Phen's 2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5 GT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured I'd throw some sort of update in here.

Car is smoking off throttle at higher rpm, and after sitting for a long time. Looks like oil smoke and it goes away rather quickly. This is making me thing valve seals. I'm due for a timing belt change, so I'm thinking of pulling the head and having some work done to it. Looking into a 3-angle valve grind, new valve springs and seals, possibly cams. Not sure what's out there that are good for a forced induction setup. Unfortunately for that idea, there doesn't seem to be a lot of people messing with the cams. May have to shoot an email to FM and get their thoughts on that. If it's not necessary, then you had better believe I'm not doing it.

Time for a 2013 update. I'm really bad at keeping up with this thread.

As of now, I'm in Beijing until the 15th. When I get home, I'm taking the car out on the 16th and making a list of everything that I need to do to get it in tip top shape. Biggest thing on the list is a tune.

Tentative list:
Tune
Timing Belt and auxiliarys replacement
Front sway bar
Tires and wheels - sizes not yet determined.

Thanks to the help of Jess' dad, we got the locking lug nuts off over a month ago. Tires have been rotated and are ready for the season (for the most part). Needs an alignment tho.

I have a feeling that this year will be the year that everything gets sorted out and it becomes an all around "nice car" for once.

looking forward to seeing it with all the kinks worked out!

Same here!!

Once everything is sorted out, I need to ride shotgun sometime! The one time I did get to ride in it, there was no 2nd gear and it was still insane! haha!

Same here!!

Once everything is sorted out, I need to ride shotgun sometime! The one time I did get to ride in it, there was no 2nd gear and it was still insane! haha!

idk if you can ride shotgun, but you can probably ride like miss puerto rico hahahah

That is funny! Start practicing your wave Evan.

LOL. You guys are funny.

So one question on my mind is whether or not to use the EBC solenoid that I had bought for the car many moons ago. It's essentially an Ingersol Rand industrial 12V (or maybe 5V) solenoid that is controlled by the Hydra. I'm doing some research again (because I forgot what I learned 2 years ago when I first bought it) to see exactly how I need to program the ECU to handle it. If it's a straight target pressure, then it will be relatively simple. If it's a traditional PID controller, it'll take a little more time to get straightened out. I mean... I work as a controls engineer, so control system tuning and PID controllers are normal for me (on paper).

I do predict a few "sit around and drink beer while I look at a wrench and try to decide whether I want to use it or not" days in the future. If y'all are interested in stopping out, I'll keep you posted.

I do predict a few "sit around and drink beer while I look at a wrench and try to decide whether I want to use it or not" days in the future. If y'all are interested in stopping out, I'll keep you posted.

you know im down! haha

Took mine to the Motors of Mayhem carshow in WV with the Mazdaspeed Pittsburgh guys. Tons of fun and the car ran well. In fact, my back bumper wasn't covered in s***. Now I'm curious to know why it was so bad at the end of last year. Regardless, she provided smiles on the drive there and back for sure.

Yep. She'll be there. With any luck I can get the windshield replaced before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back