Pann Auto FMIC install?

jumaaneface

:
2003 mazdaspeed protege black mica
Anyone know or viewed an install guide? Obviously the pipe routing is straight forward but I'm having issues with mounting the core. Not exactly sure what I should be cut away from the bumper. Any insight would be appreciated.

Edit: installed very happy with the outcome thanks for all the help.
6XmFv.jpeg

2sWJa.jpeg

YuNpl.jpeg

Last edited:
Did u get the one for sale on eBay? It should be pretty straight forward. Can you post a pic of the core? Its been a while since I saw it, but I think the core is small enough to not need bumper modification.........Are you talking about the bumper cover? Post pics

Edit: I Spoke too soon. Post pics though.

Yeah, i got the Pann Auto Kit. I like the look and it works well, but it was a pain in the ass to install since u need to cut the bumper support beam. pm me if u have any questions.

Last edited:
IMG_20121221_014525.jpg
Did u get the one for sale on eBay? It should be pretty straight forward. Can you post a pic of the core? Its been a while since I saw it, but I think the core is small enough to not need bumper modification.........Are you talking about the bumper cover? Post pics

Edit: I Spoke too soon. Post pics though.

Yes I did. I don't really have time to fab up a custom one plus I like the way these pipes are routed and since they loo longer produce turbolife or hiboost, it was the best option being only 100~ more than a smic.

I saw a few posts about needing to cut the support beam but no one has gone into detail about it.

MazdaspeedProtegeIntercoolerKit004.jpg

Looks pretty straight forward. I'm searching, but there isn't much information on this fmic.

Yeah the lack of information is astounding. I've been searching of weeks. Even a pic of it mounted with the bumper cover off doesn't exist lol.

I've never even heard of Pann auto, I used to be on these forums all the time back in the day.
Looks like a custom setup, but def appears to need some cutting.

Yeah, I've also never heard of it. You're just gonna have to mock fit it and cut where necessary. There's not much to installing an FMIC.. you mount the core so it gets maximum exposure to the lower grille and run the pipes to/from the core.

Where did you buy it?

I would call them, they might have some left-over kits for cheap. Support would not be great, as the designer and application engineer is now with a different company.
I will say I was impressed with the pipes. Very nice bends, clean welds, well... the powdercoating is just awesome so that helps. The way it is mounted, you could even get away with a deeper core too.... it sits back further than the HiBoost. Then again you have to shift the power steering cooling lines back for it to fit.
I had to cut a little of my bumper support but only in the back underside where you cannot see it. I also had to trim where the outlet of the IC so there was more clearance for the pipe, but that could have probably been bent back ever-so-slightly and it would have worked.
Once I get the fittings more secure I will open it up. Right now my recirc hose is kinked, and the barbbed fitting I added to the hot pipe (for my boost controller is loose.

The pipe routing is somewhat similar to the Hi Boost kit, there are plenty of pics around of that from back in the day. The Pann Auto pipes are routed exactly like the stock pipes initially, and the hot pipe is routed in a similar fashion to the Hi Boost, behind the grill. You will have to cut the crash bar. Take the crash bar off, see how core needs so sit for the pipes to line up, and cut the crash bar accordingly.

Also, there are several pics of Pann Auto setup in this thread.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?76354-finally-pics-of-pannauto-FMIC/page1

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. I pmed fuadmsp (only currently active member that ever had one installed that I'm aware of) and got a decent pic without bumper on. Only had to cut small corner of crashbar. Everything mounted. Question though. 2 rusted bolts heads broke off at lower rad mount. With just the top will that be enough to support it? Or pull out and drill them out?

Decent hp increase. Current mods: vibrant dp and turboback exhaust with one high flow cat and resonator and fmic now.

Indeed it is. Figured it was worth the little extra since I'm not gonna run a bov and the extra cooling over a smic. This is probably the only daily driven delivery msp in existence lol

i could recommend going recirculated with this kit it worked well on my car/ some cheap bov recommendation stock ms3, dsm 1g, ngr type s this was the bov i ran vented with relocated maf and for some odd reason the car backfire a lot smelled like it ran a rich between shifts
dsm 1g recirculated mounted on a slightly modded ms3 flange no turkey problems sounded sick
9896144f.jpg

stock ms3 recirculated mounted ms3 flange no turkey problems
5e96cb5d.jpg

ngr type s mounted on a ms3 flange it an adapter plate for an ms3 to run greddy bovs and i used it as a flange when not using a greddy/ngr two hole have to filled its vent relocated maf relocated i used the larger spring inside the ngr there are two i removed the smaller
9bbcaa54.jpg

i think the dsm is the best choice its built well no crushing need

Last edited:
I've seen too many issues with vta and it looks annoying to relocate the maf with all of the bends.any real benefit other than the sick attention grabbing sound? I'll post some pics later had to hit up the hardware store for some locking nuts and a power drill. I have a greddy rs bov and hks bov I may install at some point. But if I do I'll grab one of the flange adapter couplers so I don't have to cut anything. How much do the ms3 diverter valves cost? Looks like it has a greddy style flange.

this is what i used take out the periods before and after the t
http://www.stree.t.unit.com/ATP_GReddy_Blow_Off_Valve_Adaptor_Flange_p/atp-ms6-003.htm
I've seen too many issues with vta and it looks annoying to relocate the maf with all of the bends.any real benefit other than the sick attention grabbing sound? I'll post some pics later had to hit up the hardware store for some locking nuts and a power drill. I have a greddy rs bov and hks bov I may install at some point. But if I do I'll grab one of the flange adapter couplers so I don't have to cut anything. How much do the ms3 diverter valves cost? Looks like it has a greddy style flange.

Well one real benefit of relocating the maf is that if your hot pipe comes loose or a coupler blows the car will still drive. If your maf isn't relocated then you will be stranded until the boost leak is fixed. No real benefit to VTA, but it sounds better imo.

Back