P5 - Transmission Noise - Differential? Gears?

J3alz

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Earlier this week I started hearing a noise (pissed) ( The noise is an intermittent metal on metal grinding that is speed dependent. ) coming from the front of my car. At first thought I was thinking it was wheel bearings, but I had just replaced them. So next I thought well it has to be an axle. I tore it apart the other night and the axles are both in good shape. So at this point I'm assuming its coming from the transmission. BTW, I can shift into all gears without trouble and I just recently (10K miles ago) replaced the clutch.

I'm now starting to look for a replacement differential and most likely gears. Anyone have any ideas on where to start? I found mazdaspeed differentials, but I'm not sure if I need to upgrade or not.

Also anyone know how to test if the differential is bad? I checked the fluid and its not in to bad of shape, and doesn't seem to have any metallic flakes.

Thanks,
Dave

How about your calipers? Have they been serviced recently? While the rears seem to sieze more frequently, it's worth a shot.

Jack the car up and, with it in neutral, spin the front wheels and see if you hear the scraping.

While you're at it, I would check the rears as well.

Last edited:
I replaced the front and rear brakes ~10-15K miles ago. I also had the front rotors off the other night when I did the axles and they looks great. I will also jack the car up and spin the wheels to see what happens.

I have the similar issue from my 2003 P5, the howling noise is from the front driver side. I replaced the spindle, bearing, left axles(CV). No noise if I jack up the front end, but once on the ground, the faster you drive the louder it gets. I am thinking the differential bearings...would this caused the howling noise.

I'm having a similar issue, if not the exact same one. Mechanic says its in the transmission region. Wheel Bearings and CVs are good, Calipers and hoses were just replaced as well. PLEASE PLEASE help. Would like to find out where this is coming from!!

Back