Phone car mount suggestions.

Ram mounts. I didn't take the advice, I spent $10 here, and $15 here and $20 there, trying to find a good, cheap mount. Probably bought 4 mounts before I sucked it up and bought the Ram Mount for $55. Seems expensive, but everything else is junk in comparison, seriously.

www.rammount.com

Also sold elsewhere like Amazon, but with less customization options on the arms and such.

Really, if you want a good mount, save yourself the time, money, and headache, and just buy the gold standard mount first.

Last edited:
I think you the correct website is http://www.rammount.com/

Ram mounts. I didn't take the advice, I spent $10 here, and $15 here and $20 there, trying to find a good, cheap mount. Probably bought 4 mounts before I sucked it up and bought the Ram Mount for $55. Seems expensive, but everything else is junk in comparison, seriously.

www.rammounts.com

Also sold elsewhere like Amazon, but with less customization options on the arms and such.

Really, if you want a good mount, save yourself the time, money, and headache, and just buy the gold standard mount first.

Montar Car Mount. I did a ton of research because I didn't want to have to put a mount in my car (just don't like the look of mounts on dashes and windows), but realized that I needed one, so if I was goimg to use one, it had to be good looking unobtrusive and work really, really, really well. It does. Great reviews and it works exactly as described... SUPER solid, yet removable and re-usable as many times as you want. Bought another for our other car! It's also available and cheaper on amazon.

Last edited:
This is what I use. Those of you who read my threads know I like cheap little mods. Available from eBay for about $3 (https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)). You do need to get a sticky pad for the suction cup to stick properly on the dash.
Also pulled a charging cable to come out of the dash at that spot.

8etypazy.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

^^^ I had that same one. Had for about a year and a half. Then I got my other one because it was a bit more refined I think. Regardless, both will hold the phone with no issues vertically or horizontally. I've never had either one get loose and drop my phones.

Steelie (careful, magnet and credit cards do not play well). Have not installed yet bc I'm waiting to dump the iphone for an S5. I have some ideas (reverse steelie + wireless charging).

As mentioned above, do not waste your money on cheap and/or universal mounts (steelie is universal :p).
Vent mounts are never strurdy enough else it directs your air flow, and sucktion mounts cannot withstand the excessive heat test (none that I've tried, they come loose).

Didn't see http://www.proclipusa.com/ mentioned. I just bought one of theirs for my Miata. Expensive but worth it and works sooo much better than the $20 universal vent mount I bought for the Protg5.

I made my own, like these:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Binder-Clip-Phone-Car-Mount/

http://lifehacker.com/5747897/how-to-build-a-car-mount-for-your-cellphone-from-office-supplies

Two main differences between these and mine:

1.) I didn't put any padding (they recommend paracord) around the metal clip because my cell phone case is rubber and already protects the phone.

2.) I affixed double stick velcro on the top of the A/C vent tab and the underside of the clip where it will touch that part. That way the clip/mount has a bit more stability and doesn't have to rely just on tension to stay clipped on.

I used the kind of rubber band that is used to tie back hair, because it's covered in fabric (nylon I think) and thereby stronger than just a plain rubber band. Mine's never broken but I keep an extra in the car just in case.

I've used my mount for maybe a year or so and it's never broken or fallen off. I like that it supports the phone from underneath. In my case it holds the phone sideways, so if you don't like that this might not work for you. For me it's desirable because the only reason for me to mount my phone is to use it as a GPS, and for that a landscape view is better.

I had to make the clip twice because the first one didn't come out quite as good as I would have liked, so two clips cost me maybe a couple bucks tops.

I think it's much better than a windshield-mounted or suction-based system.

As with all vent-based mounts, you have to remember to close the vent if you have the heat turned on, because it will overheat your phone and cause it to turn off.

I've attached two pics on another way I've mounted stuff: in my case an old GPS and my iPod.

I use the GPS sometimes because it's old-school and doesn't impact my phone's data plan.

What I did was to cut a small piece of wood down to size, color it black to match the car's interior (I just used a Sharpie) and inserted it into the slot beneath the gear shift with some double stick velcro to keep it steady. If you do that you can drill holes into the front of the wood and mount whatever you want into it. I bought some small pieces of craft metal from Lowes (long, thin metal tabs with holes every half inch or so - like you'd find in an old-school Erector Set toy) for a couple bucks and used them to make mounts for my gadgets. I covered those with the kind of black flexible tubing used to hide cables and whatnot. The clip that attaches to my iPod's belt clip was just a random piece of metal that I think came with some curtains or blinds or something like that.

Although from my pictures I can see that my car looks like it needs some cleaning, the mount itself it sturdy. Being an older model, the GPS unit is fairly heavy so I keep it from wobbling around with another small piece of double stick velcro on the back, attached to the car's center console.

The whole setup cost very little, is very versatile, easy to put together and take down if I had to, and didn't leave any permanent marks or holes in the car.

Attachments

• Dash Mount02.jpg
    Dash Mount02.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Dash Mount01.jpg
    Dash Mount01.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 138

Latest posts

Back