PEP Spicy Build

thepope540

:
2003.5 Yellow Speed - Sold, Spicy - Sold, #639 Black Mica
I've alluded to this is a few posts, but haven't really put anything together. I'm going to get to work on the car soon so I figured I go ahead and start a thread. Pics and lots of info to come. Here's what I have so far:

'03 Spicy shell - bought with no engine or trans
Custom plug and play Megasquirt 2 - yep, plug and play MSII. This is something I may be offering to customers in the near future.
Aerocharger variable vane turbo
Exedy stage 1 clutch
Lightened stock flywheel
Eibach springs with fresh tokico blues -> I already have these, but they may get traded out for some custom coilovers based on koni sport inserts
Fresh engine with K1 rods, wiseco pistons, and ARP throughout. I haven't assembled the engine yet, but everything is here.
AWR mounts
I have both msp and full width radiators, but I'm leaning toward selling both and going with a narrow Honda radiator and a giant custom sidemount.
Wideband and oil pressure gauging
7" tablet media center and MS datalogger & tuner
And much, much more

This is the to-build list:
Side exit exhaust
PEP Exhaust Manifold with one-off flanging - Started but not finished (I have to get customer orders done first)
PEP Composite Intake Manifold

My plan is to build the ultimate 250 hp msp. I could easily make more power than that, but I want to assemble the car and NEVER take it apart again. I enjoy tinkering and working on my cars when I want to, but I'm done with broken transmissions and diffs, destroyed blocks, and general poor performance. I'm hoping to assemble the car Mazda should have.

Last edited:
I like the sound of this, your HP goal is exactly what I have in mind for mine some day.. mid-to-high 200's so that it's fast enough for daily driving but still relatively reliable too.

Oh and kudos for rescuing a spicy, it sounds like it was headed for the junkyard if you hadn't come along.

sub. Sounds like a legit reliable build. Were will you be getting the sidemount?

sub. Sounds like a legit reliable build. Were will you be getting the sidemount?

I'll either make it myself from an ebay core, or if the pricing is reasonable I'll have it made by Bell.

Edit: Just poking around Ebay and I may have found exactly what I was looking for. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
I'll have take some measurements, but the dimensions listed are roughly what I had in mind.

what turbo do you plan on using?

I bought a used 53 mm aerocharger. It's a little on the small side as it tops out at around 250 hp. I got it really cheap so I'm going to give it a go.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see the pics.

Also a ms2 plug and play you say? Is ms easier to tune? Better/even with a haltech?

Kind of curious on the inter cooler choice, why not do a front mount? To be different?

I don't want all the piping of a front mount. Extra piping means more lag, more pressure drop, and most importantly slower response. I'm building a highly responsive and hopefully very reliable setup and a front mount doesn't really fit in that.

Can't wait to see the pics.

Also a ms2 plug and play you say? Is ms easier to tune? Better/even with a haltech?

MS is very easy to tune and if done right can tune itself with great results. I don't know that I would say that its easier to tune, but it is certainly much cheaper than a haltech.

Keeping an eye on this to see how the aerocharger works out for you. I read about them just now and the design is very intriguing. I wonder just how quickly you'll build boost. Good luck!

Here are a couple vids of vehicles with aerochargers keep an eye on the boost gauge (especially at around 1:55). Keep in mind that the 930 is known as one of the laggiest cars ever produced. Also realize that there is no wastegate, the only boost control is the vanes themselves. This means the turbo is always at peak efficiency.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T_I8oKWftpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love that this guy can make 5 psi with no load on just a little throttle blip :) Response FTW!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qwqwFjWQG74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Made a decision last night. I'm tired of looking at the car and spending $ never having driven the thing so I'm going to drop in the stock FS I have in the garage and deal with the forged motor later. I have the bottom end assembled and the head cleaned, but no time. I can put the other engine in and be up and running pretty quick and that has a lot of appeal to me. Also, I am going to run the half radiator with the large sidemount. I think it'll suit my needs best.

I just have a couple from the PO. Its not really worth taking pics of. I did go ahead and hang a front bumper just so it would look better in the driveway...

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

Back