Picking on BMWCCA w/ my Speed3 :)

Parkeway

:
Mazdaspeed3
Barber Motorsports Park

...don't underestimate our zoom...

EDIT: Forgot to mention the point by that I got from a 2010 GT-R (no joke)...of course my wife had the camera on that run so no in-car. I'll try to find some pictures so I don't get hazed here :)

Last edited:
What run group were you in? I believe that he car you passed at 4:31 was an E36 M3; they weigh about the same as an MS3 but only have 240 bhp stock. I had a student in an E60 M5 and he was very intimidated by the car, we wound up giving point-bys to a Spec E30 M3 and a 1968 Mustang(!).
Nice video.

Last edited:
Nice. Was this a mixed class group? Did you lap the same M5?

No, this was all "Group 'C'", which, for the BMWCCA means you've got at least one track weekend at said track under your belt. And while I can't remember if I got the M5 twice (they all start to look alike) I do know I would lap 3-4 cars each session: In particular the CooperS, 335i and random others.

The thing about Barber is that it is VERY technical, and requires a good line (and laaate braking). Some call it "the great equalizer". But our car is a different beast. It rotates with the best cars out there, and yet has the *punch* to pull on most cars.

I'm still trying to dig up some pictures of the pass on the GT-R (I did it twice that weekend). Story goes like this: I rolled out just in front of the GT-R, and on the first trip down the front stretch, my instructor suggested I let him by (his words were "he's got gobs of HP so let him by"), so I did. I proceed to stay right on him all the way around the track, and as my brakes (dba4000 and Carbotechs) and tires (Kunho XS 225's) came up to temperature, I was being held up by him.

Then, out of 14 and 15, I had such a run that he *had* to point me by.

And I never saw him again.

It is my opinion is that this car's strength is not in a 40-100 pull on the interstate, or a 1/4 mile drag race, but a full-out-balls-to-the-wall track session, where the braking, handling, and power come together to create high-speed driving perfection.

Hope you enjoyed the video - more soon from VIR...

UPDATE: Today at 10:31 AM. Found a couple of pics "after" the pass :(

[URL=http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gtrpass1.jpg][/URL]

[URL=http://img94.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gtrpass2.jpg][/URL]

Last edited:
Definitely a fail driver in that GTR.

A GTR can and will slaughter an MS3 with an average driver.
But a good driver in an MS3 vs a poor driver in the GTR the MS3 can come out on top.
I have been there myself, last track day, there were 3 GTRs in my group, 2 owned me, and I owned the other.

Definitely a fail driver in that GTR.

A GTR can and will slaughter an MS3 with an average driver.
But a good driver in an MS3 vs a poor driver in the GTR the MS3 can come out on top.

You'd never hear me suggest otherwise....however, in this case, you had two drivers with equal time on the same track in two c o m p l e t e l y mismatched cars and the slower car winds up being the faster car. That's what makes Barber so great - you wouldn't see this happen at VIR or RA.

But then again I've seen Spec Miatas pass just about everything.

ha....LOL
good to know you were slapping GT-R's around...but I'm not surprised at all.
its a common saying around the pits "want a fast rider..give him a slow bike"

I really think same fun can be had at the track with a 22k car vs a 80k car.
I don't know how far you are from Road Atlanta..but you should try that track if you get time.

Its sheer epicness...lots of elevation changes and blind corners and late braking zones.

ha....LOL
good to know you were slapping GT-R's around...but I'm not surprised at all.
its a common saying around the pits "want a fast rider..give him a slow bike"

I really think same fun can be had at the track with a 22k car vs a 80k car.
I don't know how far you are from Road Atlanta..but you should try that track if you get time.

Its sheer epicness...lots of elevation changes and blind corners and late braking zones.

Agreed; it's a fantastic track.

Back