 high 13's

there is absolutely such a thing as fuel cut. but like i said, the AFC will get rid of it completely. i think all u need is an AFC or EMS of some type and maybe some sort of boost controller right now. then go from there. u dont need a new fuel pump or injectors.

SeR_Cyclops said:
about the fuel cut peeps say that there is no such thing as fuel cut its where your maf maxes out... i read that whole thread on this fourm for a goal a nice spot would be low 14 high 13's

and unichip map B advances timing. it kicks major ass on race fuel... probably get u an extra half second off ur 1/4 mile if ur a good driver (maybe more???). and the unichip boost controller i beleev is settable, but if u cant set it with the new PDA stuff, its only settable by an authorized tuner. and it should only be set for about 11-12 psi with a 13 psi spike. easy on the unichip there fella... ive only seen one person blow their motor on the unichip. not sayin there`s not more, but only seen one on map B minus race fuel (makes sense).

nah, i dont know. i suggest no. but i could be wrong. like i said, all map B does is advance timing. might have some detonation. ud wanna be using at least 93 octane for sure. but even then, i m not sure about it...

orlandomsp said:
So any imput on stock boost + map B?

Back