Pictures of a Australian P5 with MSP Conversion

mazda_sp20

:
Mazda 323 SP20 (Australian FS-DE Protege)
Been a member on the forums for a little bit.
Purchased all my conversion bits off here and had them shipped to me.
This is the end result

INTERIOR
- Factory White face gauge dials,
- Factory Side and Rear skirts,
- Factory Fog Lights,
- Factory Nardi air-bag leather steering wheel,
- Factory Cloth Trim,
- Factory Climate control Air Con,
- Factory Power Steering,
- Optional Mazda clear headlight protectors
- Autometer 60mm Phantom Boost gauge with chrome cup
- Autometer 52mm Procomp air/fuel ratio gauge with chrome cup
- JVC Double Din DVD/CD/SD deck
- Nokia CK-7W Bluetooth car kit
- Mazdaspeed Protege 2003.5 Gear knob

ENGINE / MECHANICAL RELATED
- Mazdaspeed Protg 2003.5 Factory Turbo Conversion
- 114kw at the wheels on 8psi
- Currently running approx 130kw on 12-14psi with larger exhaust and intake
- Genuine Garrett GT25 (Ball Bearing) Turbo
- 1999 Mazda FS 626 Intake manifold (without internal butterflies)
- EMS Stinger 4424 v4 Aftermarket Standalone ECU with hand controller with software and
cabling
- Innovate LC-2 Wideband Controller Sensor Kit connected directly to ECU, with software, cabling for innovative controller. Accurately provide AFR from 8.0 to 22.0.
- 2.0L FS-DE Engine
- 5 Speed G-Series FWD Gearbox
- Mazdaspeed Cast 2.5 Dump
- 2.5" Exhaust made consisting of 2.5" mild steel tubing, 2.5" mandrel bends, 2.5" stainless steel cataylic converter, 2.5 Varex adjustable noise level
stainless steel rear exhaust with wireless remote control
- Mazdaspeed Radiator + Twin Fans
- Mazdaspeed Intercooler + Piping
- Injen Mazdaspeed Turbo Intake Kit
- Hardrace harden rubber engine mount kit
- Turbosmart Type III Supersonic BOV
- TurboXS Standard boost controller

SUSPENSION
- BC V1 Coilover Kit
Kit includes front pillow ball camber adjustable top plates, adjustable height approximately
50-60mm from factory standard height, 32 stage damper adjustable shock absorbers front and
rear. Customise spring rates front and rear
- Hardrace front lower control arms with harden rubber bushes, not polyrethane.
- 17 Genuine Mazda 6 Series 1 Luxury Sport Alloy wheels with 205/40/R17 silica tyres

sp20turbo_0024.JPG

sp20turbo_0006.JPG

sp20turbo_0012.JPG

sp20turbo_0014.JPG

sp20turbo_0017.JPG

sp20turbo_0025.JPG

sp20turbo_0030.JPG

sp20turbo_0038.JPG

sp20turbo_0039.JPG

sp20turbo_0040.JPG

sp20turbo_0042.JPG

sp20turbo_0056.JPG

sp20turbo_0063.JPG

sp20turbo_0064.JPG

sp20turbo_0066.JPG

sp20turbo_0072.JPG

sp20turbo_0073.JPG

sp20turbo_0075.JPG

sp20turbo_0076.JPG

sp20turbo_0077.JPG

sp20turbo_0079.JPG

sp20turbo_0087.JPG

sp20turbo_0088.JPG

sp20turbo_0090.JPG

sp20turbo_0091.JPG

sp20turbo_0095.JPG

sp20turbo_0096.JPG

sp20turbo_0098.JPG

sp20turbo_0099.JPG

sp20turbo_0101.JPG

sp20turbo_0103.JPG

sp20turbo_0104.JPG

sp20turbo_0114.JPG

sp20turbo_0124.JPG

sp20turbo_0126.JPG

sp20turbo_0128.JPG

sp20turbo_0132.JPG

sp20turbo_0134.JPG

sp20turbo_0136.JPG

sp20turbo_0140.JPG

Nice work!...........Wet okole seat covers, dual gauge pillar mount, MSP pedal covers & mazda 6 wagon rr wiper mod would be the only things I'd do different. Beautiful clean ride.

Nice. When you can, invest in set of new boost tubes. Those plastic ones are famous for breaking. Also the stock intercooler gets a lot of heat soak. Btw how does that standalone work for you ?

Last edited:
OK the right hand drive freakin' me out. Looks great though, nice work on the Picts.

Nice. When you can, invest in set of new boost tubes. Those plastic ones are famous for breaking. Also the stock intercooler gets a lot of heat soak. Btw how does that standalone work for you ?

Thanks everyone. Ive tried my best to modify the car without chopping the car to bits.

The heat soak is pretty bad, especially during our summer here.
I will be buying a corksport 52mm radiator and altered customs fmic kit and be fitted it soon.

The EMS ecu is going well.

I only went this path as the Australian loom has a different connector and I could not find a complete U.S. loom in time to use the factory mazdaspeed ecu I bought, as the car was in the workshop in pieces and need to be finished off for the next customer to be fitted in.

We disconnected the fuel and ignition outputs of the factory ecu, sharing the crank angle sensor, and had to add an additional camshaft sync sensor, as you can see there is 2 sensors in the picture.

The EMS is programmed to see 1 trigger point every 360 degrees as the standard camshaft has 3 lugs which is compatible to the factory ecu.

We added the camshaft sensor to the intake camshaft pulley and ground down all 3 lugs and created a new top dead end centre lug for the EMS to trigger correctly.

The factory ecu controls everything else as it normally does including idle.

The only issue that we found is the idle when I read 40 degrees+ celcius engine bay temp.
I get hunting, especailly with the air con switched on.

I fixed the aircon, by adding a air-con solenoid from a toyota corolla ae92 that adds extra air to the intake manifold when the compressor switches on that gives a perfect stable idle, and have added extra fuel in parts of the map to stablised the idle when hot.

Had issues with the factory butterflied intake plenum, and swapped it for a non butterflied manifold from a Mazda 626, and had better back to back dyno results.

The only problem is my engine is prone to pinging and should be running at least 15 degrees of timing on wide open throttle and I run 8 degrees.

Power could be more, but I dont want to go over 120kw at the wheels without building a billet bottom end first

here is a dyno right after the conversion, of my best run with the butterflied VICS manifold and non butterflied 626 manifold. This was with a factory p5 non turbo exhaust
sp20dyno01.jpg

Last edited:
For the FMIC, I would just get the universal kit from CX racing. and then build to fit.

where can I look at the cx racing kit?

My only problem is if I have a kit, I can do it over a weekend at home or do it on a 2 post hoist after work 1 day.

Cant be without a car these days. Otherwise I would much prefer to only purchase a intercooler and get the piping made my way, and hide the injen pod inside the inner guard.
But it would mean I would be without my car for 2 days left at a exhaust shop.

--

The auto fan is one of my favourites, if you select fan speed and vents on auto, its works off the selected temperature.

For example, if its 27 degrees celcius outside and I put it on 24 and switch on the aircon, the fans switch on full speed and automatically switches vents, and over time gets slower until inside reaches temperature and keeps it there.

Same thing if its cold outside and heater on inside, and in the mornings, it will wait automatically for the engine to build up temp before blowing, instead of blowing cold air.

Very nice P5, I wish we had auto climate control as an option. The CX racing kit is universal and can be bought on ebay, I am happy with mine but I did have to do some metal cutting behind the bumper.

Its funny all the options that are available for different international markets.

As far as I know, we had no cruise control as a factory option, and have no intermitted adjustable wiper setting as a factory option or no factory 4wd option

You must be able to find a locally sourced intercooler and piping. That would help instead of ordering from ebay. Any local performance shops around ?

wow great stuff!!

the gauges are new to me. ONLY km's?? where did that come from? mine are in km's but have MPH in smaller numbers as well.

Back