paintless dent removal

:
07 F150 HD
what do you guys know about paintless dent removal?

I just googled for someone in CT who does this and found dentct.com

He said it would cost 150 per panel (so like 150 for the driver's door) and that he needs to "get behind it" but that it could be done in 20 minutes.

First of all I thought these paintless dent removal places used a suction cup or an adhesive on the outside and then just pulled the dent out so I dont know why he needs to get behind it.

secondly I am wondering if I misunderstood how he is planning on doing this since taking the door apart and putting it back together and fixing the dents sounds like it would take more than 20 minutes.....

Can anyone shed some light on this and/or recommend a place that does this? How much does it usually cost? I just have a bunch of tiny dents in my doors from ppl slamming car doors into them.

sometimes it's done with a suction cup on the ouside.....sometimes they massage the dent out from the inside

I have had it done and love it. 3 days after buying my brand new ms3 someone decided to open there door into mine with some force and put in two nice dents. I almost through up. I called a pdr company with skepticism and set up an appointment. i told the guy that I was very skeptical and he chuckled and said jsut watch.

He pulled out some tools and went to work. to get behind the metal he had this little s shaped metal tool and he used that to massage the dent/crease out. He did a little tapping with a plastic hammer and or something after that. He repeated the process for about 30 minutes and low and behold, both dents/creases are gone. One of them was even on the body line and to this day, you have to really really look for it to notice it. Even when you do find it, you think maybe there is a low spot in the paint instead of any type of dent. The dent that was lower in the door is impossible to find.

Total cost for 2 dents. 1 was about 2 inches long the other about 4 = $190

well worth it IMO

I need to get it done to my miata.. There's a good one below my passenger tail.

so they can do it to doors and such but I have a dent above my drivers tail light right were the metal bends... could they get that out?

^Most likely not. Any location with a tight crease is almost impossible to get at for this process.

josh are you familiar with their process? (not the suction cup one but the "massaging") I am having trouble picturing how they can get at the back of the door without taking the door all apart and having someone take my door apart and risking rattles and such when it is back together might make me want to hold off on getting these fixed...

I used to work for "Dent Wizard"

It depends on where on the door the dent is. Sometimes they can get away with going between the glass and door, sometimes they need to take off the door panel. At an extreme, they drill a hole in the door itself, usually just above or below the latch then use a factory body plug to seal it.

i just cant picture how you can do anything if you are just shimmyd in between the glass and the door. Do they really just rub it and it pops out on their own? so its not like they are applying any force to it?

depending on the dent, it take very little force, and they dont use the glass for leverage. i guess youd have to see one working to understand, its quite interesting.

It sorta sounds like something you could try doing yourself... ? If some more light could be shed on the tools and their usage that is.

I too am interested :)

And as for dents on corners, body filler might need to be used. Body filler + a repainted panel is probably less noticeable than the dent itself.

I used to work for "Dent Wizard"

It depends on where on the door the dent is. Sometimes they can get away with going between the glass and door, sometimes they need to take off the door panel. At an extreme, they drill a hole in the door itself, usually just above or below the latch then use a factory body plug to seal it.

Sorry to thread jack, but where can i get a body plug from? I removed my badges on my 03 Protege and would love to get rid of the ugly holes.

Sorry to thread jack, but where can i get a body plug from? I removed my badges on my 03 Protege and would love to get rid of the ugly holes.

Get a body shop to fill the holes and "shave" your trunk. Once I'm not a broke ass college kid I plan on doing the same.

Not sure... ~$200 maybe? Depends who you know and how hard you look...

I may just go with CF trunk down the road. But I think in a few years I'm just gonna repaint. Fill all the holes, fix the little rust spots and get some new paint. Make it flossy.

Back