Pitted/rock chipped headlights....

Canadian Bear

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES Van: 2006 Ford Freestar SEL
I have noticed this before I purchased my Protege, and I assumed that there would be an easy solution to correct this problem. It is obvious, with these blemishes in the plastic, that the light isn't going to be as bright and instead refracts off of all of the "craters". It is even more apparent, after installing my Siverstars, that the light is very cloudy/foggy.

My questions: Has anyone experienced this sort of problem with their headlights? And, if so, how did you remedy the problem?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

idk a real good remedy but when i paint my head lights i plan to clean the clear sheild really well, and put it together sealed reallly really well. so you could try that

Yeah mine are really badly pitted as well. I have a spare light so I experimented with sanding and it turned out really well.

I used 240 grit, 600 (I need to get some 320), 1000, 1500 then 2000. I then used some polishing compound. It turned out pretty good.

I plan on fixing the two lights that are on the car then getting some 3m film overlays to protect them.

Jon

Last edited:
Here is what I have found at Napa Auto Parts. It seems that Napa has just about everything that the other parts stores don't have. If all else fails, go to Napa, or go there first to save yourself the hassles. Anyway:

img3802mn3.jpg

Last edited:
After spending a couple of hours using the contents of this kit, my headlights look worse then before. With that being said, I am not even going to bother posting pics. I am disgusted, with the result, after the amount of time and effort I put into this project. I have to find another solution.

Canadian Bear: If its unrepairable, I have a set of stock lights from my Protege that may be of some use to you. Its pitted but I don't think its as bad as what you have just described!

GhostMercury said:
how did it make them worse

Well, the kit contains different grits of sandpaper (1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500). I used them accordingly because my lenses were very pitted. After following the instructions for the sanding, I then had to apply the "plastic restoration polish". I applied it, as per normal, but no matter how much I rubbed it in, it still left the lens foggy. Mind you, the lens is nice and smooth, but very cloudy/foggy. My Silverstars shine somewhat decently, but not to their full potential. Maybe I have to keep applying the polish and hope for the best. But this stuff is so hard to apply evenly, that patience runs thin quickly.

Did you think about trying a car wax..

Mothers Cleaner Wax. (Red Tin at Canadain Tire)

It has a micro polish in it, keeps my headlights looking awesome.

Get a micro fiber cloth and go to town on them.

Canadian Bear said:
After spending a couple of hours using the contents of this kit, my headlights look worse then before. With that being said, I am not even going to bother posting pics. I am disgusted, with the result, after the amount of time and effort I put into this project. I have to find another solution.

Did you "wet sand" with the sand paper? If you didn't then that would be the cause of the cloudiness. I didn't use water while sanding with 240 grit but did with the 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000. I used Turtle Wax polishing compound (green container) for the final polish. I have enough confidence now to do this on my actual lights now (I tested on a spare light). You should be able to go back and lightly sand again using water (if you didn't the first time).

yeah, i sanded mine using that kit and wet sanding everything...my headlights are clearer now, but i probably have to spend more time polishing it to get it perfect...

jon2000 said:
Did you "wet sand" with the sand paper? If you didn't then that would be the cause of the cloudiness. I didn't use water while sanding with 240 grit but did with the 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000. I used Turtle Wax polishing compound (green container) for the final polish. I have enough confidence now to do this on my actual lights now (I tested on a spare light). You should be able to go back and lightly sand again using water (if you didn't the first time).

Actually, I may have done that part wrong. It said to keep the lens wet, but I was keeping the sandpaper wet by dipping it into water. I have to learn how to read the instructions thoroughly, before the project, instead of reading them after the fact.

As for the sandpaper, the pieces that they provide are small, and wear down quickly. I will purchase bigger pieces and try the project again. I still have lots of polish left. I will make this work.

Brian MP5T

Did you think about trying a car wax..

Mothers Cleaner Wax. (Red Tin at Canadain Tire)

It has a micro polish in it, keeps my headlights looking awesome.

Get a micro fiber cloth and go to town on them.

No. I had no idea that car wax will make a difference with headlights. I may have to try that.

I think I got my sand paper at Canadian Tire. They came in small sheets ..maybe 5 or 6 per pack. You can get that green/white container Turtle Wax polish which seems to work really well.

jon2000 said:
I think I got my sand paper at Canadian Tire. They came in small sheets ..maybe 5 or 6 per pack. You can get that green/white container Turtle Wax polish which seems to work really well.

Ok. Thanks for the info.

jon2000 said:
Let me know how everything works out for you.

I might retry that project this weekend. The funny thing is, the lens' are smooth, and they still look chipped/pitted. I guess more "elbow grease" is required to make them clear.

Are you using a rotary buffer? Polishing by hand is a painfull waste of time. I've sanded and polished scratches out of a few headlights at work.

Machine Head said:
Are you using a rotary buffer? Polishing by hand is a painfull waste of time. I've sanded and polished scratches out of a few headlights at work.

I have thought about that, but I am unsure of what kind of buffer to look for/purchase. Is there an attachment that fits a cordless drill?

Back