Painting OEM roof rack black.

icarlos

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
I have a silver 2014 CX-5 GT and was thinking painting the roof rack and rims black. Has anyone done it? Any photos?

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have just purchased a white GT, and love the idea of black rims and roof rack. Check out some of the videos on 'plasti-dipping' your rims, instead of painting, not permanent, easier, etc. You could easily do the roof rack too I'd think. I think the website www.dipyourcar.com has some good videos on it.

Thanks, I'll try that. I would love to see a photo of roof rack painted black on a silver CX-5. Please share if you come across one.

Don't do the black. Black is too generic. Match the rack to body color as best as you can. I think it looks cleaner. Now if you had a Shiny black cargo box, deep window tint and black wheels that might work well.

Need a color reference, look at any large parking lot. Silver SUV w/ black roof racks are very common.

If anyone has/can provide a good picture of the notch that the roof rails go into on a factory equipped roof rails cx-5 (us) I would appreciate it. I'm trying to see what is still covered with trim and what is exposed. Thanks.

Don't dip roof racks. As soon as you use them it'll create a tear which will only grow from there. It isn't paint which just chips its rubber that bonds more to itself than your rack.
Just saying, keep dipping to areas not being clamped onto or used for carrying loads

I don't use my roof rack for anything so it was one of the first things I dipped. Here is a bad photo from the view of my cubicle. Yes my parking is intentionally horrible. Don't need people parking next to that sexy beast. Can post better pictures if needed.

mazdacx5.jpg

I may be getting my roof and the first part of the spoiler assembly wrapped matte black. I got a quote for $350, and a sample to place on my roof so I can test it out (how it hold up in the car wash Texas sun etc). I am considering using some dip I have laying around to get an idea of how it will look since it's pretty much the same texture/color.

I don't use my roof rack for anything so it was one of the first things I dipped. Here is a bad photo from the view of my cubicle. Yes my parking is intentionally horrible. Don't need people parking next to that sexy beast. Can post better pictures if needed.

mazdacx5.jpg

Yea, I already planned to have my roof rails powder coated black before I install them. I see CX-5's at the stealership with silver roof rails and it look tacky as hell; not so much on the silver copies, but mine is not silver. Question though, do you have the strip of trim under your rails? or is it just the metal?

I Plasti-dipped my roof rails black and haven't touched them for at least a year since. I use mine all the time in the winter b/c I'm putting 4+ snowboards on top of the car. They look great still.

Check out page 22 of the "share your shots with us" thread, or try this link below,

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123812973-CX-5-Photos-Share-your-shots-with-us!/page22

I would definitely do it. It is durable and looks 10x better in my opinion.

Is there a black trim lining under your bars? or is the trim gone after you add roof rack?

There IS black trim under the bars. When installing them, you only cut out short sections of the trim, then reattach them so the rails can be screwed down. I'm 6 foot tall and don't ever see the black trim underneath. There isn't too big of a gap between the roof rails and the metal door frames / roof of the car.

Using Plasti-Dip to coat the roof rails is a great idea on a Liquid Silver CX-5. The Plasti-Dip looks just like the rest of the textured black plastic on the vehicle and of course Plasti-Dip will also come out textured to match is perfectly. To me, the silver roof rails doesn't really look that good on a Liquid Silver CX-5 because the color is close, but doesn't match. So it ends up looking like someone tried to paint the roof rails body color, but didn't quite get a good match.

So yeah, Plasti-Dip would be a great idea for your roof rails.

Back