P5 Tune Up

cervy

:
02 P5
So my p5 is due for its first oil change which got me thinking about the tune up. since i do all of those things by myself and have on my older cars. i was wondering as to what is recommended to be done to the p5 for a tune up (i know i used change the distributor cap/rotor, spark plugs, clean or replace my air filter, check fluid level's when i had my camry)...this also kinda leads me to another question. The setup of the spark plugs is really wierd and different from my 91 camry i used to have it looks alot more complex, also does the timing or idle need to be adjusted at all as well? i know sometimes i used to have to do this on my old camry as well. Is there an online how to anywhere out there for just general p5 tune up procedures? thanks alot.

Last edited:
No How-Tos around here. No general consensus but I guess the general tune up would be oil change, air filter, fluids, brake wear check, tire pressure. I don't think the spark plugs need to be changed that often but just do a search on "changing plugs" or something to see about doing that.
Also check your manual at the end for the recommended service schedule, it will give you a good overview of when to check what.

Timing and idle don't have to be adjusted, unless there's something wrong with it. We have no distributor cap.

awesome...

just looks like alot of wires i need to disconnect though going to the plugs

really its only like 2 wires and and 2 connectors, you also have to unbolt the coils off. not hard at all once you get em off:D

Spark plugs don't need to be changed till 30k. If your just to your first oil change nothing needs to be done except for oil, fillter, and fluids.

ummmm.
Read the Owners Manual. It has all that shtuff listed.
If you need more in-depth info look for shop manual on eBay or go buy a Hayne's/Chilton Repair guide. Your local Library may have a copy of the Chilton's or Hayne's guide to check out.
-Dean

Last edited:
I change my sparkplugs every other oil change and clean my filter every oil change on my civic, probably will do the same with the mp5. I know its not needed but hell they are cheap and it helps with fuel consumption I guess. Maybe I'm just anal about my car. But I beleive if I baby it it will baby me.

cervy said:
awesome...

just looks like alot of wires i need to disconnect though going to the plugs
Which is the igntion... which is what you have instead of a distributor cap... ;)

loccusst said:
I change my sparkplugs every other oil change and clean my filter every oil change on my civic, probably will do the same with the mp5. I know its not needed but hell they are cheap and it helps with fuel consumption I guess. Maybe I'm just anal about my car. But I beleive if I baby it it will baby me.

New Sparkplugs every other oil change??? That's a bit TOO anal :)

I put in a new air freshener everytime.....well actually i havent had my first one yet...but i will change air fresheners :D love that squash smell hmmmmmm

Back