Picked up my P5 today!

xclusive

:
2003 Protege 5
Picked up my P5 today! (w/pics)

Hey all, just a quick hello and glad to be part of the Protege5 family :)

Seattle, WA
03, Automatic
80k miles

I'm having some issues with random cylinder misfire codes, but there seems to be a lot of info here on replacing coil packs.

Also.. any direction on roof racks? My P5 is ready with the rails and caps... I've read new racks are upwards of $300?

Transplant from the VWVortex forums... Glad to be here
-Kerstan

No Mods yet - nothing new to you all, but she's new to me :)

P5%20001.jpg

P5%20006.jpg

Last edited:
welocme, and yes...lots a great info and people to help you out!
check this out:
The cause is typically a vacuum leak in the intake manifold, throttle body or vacuum plumbing, a defective Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve that is leaking exhaust into the intake manifold, or even bad gasoline. Less common causes include bad spark plug wires, worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak ignition coil, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or weak valve springs. If a misfire is occurring in only one or two cylinders, you will usually find a misfire code for that specific cylinder rather than a random misfire code.
someone may be selling those rails you need for the roof rack...check the for sale section.
good luck with the car!(2thumbs)

random cylinder missfires
*Check Coil Packs
*Check Spark Pugs
*Check Fuel Injectors for leaks
*PCV Valve may need replacing
umm thats about all i can think of right now, i just had this problem and it was a fuel injector O ring leaking fuel

as to the racks, u can find them used, on here or local, or new at the dealership and thats about it

EDIT: dam u beat me bazooka lol

Welcome....the others have addressed your misfire issues and I wish you luck.

There is a lot of good info to be found here as well as some good people.

Post up some pics when you get a chance.

Thank you all for the quick responses..

Swapped the plugs, wires, and ordered the coils today!

(Big THANK YOU to Debbi who hooked me up with a roof rack at a great price, along with installation instructions and printed How To's! I love this community already!)

Damn, looks so good without the huge black deals along the roof when you have no roof rack!

Can the 02's have no roof rack sides like that? I was under the impression that the caps didn't work on ours, unless I'm thinking of something else.

welcome, and thats one CLEAN engine bay :D
ya interested in buying an AEM Short Ram Intake? I know a guy whose wanting to sell it or trade it for stock intake.

Hey Worbit - welcome to Washington! I moved up here (Bremerton) many, many moons ago from San Diego - it was a HUGE change but despite all the rain, I could never leave here!

Back