Pablo's 2004 MSM Build

Damn, that happened fast.

What were you doing when it let go? Looks like your crested a minor rise, lost grip, and then it was all over.

Had the rain just started?

I was letting it track out, almost coasting (steady gas input). I believe there is a minor elevation change on that turn, and it was barely starting to rain. It happened a couple of times before (the rain), but it dried up quickly so I slowed down and figured it would dry up after a few laps.

Will was my instructor before that, and he did mention I need to fight the car less and let it track out more so maybe so maybe that played a part. I caught it a couple of seconds before I lost it, but did't see the other one coming.

What was very peculiar is that there was absolutely no tire noise, not even a squeak, until you were already sideways.

You were doing a fine job of keeping things under the limit throughout the lap, even right before you lost it. You were being smooth and even with all of the controls.

These things make me think that you just got unlucky and hit something slick on the track (oil or antifreeze maybe?) that started floating on the track as a result of the rain.

Loaded question: how sure are you that the tie-rod broke as a result of the crash instead of causing it? I understand that it may be impossible to tell for sure.

One experience I had on that same turn was during a parade lap. 2nd gear, right around 30 mph or so the back stepped out on very moderate throttle input. Cold tires and turn 1 didn't cooperate. I wonder if the cold ambient temps made that turn more unpredictable. So many factors to it. The good thing is that Pablo can still tell the story about it.

It was around 40 outside, that and the tiny bit of rain did't help as I was following the dry line. I wasn't going crazy fast, so I thought I'd be fine. As for the tie rod, I hit the wall with full lock to the right, so I'm assuming that's why it bent. It finally broke at Evan's house when he tried to straighten it out so we could unload the car. If the tie rod bent while I was taking the turn, that is really bad luck, don't know who the **** I pissed off to deserve that karma

Could have been sealant, no front grip, also seemed to get a bit out of shape (souded like the rumble stirips from the curbing) , don't know if it was the curbing separating the track from pit out. I have never been caught exiting turn 1, but going into the chicane a few years back, twice in fact.....

Last edited:
It was around 40 outside, that and the tiny bit of rain did't help as I was following the dry line. I wasn't going crazy fast, so I thought I'd be fine. As for the tie rod, I hit the wall with full lock to the right, so I'm assuming that's why it bent. It finally broke at Evan's house when he tried to straighten it out so we could unload the car. If the tie rod bent while I was taking the turn, that is really bad luck, don't know who the **** I pissed off to deserve that karma

Ah, yeah, that is good evidence that it didn't break mid-turn. That sort of failure would be from a corrosion crack or something similar.

I am stumped, aside from the 'slick race surface' theory.

bad deal buddy. Glad to hear you are ok. Looked like a hard hit. I hope everything will work out for you and your car.

What was very peculiar is that there was absolutely no tire noise, not even a squeak, until you were already sideways.

You were doing a fine job of keeping things under the limit throughout the lap, even right before you lost it. You were being smooth and even with all of the controls.

These things make me think that you just got unlucky and hit something slick on the track (oil or antifreeze maybe?) that started floating on the track as a result of the rain.

Loaded question: how sure are you that the tie-rod broke as a result of the crash instead of causing it? I understand that it may be impossible to tell for sure.

This was a result of the tracking being wet, absolutely no question about it. I was going to go out during this session and I left the pit lane right after this happened. It was raining hard enough to use the windshield wipers, which is enough to make Mid-Ohio super slick. I tip-toed around because I saw Pablo's car after leaving the pit lane and even running the rain line at a very reduced speed I was sliding around.

Bad news:

- they're totaling it
- they're not allowing me to but it back or negotiate some way to fix it

Good news:

- Farmers approved the claim
- some mods will be covered, they're still looking into that
- I'll be allowed to swap some parts with stock ones, need to look into that
- John is interested in some of the parts, so they'll go to a good home and I get a bit of money back

Since I'm sick of parking cars and want to get rid of the dependency from the part time, I'm getting rid of what I can for now and eventually I'll look into getting another fun ca

That's good news that they approved the claim!! That's sweet they might cover some of the mods and let you swap out parts with stock ones. I still have a lot of my stock parts in storage in the event something like this happens.

Bad news:

- they're totaling it

Good news:

- John is interested in some of the parts, so they'll go to a good home and I get a bit of money back

Since I'm sick of parking cars and want to get rid of the dependency from the part time, I'm getting rid of what I can for now and eventually I'll look into getting another fun ca

sucks! good luck man...

Bad news:

- they're totaling it

Good news:

I guess it is good and bad news for you. Now you will have more time for yourself and not wear yourself out working two jobs!

I guess it is good and bad news for you. Now you will have more time for yourself and not wear yourself out working two jobs!

Silver lining. Find it where you can.

Also, can they really refuse a buy-back? I mean, they can refuse to process the claim and cover the car if you want it back but if you own/have a lien against the car it's yours, right?

Silver lining. Find it where you can.

Also, can they really refuse a buy-back? I mean, they can refuse to process the claim and cover the car if you want it back but if you own/have a lien against the car it's yours, right?

Yeah I'm with you on this, makes no sense to me. Why would the insurance company want it anyways?

Honestly I'm so sick of the second job that I don't feel like fighting that to buy it back, I'm tired most of the time and have no time or resources to have a life. It was a lot of work and effort, but its just a car, I can get another one later. I've sacrificed a lot to have all this crap and it didn't end well, now I'll sacrifice the car and give the life thing a shot. Maybe I'll finally be able to take the trip to Europe and take a course at the Ascari academy.

Not saying you have to fix the car if you got it back, but you could get all your goodies off and sell them and part out the whole darn thing.

At least pull your frog arms off and any other suspension bits they won't know where on it.

But I totally understand how bummed you must be about the incident, waiting to hear from the insurance company, busting your ass at your second job to afford the MSM and parts, then wanting to just be done and wash your hands of the whole thing.

Like you said, you can always buy another car later on down the road.

-huggies

Last edited:
frog arms are coming off, I sent a list to John so we'll see what he wants. I don't feel like taking the downpipe off, so that might go with it. I'll need to buy a stock O2 sensor so I can take the Hydra off

Back