Phone Mount for Navigation

Thanks for the photos, stumbles. I hadn't thought of that place. I'll hold mine up there when it comes and test that out too.

On the BT issue with maps, I have streamed Google maps directions via my BT and have not had to have music on. I am running Android, so it may be a difference there. But I press the BT tab, start up GM, and have no problems with the audio stream.

Thanks for the photos, stumbles. I hadn't thought of that place. I'll hold mine up there when it comes and test that out too.

On the BT issue with maps, I have streamed Google maps directions via my BT and have not had to have music on. I am running Android, so it may be a difference there. But I press the BT tab, start up GM, and have no problems with the audio stream.

Interesting, so you get maps directions via BT when the audio console says "Paused" for BT music?

I wonder if its an iOS vs. Android difference or if I'm doing something wrong.

I don't remember if it says "Paused" or not. I just know that I don't have to play music. I turn the system to BT and whatever is playing from my phone (Google maps, BeyondPod podcast, etc.) plays through the system. If it's my podcast program (BeyondPod) I know it's not paused - it shows the program and I can control it via the touch screen, but I just don't remember what it says for GM as I usually use the Nav system for map directions. But I do know I don't have to play music to hear map directions - that would be pretty annoying. I just start GM and the sound comes out the system via the BT.

Anyone else notice this issue?

Yep, just as you describe.
I had family in town (Atlanta area as well) and was taking them to various places. I tried using my iPhone 4 with voice command via BT and Google Maps. It did not work for me as you described it went into pause mode, which then I did not get any instructions. I pretty much knew where I was going and had an old school hand written cheat sheet for exits and turns.

I am tempted to just get a 2013 Garmin Nuvi and be done with it.

Doesn't sound like adding the Mazda TOMTOM is worth getting, the iPhone screen is too small for me to see without reading glasses and the BT voice command via iPhone apps cannot be trusted at the moment.

I asked a friend that upgraded his 2012 Toyota Tundra HU last year to a 7" Pioneer Navteq was worth the upgrade and he says he only uses part time now and uses his Samsung Galaxy phone for his business travel. He did not think it was worth the money for the Pioneer and installation. He said it has its own share of quirks and will sometime lag or not lead him to the correct location. His entire day is visiting clients or delivering in Atlanta metro area so GPS is fairly crucial.

If I had my wish list with these eyes that getting harder to see things on the fly without reading glasses I sure would love to have a screen in the 10" range :)

Last edited:
Ugh, I can't stand voice instructions in navigation, I turned them all off.
Hey guys, here's a thought, use a simple AUX cable for your audio for your phone for Google Maps instead of Bluetooth.

Yep, just as you describe.
I had family in town (Atlanta area as well) and was taking them to various places. I tried using my iPhone 4 with voice command via BT and Google Maps. It did not work for me as you described it went into pause mode, which then I did not get any instructions.

Yes, I'm now pretty sure this is a quirk of the Apple iOS and the way it handles turn-by-turn voice navigation. Perhaps it will be changed in the upcoming 7.0 version. Just so you know, you WILL get turn-by-turn navigation directions with Apple Maps or Google maps if you have music playing over Bluetooth (the music volume will dim and the voice nav with come on).

Ugh, I can't stand voice instructions in navigation, I turned them all off.
Hey guys, here's a thought, use a simple AUX cable for your audio for your phone for Google Maps instead of Bluetooth.

Yes, they can be annoying but also useful sometimes. I have not tested it, but I'm fairly positive that your suggestion of an AUX cable would work...however, that obviously negates the wireless benefits of BT.

Another workaround I thought of would be to have a completely silent "music" track playing over Bluetooth in the music app. You wouldn't hear anything but the voice nav would still work. Its kind of silly but I think that would work.

-stumbles

I've been using a Gomadic suction cup mount since 2009 for a lot of travel. It's now in my CX-5 and works great. I use the suction cup to mount it on the windshield but the kit I bought includes a sandbag-style, weighted platform that can sit on top of the dash.

I mout this above the dash so when using Waze for crowdsourced based traffic monitoring and GPS mapping, I can not only easily see the display but also interact with the unit without taking my eyes too far off the road. If you haven't tried Waze, do so, it's great! http://www.waze.com/

It's very secure, and I can't remember it falling off. I can remember my TomTom GPS suction falling off repeatedly, but not this one.

It's odd shape is because it has an adjustable width and height. Works with my iPhone3 in an Otterbox Defender and iPhone5 in a new-design Otterbox Defender.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Another workaround I thought of would be to have a completely silent "music" track playing over Bluetooth in the music app. You wouldn't hear anything but the voice nav would still work. Its kind of silly but I think that would work.

Just an update: I tried this method and it does work. I made a 2 hour silent .mp3 track using a low bitrate (to save space) and put it on my iPhone 4S. It "plays" over BT allowing the voice nav to come through.

-stumbles

Just an update: I tried this method and it does work. I made a 2 hour silent .mp3 track using a low bitrate (to save space) and put it on my iPhone 4S. It "plays" over BT allowing the voice nav to come through.

-stumbles

Maybe it's an iOS issue.
Just tried on my Android phones, works perfectly.
I turned BT on and was listening to music. I turned Google Maps Nav on and music volume lowered when voice directions came. I then exited the music app and voice nav kept working.

If you haven't tried Waze, do so, it's great! http://www.waze.com/

Thanks for the tip on Waze.
I tried it this morning on the way to the gym (and work commute) as a trial. Although I could not see my phone screen without my reading glasses (packed away in my cooler) the app worked great and just like I wanted.

I was able barely able to see the icon on the phone to get it started, the phone synced up BT with the HU and Waze spoke the first turn so I switched the HU back to FM and it worked all the way. It muted FM just like an incoming phone call, gave the audible direction, and then went back to playing the FM station. This did not happen with Google Maps or at least not yet. With the other nav apps I had to have it playing music from the phone like stumbles mentioned and even then it would pause and I had to take my eyes off the road and fiddle with the HU to get it to work again which is not good.

The drawback for me when I used audible navigation like last weekend was driving with two women and a strong willed child in the car (adult conversation, kid acting up, mom rebuking child) so the volume was too low to hear directions anyway. I really needed a big screen to see without reading glasses and no sound for that situation.

When I was shopping for cars a few months ago having a good infotainment system was one of my big items so I certainly moved it down in priorities as I got closer to the purchase and chose the CX-5. The next choice under the CX-5 was the 2014 Subaru Forester and that is a company that cares very little about audio or navigation. You can see massive complaints on the Subaru owner forums for the systems put in all of their cars. When I test drove a top of the line Forester the stereo was terrible and the nav system even worse.

On paper it looked like Kia was focused in providing an improved system and the newer cars getting a larger screen. I don't have personal experience with Kia's UVO, but in reviews it really looks good with free updates. I was hoping that the announcement of the Mazda 3 would have a much better system and it appears they have bumped it up a little, but still does not seem to be their priority. At least the Mazda is a notch above Subaru.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on Waze.
I tried it this morning on the way to the gym (and work commute) as a trial. Although I could not see my phone screen without my reading glasses (packed away in my cooler) the app worked great and just like I wanted.

I was able barely able to see the icon on the phone to get it started, the phone synced up BT with the HU and Waze spoke the first turn so I switched the HU back to FM and it worked all the way. It muted FM just like an incoming phone call, gave the audible direction, and then went back to playing the FM station. This did not happen with Google Maps or at least not yet. With the other nav apps I had to have it playing music from the phone like stumbles mentioned and even then it would pause and I had to take my eyes off the road and fiddle with the HU to get it to work again which is not good.

The drawback for me when I used audible navigation like last weekend was driving with two women and a strong willed child in the car (adult conversation, kid acting up, mom rebuking child) so the volume was too low to hear directions anyway. I really needed a big screen to see without reading glasses and no sound for that situation.

When I was shopping for cars a few months ago having a good infotainment system was one of my big items so I certainly moved it down in priorities as I got closer to the purchase and chose the CX-5. The next choice under the CX-5 was the 2014 Subaru Forester and that is a company that cares very little about audio or navigation. You can see massive complaints on the Subaru owner forums for the systems put in all of their cars. When I test drove a top of the line Forester the stereo was terrible and the nav system even worse.

On paper it looked like Kia was focused in providing an improved system and the newer cars getting a larger screen. I don't have personal experience with Kia's UVO, but in reviews it really looks good with free updates. I was hoping that the announcement of the Mazda 3 would have a much better system and it appears they have bumped it up a little, but still does not seem to be their priority. At least the Mazda is a notch above Subaru.

Wow, thanks maxwax and felt_rider, I'll have to try out Waze. I had no idea it could do what you are describing (give voice nav directions over BT, even when the head unit has another mode selected), that sounds fantastic!

Felt_Rider, we have a lot in common. We are both in Georgia, and we both decided between a CX-5 and a 2014 Forester. I think we made the right choice. The new Forester is nice (and safe too), but the interior is lacking in some pretty major ways...including the infotainment unit as you pointed out.

I wonder if you looked at the Ford Escape since it has the largest infotainment screen in any of the compact crossovers I test-drove. I know that Ford Sync has a bad reputation, but at least it has size going for it.

From reading on this forum it sounds like Mazda is going with a new head unit in next year's models.

-stumbles

I've got this holder:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

And I love it. It fits in the armrest holder when I am not suing it. I replaced the wing nut with an M6 (I think) knurled screw, so it blocks the top stereo buttons less. I can charge the phone from the center console jack and can keep my eyes up (and use the phone at lights). Plus, I have yet to put a Cd in teh CX-5, so it's not taking up any valuable space ;)

I wonder if you looked at the Ford Escape since it has the largest infotainment screen in any of the compact crossovers I test-drove. I know that Ford Sync has a bad reputation, but at least it has size going for it.

-stumbles

I never really consider the Ford Escape. I think because I first started my car search I was looking more in small hatchback category and started with Ford Focus on the top of the list. Between reading the complaints about the Ford info system and major repairs on new cars I got totally scared of Ford as I have in the past. Of the hatchbacks I was looking at Focus, Fiesta, Prius, Kia Forte (not released yet) and Mazda 3.

Since we already own a Mazda 3 we decided it wasn't a good idea to have two small cars so I jumped up to the small SUV's and from those only had the CX-5, Forester and new Rav4. We never looked at the Rav4 and we test drove the Forester which we both thought had a nice refined feel, but in the end the CX-5 won out based on so many positive owner reviews. So far I am really happy with the CX-5 and the only thing I would like to have better is the nav system.

I am so used to Garmin products that I may end up just getting a new Nuvi with a 5 or 7 inch screen that I can see.

Here's how I have it set up:
kGJn1Qw.jpg

Mine just arrived today, Mine wouldn't stay/stick to that area for some reason, It's not completely flat.
I had to put mine on the dash on top and to the left of the screen.
I couldn't find anywhere else to put it. I wanted to put it just to the left of the Clock but it wouldn't stay properly either.
There's not a lot of flat areas in the CX-5 interior. :/

Mine just arrived today, Mine wouldn't stay/stick to that area for some reason, It's not completely flat.
I had to put mine on the dash on top and to the left of the screen.
I couldn't find anywhere else to put it. I wanted to put it just to the left of the Clock but it wouldn't stay properly either.
There's not a lot of flat areas in the CX-5 interior. :/

I just ordered one, I want to use it in that location too, I'll report back tomorrow.

Wow, thanks maxwax and felt_rider, I'll have to try out Waze. I had no idea it could do what you are describing (give voice nav directions over BT, even when the head unit has another mode selected), that sounds fantastic!

You can explore the Waze traffic capabilities online using a web based livemap here: https://www.waze.com/livemap/

Towards the end of my stay in the Washington DC area, there were many occasions where I wanted to take a highway onramp and go somewhere via that highway, but I would actually drive on a bridge going over the highway first and peer out to see if the highway was horribly backed up. If it was, I'd choose an alternate route and if not, I'd double back and get on the highway.

Waze is a solution to this because it lets you explore crowd sourced real-time traffic before you travel and as you travel. Several times in the I-25 area that wraps around the west side of Denver I've chosen to get off the highway and take a longer route just to avoid sitting in traffic. All because Waze warned me first.

Sorry to sound like a salesperson for Waze: I'm not, and I don't get anything in return. I've just used it enough to appreciate it.

For those of you who have used suction cup mounts, except for the inside of the windshield, where did you find a place where the cup will hold. I have one of those snap-on cups from Garmin and the only place it will hold is the strip where the clock is right above the right air conditioning controls. And then if the car heats up in the sun, it falls off. Going to use my Garmin Nuvi 2455 ($130 at Costco) and just ignore the TT totally.
Thanks for any help.

OK, answered my own question. Dug into a box of old RAM parts used on previous Garmin units. Came up with a 9" gooseneck windshield mount. And with it's 3 1/4" mechanical suction cup, I found that it will fit in the cubbyhole below the dash right alongside of the 12v outlet. The mechanical cup anchors securely and the mount for the GPS will be right in front of the middle knob of the air conditioning or a little to the right. Just ordered the GPS bracket from GPSCity. I know it's low and not right in the line of sight so I'll have to see it that works out - may have to get a longer gooseneck. :)

You can explore the Waze traffic capabilities online using a web based livemap here: https://www.waze.com/livemap/

Towards the end of my stay in the Washington DC area, there were many occasions where I wanted to take a highway onramp and go somewhere via that highway, but I would actually drive on a bridge going over the highway first and peer out to see if the highway was horribly backed up. If it was, I'd choose an alternate route and if not, I'd double back and get on the highway.

Waze is a solution to this because it lets you explore crowd sourced real-time traffic before you travel and as you travel. Several times in the I-25 area that wraps around the west side of Denver I've chosen to get off the highway and take a longer route just to avoid sitting in traffic. All because Waze warned me first.

Sorry to sound like a salesperson for Waze: I'm not, and I don't get anything in return. I've just used it enough to appreciate it.

Waze is awesome. On a recent trip to the the beach, Waze routed me around a backed up tunnel in Mobile Alabama . Before the tunnel my wife was half an hour ahead of me in another car; after the tunnel I was 15 minutes ahead of her. I also love the fact that you can enter police and wreck locations real time. The crowd sourced data capability sets it apart.

I mount my phone with a strong hard drive magnet attached to the dash with adhesive tape and stainless steel collar stay cut in half mounted inside of my battery cover of my phone. I can change the orientation portrait or landscape and my phone is really just grab and go and I have an NFC tag mounted on the dash as well that toggles Bluetooth on and off. I wired a retractable micro USB cable in the cracks between the controls and dash and plug it in when needed. I may add Qi wireless charging if can find time.

For travelling in rental cars I use CD based mount called the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) It works in the CX5, but it may block some of your touch screen controls if mounted in portrait mode.

Back