Phone Mount for Navigation

stumbles

:
Madza CX-5 Touring FWD (Bose/Moonroof) Meteor Gray
I just got my CX-5 Touring and I'm loving it. I did not get Navigation to save money, but I'm hoping to use my iPhone 4S for navigation.

I can get the turn-by-turn over the Bluetooth, but sometimes its nice to see the screen too.

I'm wondering if anyone has a phone car mount that works well on the CX-5.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Which mount did you buy?

Where did you mount it?

Thanks!

-Stumbles

Thanks for the responses.

I'm thinking of doing something similar to what this guy did on his Chevy, mount it inside wall of the cubby on the center console.

61wjEIERstL.jpg

-Stumbles

If you want to use it for NAV purposes, your iPhone should be higher up on the dash. Otherwise, how will you look at it while driving?

I'm thinking of doing something similar to what this guy did on his Chevy, mount it inside wall of the cubby on the center console.

61wjEIERstL.jpg

-Stumbles

Hmm...maybe...

Perhaps I'll shoot for higher up on the dash...I would just rather not having it impede my view.

-stumbles

Just bought the suction cup mounted Scosche at Meijer. Have a long trip coming up this weekend so I didn't have time to order one. I've heard the Proclips and Mountek ones are good (but pricey).

I had a KUDA mount in my old car, their quality is impeccable. The color matched my interior perfectly. I've been looking for pics on my hard-drives, but I don't think I took any unfortunately.

I ended up getting the mount from Amazon in my original post and mounting it on the piano black plastic dash detail next to the right-center vent. Works/looks pretty solid, I'm happy with it.

Only random question: Is seems like turn-by-turn navigation directions from my iPhone 4S over bluetooth can only come through if there is music playback at the same time. Is this true?

Example, I have directions going through Apple Maps or Google Maps (I tried both) and the BT tab selecting in audio. If the BT audio is "paused" then there are no turn-by-turn directions read over the stereo. If I have music playing, then the music volume is lowered and directions read out over the stereo.

Have you noticed this? Have a workaround?

Thanks,
-stumbles

This is mine... a little "outside the box" and maybe it'll give folks some ideas. It's a combination of:

- Garmin Dash Mount (like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned))
- Garmin Nuvi 2xx clip (like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned))
- Cheap eBay Samsung Galaxy III clip-on case
- (Samsung Galaxy III phone)

The phone case was slightly modified with a couple of edge-grooves to accept the tabs on the nuvi clip. The Garmin dash mount was screwed onto the center dash grill with a couple of short screws from underneath and can be used for a real Nuvi with it's factory clip, or for the phone. (I also hard-wired a Garmin power supply under the grill :))

attachment.php

attachment.php

Note: the CX-5 center grille is a cheap part (~$15) and can be replaced if I remove the mount, and/or sell the car.

Mnt1.jpgMnt2.jpg

-Stumbles

I have the nav system but am looking for a place to have my phone that's handy. I like that spot because it can be plugged in and is out of the way. Do you know what kind of mount that is?
Thanks.

I have the nav system but am looking for a place to have my phone that's handy. I like that spot because it can be plugged in and is out of the way. Do you know what kind of mount that is?
Thanks.

Yup, same one as the link to Amazon in my original post.

However, I bought this mount and it will NOT fit as shown in the picture of the Chevy. Well, not quite anyway (the 12V power plug gets in the way). I think you could mount it on the side closer to the driver seats (opposite the 12V plug in), but I found that it pretty much takes up the entire cubby area doing this.

I ended up putting it on the piano black trim higher up, next to one of the air vents. Pictures to follow.

-stumbles

Thanks for the info. I just ordered one. I'm not sure exactly where I'll put it yet, so I'm interested in what you did. I use my phone to stream Pandora so I don't need to access it so much, but I do like to be able to grab it sometimes when I'm in the passenger seat. I connect it to the charger in the center console and have thought about even mounting it on the side of the console somehow - sort of like a holster. This looked lower profile so I'm hoping to get it to work someplace.

Only random question: Is seems like turn-by-turn navigation directions from my iPhone 4S over bluetooth can only come through if there is music playback at the same time. Is this true?

Example, I have directions going through Apple Maps or Google Maps (I tried both) and the BT tab selecting in audio. If the BT audio is "paused" then there are no turn-by-turn directions read over the stereo. If I have music playing, then the music volume is lowered and directions read out over the stereo.

Anyone else notice this issue?

Latest posts

Back