Picked up a BLUE MP3 yesterday

:
2001 Mazda MP3
This is my third Mazda. First was a 2002 LX, then and 08 MS3, now 2001 MP3. It has a couple issue that need addressing, but the motor and transmission seem stout.

Yellow and close to Charlottesville.

It needs a lot of work which is why I was planing on trading it in to a dealership for a Mazda 3

Yellow and close to Charlottesville.

It needs a lot of work which is why I was planing on trading it in to a dealership for a Mazda 3

Wanna trade ecu's? Factory P5 ecu and some cash for an MP3 ecu? If you got it to the dealership for trade before the VTCS code was thrown, they'd never know haha...i'm mostly kidding, but if you're willing to do that i'd be all over it...

We may actually be taking a day trip to pa to look at a Mazda 3 if I do that I can give you the name if the dealership and you can just take it for a test drive and swap them yourself

haha that would be awesome...but a bit shady. Honestly i should just buy the whole thing, my girl's car (a 1999.5) Jetta is dying quickly.

Come buy it for what it needs I think 3200 is fair, the dealers that have looked at it offered 2200-2600

Considering there's 3 msp's in may area for 6-8k. One of them originally asking 11k lol

What does it need? Any rust? how many miles? I've always considered another 3rd gen protege in decent shape for her, as they are very easy to work on relative to her disaster of a jetta (just changing an oil pan required a handful of SSt's and a total of like 20 little rusted allen screws...)...honestly her jetta is in better overall shape than my P5 (shouldn't have said its 'dying', its just a hassle usually), and worth a lot more (leather, heated seats, only around 100k miles)...its just so a pain in the ass to do any work on...plastic over everything, ridiculous design for what should be routine maintenance, etc...thats the only reason we dislike it.

but this is tricky...as how would i explain it to her when i started pulling shat out of the Mp3 to put on my p5? Not trying to lead you on or anything, its most likely we'll buy something newer that we won't need to worry about as much as mine.

Last edited:
What does it need? Any rust? how many miles? I've always considered another 3rd gen protege in decent shape for her, as they are very easy to work on relative to her disaster of a jetta (just changing an oil pan required a handful of SSt's and a total of like 20 little rusted allen screws...)...honestly her jetta is in better overall shape than my P5 (shouldn't have said its 'dying', its just a hassle usually), and worth a lot more (leather, heated seats, only around 100k miles)...its just so a pain in the ass to do any work on...plastic over everything, ridiculous design for what should be routine maintenance, etc...thats the only reason we dislike it.

but this is tricky...as how would i explain it to her when i started pulling shat out of the Mp3 to put on my p5? Not trying to lead you on or anything, its most likely we'll buy something newer that we won't need to worry about as much as mine.

Has 168k no rust but it needs valve seals and front strut bearings, an end link tab broke off one of the rear struts, rear caliper leaks, clear coat is peeling on the drivers door. And it will be needing or getting tires soon depending on how long we keep it

Quick update. I swapping out the Driver side lower control arm this weekend.

Also will be changing the front sway-bar end links to the Escape end links, and putting in new Rear sway-bar links. Hopefully this will "tighten" the car up a little bit.

This summer I plan on doing to rust proofing on the under carriage and address some surface rust issues on the exterior.

without pictures i can only imagine it like this in my head :(

443b28829e.jpg

Back