PE01-14-302A-MV (Value Product) Oil Filter?

Yep. And this value line is primarily in US because some people like it cheaper but 'oem'. Probably the same reason why the Tokyo roki oil filter is now a dinosaur here and dealers are allowed whatever oil they can source for oil changes.

Some Mazda dealers are selling aftermarket parts of questionable quality under the name of Mazda Value. They charge OEM prices for these.
The reason I know this is I bought a cabin and engine air filter for self install from my Mazda dealer. I ended up getting this crud.
Just checked my invoice and noticed they also installed a Mazda Value oil filter with my oil change.

Needless to say, I am not at all happy. I will not return to the dealer [John Hine Mazda in San Diego] for any type of servicing.

For the prices they charge I want true OEM parts. If I wanted aftermarket parts I would have gone to jiffy lube.
was it an aftermarket filter or a Mazda value-line filter? there's a difference. while we may not like the value-line stuff on this forum, they are still OEM parts.

when I was buying oil filters from the parts counter at the dealership i work at, the guy asked why i wanted the more expensive ones since they all work the same

I think this is marketing to benefit the dealers. If they do the replacement work they can install and charge for the higher priced item, but parts department can sell the lower priced product for people who are cost sensitive or independent mechanic shops...
On the contrary, Mazda dealers will use cheaper Value Products “MV” maintenance parts almost all the time unless you ask for more expensive genuine maintenance parts and are willing to pay the price difference.

Exactly. When I used to go to a dealer before and say I want an oil filter only thing they ask is my engine and model. Then without hesitaton they bring me the value line :)
Then I give the non MV part no. and they usually say yeah but but its the same and MV is cheaper.
Same with other filters. So I learned to buy by part numbers and no questions asked

was it an aftermarket filter or a Mazda value-line filter? there's a difference. while we may not like the value-line stuff on this forum, they are still OEM parts.

when I was buying oil filters from the parts counter at the dealership i work at, the guy asked why i wanted the more expensive ones since they all work the same
I am going to buy one of each, slice them open and see just how equal they are.

BTW, I sent an email to Mazda HQ letting them know of this issue. If you cannot trust a Mazda dealer to install Genuine Mazda OEM parts, who can you trust?

I am going to buy one of each, slice them open and see just how equal they are.

BTW, I sent an email to Mazda HQ letting them know of this issue. If you cannot trust a Mazda dealer to install Genuine Mazda OEM parts, who can you trust?
Actually at least 3 different Mazda OEM oil filters had been cut open before at Bob is the Oil Guy:

Mazda PE01-14-302 Factory Filter CUT OPEN

Mazda 1WPE-14-302 Filter 5k mi - Mystery Bypass!

Mazda PE01-14-302A-MV used cut open 7,779 miles

Mazda Skyactiv PE01-14-302A-MV Cut Open

You’re welcome to cut open these OEM oil filters and give us your opinion. But based on the reports from BITOG we can tell MV oil filter is the worst among 3. I can tell the quality of the MV oil filter is not up to the standard of the other 2 because it comes with non-greased and different flat gasket and without paper box.

MV isn't aftermarket. Looking at the MV oil filter that was cut open, it even has a metal filter cap that arguably may be better than the glue only filter cap that the Thai filters use. And the MV air filter has to meet the specs and consent of Mazda, a dealer would never use aftermarket parts.

Why was NelsonLewis band, on page one of this thread? He was calling out Molester's incorrect assumption that a Mazda oil filter was only good for 3K miles, saying that the oil is darker in color after 3k miles. Molester was confusing oil color with actual particulates that the filter is designed to filter out. I suppose NelsonLews could have been banned on another thread, idk.
Update: He was banned over a year ago, maybe he said something bad in another thread.

Actually at least 3 different Mazda OEM oil filters had been cut open before at Bob is the Oil Guy:

Mazda PE01-14-302 Factory Filter CUT OPEN

Mazda 1WPE-14-302 Filter 5k mi - Mystery Bypass!

Mazda PE01-14-302A-MV used cut open 7,779 miles

Mazda Skyactiv PE01-14-302A-MV Cut Open

You’re welcome to cut open these OEM oil filters and give us your opinion. But based on the reports from BITOG we can tell MV oil filter is the worst among 3. I can tell the quality of the MV oil filter is not up to the standard of the other 2 because it comes with non-greased and different flat gasket and without paper box.
Thanks for the links. This makes me feel better.
But I still feel the dealer has an obligation to disclose they are installing a lower cost "value" part. And/or give you the option to get the factory OEM version.

As for the MV engine air filter, when you compare the two there are obvious differences in the construction. This morning I pulled out the MV one and installed the factory OEM version.

For those who feel they are true equivalents... good for you. Nothing wrong with that.
For me, I just want the same as was originally installed at the factory. That's all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. This makes me feel better.
But I still feel the dealer has an obligation to disclose they are installing a lower cost "value" part. And/or give you the option to get the factory OEM version.

As for the MV engine air filter, when you compare the two there are obvious differences in the construction. This morning I pulled out the MV one and installed the factory OEM version.

For those who feel they are true equivalents... good for you. Nothing wrong with that.
For me, I just want the same as was originally installed at the factory. That's all.
Yes, I believe there’s no free lunch, and “Value Products” must have been cut some corners somewhere to achieve the object of lower cost. I wouldn’t use “Value Products” just to save a couple of bucks if I want a high quality OEM parts.

Can you elaborate a bit on the difference between “Value Products” and real genuine parts on engine air filter? More filtering area (more folds)? Thicker paper element?

There is a substantial difference in the build quality. The frame on the factory OEM is made of a heavier rubberized material with a thicker rib down the middle. The MV is much lighter and is made of a hard plastic.
There is a difference in the filter media, which I will not go into right now. I ordered a new factory OEM filter so it will be easier to do an apples to apples comparison. Would not be fair to compare a new filter to a used one.

Attachments

• 20210321_151718.jpg
    20210321_151718.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 20210321_151816.jpg
    20210321_151816.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 20210321_151801.jpg
    20210321_151801.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 20210321_152059.jpg
    20210321_152059.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 20210321_152110.jpg
    20210321_152110.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 132
Your old filter looks very clean. Did you blow all the junk out of it? I see what you mean about the housing vs the MV.

MAZDA Value filters are approved by MAZDA and are good filters for the full 7,500/year oil change. Those who say they are 3d party and not good are misinformed. Ed

MAZDA Value filters are approved by MAZDA and are good filters for the full 7,500/year oil change. Those who say they are 3d party and not good are misinformed. Ed

So you're ok using the MV value line in your cars?

I've used about 5 of these in past years, have had 3 of them leak on me, won't use them again. I specifically ask for the Thailand made ones at the dealer, not a whole lot more money than the MV ones and the filter wrench fits better..

I've used about 5 of these in past years, have had 3 of them leak on me, won't use them again. I specifically ask for the Thailand made ones at the dealer, not a whole lot more money than the MV ones and the filter wrench fits better..
Can you elaborate this leak situation? My guess is the leak is from MV oil filter’s flat-surfaced gasket instead of o-ring type gasket used on Tokyo Roki Japanese filter and Denso Thai filter.

Most likely. I noticed the o-ring on the Thai filter helps self squeeze and put a very nice and tight seal when tightened.

Can you elaborate this leak situation? My guess is the leak is from MV oil filter’s flat-surfaced gasket instead of o-ring type gasket used on Tokyo Roki Japanese filter and Denso Thai filter.
Don't really know why, but after a few thousand miles there would always be a few drips on the bottom of the filter, only one that ever gave me any trouble. Might have something to do with the stamping. Also, the oil filter wrench wouldn't fit on properly, again, inconsistencies in the metal stamping.

Most likely. I noticed the o-ring on the Thai filter helps self squeeze and put a very nice and tight seal when tightened.
And Denso Thai oil filter is pre-greased on the o-ring type gasket (so as the Tokyo Roki Japanese filter), not on the MV flat-surfaced gasket.

Back