PG vs Cobb Turbo Inlet

drledford93

:
Mazdaspeed 3
Any differences, outside the obvious metal vs silicone materials? I tried to search every way but Sunday and couldn't find anything. I did notice the $$ diff and the fact that Ken can't keep his in stock (not his fault...).

Two things--are there any distinct differences between the two, or is one better than the other (outside of being prettier, etc)? Would you pay the extra ~$60 for the Cobb TI? Be honest! No b**chs either way, please.(wiggle)

Thanks!

Daniel

I had PG's inlet and I wasn't happy with the fit and finish. The turbo side of the inlet seemed to barely fit entirely in the coupler, so you had to wedge it in far and it'd kink the coupler slightly. That and, you better clean that inlet 100% to make sure it's free of dirt or debris. Nothing against Ken as he's been nothing but great to me - but it was a design of previous owner that was inherited and sold under PG's name, so it's not like Ken actually hand designed it himself.

If I do decide on a turbo inlet, it's going to be Cobb's for the sake of their R&D in proper fitment and that's it. The debate over materials and which is better for heat-rejection is debatable. Both will be a vast improvement over stock. And that's a guarantee.

Check my threads I've already made this thread. I will be going with the cobb for the reasons I don't want to wait for them to get more in stock. Also the silicon will stay cooler, but like stated previously, the structure is the most important.

Sorry for the duplicate thread, but I HATE this search function, as it hardly returns any accurate hits.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

Daniel

EDIT: After reading your previous thread, there isn't anything in there that says the PG inlet is something to worry about or is any worse than the Cobb...just curious...

Also, I searched on your EXACT thread title and it returned nothing, FTL.

Last edited:
I've had the PG in for several thousand now. While a little initially dismayed by some apparent QC issues re. slaggy welding at the recirc pipe, I quickly cleaned up anything I thought posed a threat with a hand file and all has been well. It's stayed where put, using stock attachment points, it delivered a noticeable smoothness boost and compliments my AEM CAI well.

...and agreed, search is next door to useless on this forum.

Yeah they're in stock. There's a hose that has a pair of blue and green clips on it that attach between the valvecover and the factory coupler boot. If you keep the factory boot, you need our turbo inlet pipe w/o valvecover breather - almost every configuration of other companies intakes has a built in factor for the breather - except ours because we include the turbo inlet pipe in our intake.

The factory setup does not connect the vc breather into the turbo inlet pipe, but ours does. If you wanted to DIY an intake and used a 45 degree elbow that didn't have a provision for a breather, you could use our version with a breather connection. That version also includes a length of silicone hose to connect between the valvecover and turbo inlet pipe.

Jason Griffith
Product Development Engineer
CorkSport Mazda Performance

I went with the Cobb because I have their SRI and wanted the whole intake to be completely silcone. Fit is great and looks as well.

I've got the whole corksport intake system and love it. Never a problem and a very easy install and good price. You may want to consider this too.

I just found that CS has the most inexpensive piece, so I may go with them. Good service from Jason et al.

Got my test pipe today, will have my BPV shortly and then my TIP--woohoo! Should make the car a bit more fun to drive! (I'm not expecting 1,000,000hp, but 10-15 plus driveability I would say is realistic...)

Daniel

The test pipe with stock exhaust will sound great. It will give your car a deeper sound and only be slightly louder.

My TP makes the car A LOT louder and feels like it makes more than 10hp. I would say closer to 15. Even my wife (waaaaay non gear head) notices that the car pulls soooo much harder in 2nd and 3rd...

Absolutely worth it. However, don't go with one that is sold on ebay. PM me for the name. Fitment is really, really bad.

Daniel

PS--I wouldn't waste the money on the CBE. Not worth $500 for 5hp (maybe).

I had the CS pipe first but it leaked and was loud. I replaced it with the SU pipe and it's slightly louder than stock.

Back