PG TIP+SRI vs. Cobb TIP+SRI

Evolved

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
Does anyone have any preference and why? The PG combo is $200 total, whereas the Cobb combo is $350 total. Is there any major difference? I know the PG TIP is metal, as opposed to tubing in the Cobb TIP....but outside of that, is there any reason I should pay the extra $150 to get Cobb? Thanks in advance!

As you know, I've got experience with both Cobb pieces. They are of the highest quality. The intake has an air straightener also. The only downfalls are price and I know at least a couple of users have not installed these pieces correctly and had the silicone tubing sitting on hot metal. This caused a burned/melted spot on the TIP.

I don't have any first-hand experience with the PG items. I know Ken gives a good bit of flexibility with the filter and some powdercoating options. I don't know if they have an air straightener or not. Price is definitely more attractive here.

You should ask yourself if you're interested in getting the Cobb AP. Furthermore, you should ask yourself if once you get an AP if you'll be sticking to the off-the-shelf maps or if you'll get a custom tune down the road. While intakes may be similarly shaped/designed, the flow characteristics can be dramatically different. There are many off-the-shelf maps for the Cobb items. You can run those same maps with the PG items I'm sure, but it wouldn't be optimal.

^^That's a good point. After riding in your car yesterday I am definitely more inclined to get the Cobb AP and would most likely run an off the shelf map.

it'd be interesting to see how an AP tuned car would run with our intake and inlet. i would bet the same, but i'd need a tester to be sure.

I got a donor car for you to test. Shoot me a PM if interested. I already have a Cobb SRI and a Speedy6 inlet, and I just picked up my AP.

speedie6 inlet is more or less the same as ours in practice, i'd be down for that. PM me when you're available we can do some logs!

ideally i would need someone with the AP as i do not have one here i can play with. and inlets will be back in stock we hope on friday. depends on the machine work.

Back