Picked up our 5 yesterday!

Scott Y

We went from a 97 540i to an 07 Whitewater Pearl Touring 5sp.
We had a prospective buyer for the 540, so we went to the only dealership in town with a 5sp Sport showing in their online inventory from mazdausa.com.

We get there and say we want to drive a 5sp 5, the salesman (Josh) says no problem and goes to get one. He shows up at the door with the Touring that we end up buying, loaded with almost exactly the options we wanted (base Touring, white or silver).

We go for a drive and the car is pleasant enough. Josh is very helpful and informative regarding the vehicle, never pushy or invasive.

We get back to the dealership and go home, explaining that we have to sell the 540i first before we can buy anything. Later that day we sell our BMW, and we call Josh and tell him we'd be down there in an hour to buy the same 5 that we had driven earlier. We get there and about an hour later (about 6:00pm) and notice that the same 5 that had 12 miles on it now had 20, so someone else was test driving that day, too. At 7:30pm we're driving our 5 home.

The only bad mark on the deal is that they used some weird cleaner on the interior and the smell was burning our eyes on the drive home. We had to pick up or daughter from her daycare provider on the way home, and the first comment she had when she got in the car was 'the new car is stinky.' She just turned 3, so that comment was pretty funny. I opened the windows last night and it's been sitting in the garage opened up like that, so hopefully today it's a little better.

We just need to add the sunroof deflector and the rear bumper guard and we're all set. Looking forward to many trouble-free miles!

We did the deal under S-Plan, OTD = $20,449.

I've never owned a new vehicle before, it's quite exciting.

-Scott Y

Hope that smell got out of your mazda5, and welcome abroad to the mazda5 family. Also you got a good deal on it. zoom zoom:cool:

congratulations. I remember your post a few months ago about the child seat and your beemer. Hope you enjoy your 5 as much as we enjoy ours.

Wow, good memory!
Our 3 year old was happily looking out the side window, something she couldn't do easily before. They used some weird cleaner on the interior, it was actually making our eyes water on the ride home. We left it sit overnight and all day in the garage at home, hopefully it's a little less stinky when we take it out tomorrow. We've only put 20 miles on it, we're looking forward to driving it.

doctorz said:
congratulations. I remember your post a few months ago about the child seat and your beemer. Hope you enjoy your 5 as much as we enjoy ours.

welcome, nice color choice, good deal.... and keep us posted on gas mileage and what nots. So does the daughter dig it?

2 week report:
I filled it up for the first time, we put 337 miles and used 13.8gal of gas, mixed city/highway=24.4 mpg. That's about what I was expecting.

Our daugher likes it, it's certainly easier to get her into her seat in the 5 than it was in the 540. Her shoes mark up the fabric on the back of the front seat pretty badly, something I didn't think about in the 540 because the leather just wiped off easily.

So far I'm happy with it, and we've already used it to cart some household stuff home from Target that wouldn't have fit in any of our vehicles, and my wife used it to help a friend haul some cakes.

The visibility when backing up is a little poor, but the rest of the sightlines seem ok. As far as power goes, there seems to be enough to suit the character of the vehicle. I'm sure glad we have a 5 speed and not the auto.

The smell I mentioned earlier is finally gone. They must have used some crazy ammonia cleaner on something in the interior.

You will not miss the BMW. We have Mazda5 and an E320. We never use the Benz, instead the 5 goes everywhere! We considered the R class before the Mazda, but the Mazda was simply a better car for our needs. Enjoy!

Scott Y said:
The visibility when backing up is a little poor, but the rest of the sightlines seem ok.

Compared with every other minivan I've driven, including our old MPV, the visibility in the 5 is like a greenhouse. I think it's just the nature of the vehicle type.

doctorz said:
Compared with every other minivan I've driven, including our old MPV, the visibility in the 5 is like a greenhouse. I think it's just the nature of the vehicle type.

yeah its nice indeed because you know the back window is almost where the bumper is.... now the front is different story. So far we've gotten 25mpg in town nearly zero hwy on our first 3 tanks.... 300ish miles on 12gallons... right about where the light comes on.

raspykart said:
yeah its nice indeed because you know the back window is almost where the bumper is.... now the front is different story. So far we've gotten 25mpg in town nearly zero hwy on our first 3 tanks.... 300ish miles on 12gallons... right about where the light comes on.

Ya I find it easier determining where the back bumper is then the front bumper... the front end just drops completely out of view....

Back