Pillar Pod And Gauges, This Is How It's Done!

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Well after about 3 weeks of install, and paiting and wiring my pillar and all three gauges are installed and working beautifully. The pillar is about a 99% match to the stock color and was professionally painted by a buddy of mine. I am really happy with how it all turned out and it looks like it came with the car.

413813_7971644681743664080_vl.jpg
413814_7989896427424526435_vl.jpg

413812_8294880012781790759_vl.jpg

acelesson said:
Where did you buy your pod and gauges? Also what did you use to mount the pod?

My friend has an import shop so I got everything form him, but there all autometer products, including the pillar. As far as mounting it, because it's a full pillar you really don't have to use anything, it fits snugly in place and over the stock pillar, I used a couple peices of double sided tape to make sure it was in place good though, but it was not necessary.

sweet... looks great... i'm about to get a pilla pod myself... but just wondering what everyone thinks if it's in black.. or should i try and paint it?? anyone know the color code for it??

Looks nice, and yeah good question, does anyone know the color code to match the stock pillars?

******** said:
Looks nice, and yeah good question, does anyone know the color code to match the stock pillars?

I'm not sure the pait code used, but I have a can of left over paint from what was used and it's a mixed combo of colors.

The can reads: 8oz
HS White 39.1
HS Black 48.0
LS Yelo Oxide 53.7
LS Re Oxide 57.8
Vinyl Resin 222.3

If you know any body shops that can understand that terminology maybe they can use those numbers to mix up a can for ya because those put together get you the perfect color match to what the stock color is.

melicha8 said:
Nice job dude. Those are some good looking gauges, time to upgrade to some Defi's though that would be trick.

I'm extremely happy with the autometer gauges and probably won't be changing them out anytime soon, but who knows i'm sure sooner or later i'll get sick of looking at them and want a change.

MazdaspeedZOOM said:
Well after about 3 weeks of install, and paiting and wiring my pillar and all three gauges are installed and working beautifully. The pillar is about a 99% match to the stock color and was professionally painted by a buddy of mine. I am really happy with how it all turned out and it looks like it came with the car.

413813_7971644681743664080_vl.jpg
413814_7989896427424526435_vl.jpg

413812_8294880012781790759_vl.jpg

you bastard! you stole my gauge pod and my gauges!

j/k, looks excellent- i got the same exact setup on mine.

Now you need some DaveB rings on the panel - would make it a perfect fit!

Nice pillar - I'm thinking of a 2-gauge with boost and oil press...

How did you wire the lighting for the gauges? Are the lights always on or did you connect them to the dimmer ?

Wesman said:
How did you wire the lighting for the gauges? Are the lights always on or did you connect them to the dimmer ?

I wired them to the 12v Accessory under-neather the steering wheel. The lights are always on but then I usually drive with my headlights on all the time to so it doesn't really bother me. And no there not connected to the dimmer because I never use it.

Limited Edition said:
What is it like looking at 3 guages when you drive?
Is it too busy?
Seems busy to me just looking at 3 guages on a stand still.

actually it's not to bad, I thought it might kinda be an obstruction but at night I like the moving light from the air/fuel gauge, and the glow from the boost and volt meter. I say three is the way to go, perfect fit and good looking.

Wesman said:

i wired mine off the illumination wire on the fog light switch. i believe it is the green wire with the black stripe.

can turn on and off with the parking light/headlight stalk and dim with the reostat.

Sweet, Green Wire, Black Stripe, can't wait to wire that up.

I love my turbo, Perfworks is the MAN! Can't wait to hit the dyno. Don't worry, in a few weeks, I'm going to have a ton of pics, and possibly some (mpeg)video too!

Back