p5 to msp turbo conversion

racerx43269

:
2002 mazda protege 5
hey guys.. ive been reading all over hte forum and i think i need some wisdom from one of you turbo grand masters il list the parts i have obtained so far and the parts i think i need followed by my zillion questions

car:
2002 protege 5 n/a 72,000 miles
current mods ON car:
obx header ful 2.75 inch exhaust all the way back
lowered on some springs idk what kind.. they are yellow though.. and my car is low as all hell
STOCK p5 ecu
STOCK p5 radiator

mods NOT on the car that i am putting ON the car when i get home from iraq:
STOCK msp ecu
STOCK msp turbo manifold
STOCK intake manifod WITH vcts( for smog reasons)
STOCK fuel setup
STOCK J & S pipes
STOCK turbo from msp
STOCK msp radiator ( do i need this?? )
1 STOCK radiator fan the other is Flex-a-lite thin lil guy
SMIC ( i need some pipes for this maybe )
FMIC with ALL pipes and BOV flange

MIDIFIED IMF for turbo setup
OBX ( or similar turbo mani for upgrade

things i need or think i need:

water/alky injection setup?? im liking this idea...its only like 300 bucks... why not. lol
MAF sensor reloc kit
HALTECH e6x or e8 ( i dunno which one or what to get
1.8 coil packs ( more spark?)
ac condensor stuff ( was told this is needed for my p5 n/a to turbo setup not entirely sure.. but wiling to buy)
some sort of boost bypass valve forthe fule return so im mot liike over pressuring my engine or ac system
act clutch cant decide between 4 pck or 6
fidanza light fly wheel ( i realize there has been many a arguements about proformance.. but.. i have hadne befor.. and tha sucker worked well for me.)
GEAR set upgrade
LSD
440's the pinkies...
fuel rail
walbro fue pump
FPR
lightened pulley's
bigger spipe..if i dont go patato.. thn i think it is just a bigger jpipe and extension on top
wide band ( maybe part of the haltech controller for tunng?)
BIGGER brakes.. im gonna need those
forged internals
PNP on the head..
valves
valve springs
valve retainers
valve guides
cams.. eh.. ive been looking, cant really find them.. its on the list though
projector head light mod??
arp studs and bolts.. but im only doing that when i pnp the head... and i should just do all the internals at once at that point.. so im prolly gonna want to just get another head at that point too.. so i can have it ready to drop in
less down time on the car
OH a frame support, so i can mount my seat belts to it.. ive seen them around but i dunno where to get it though..
ok.. the list goes on from here.. but these are the things i plan on doin in the next year

that is all i can think of at the moment, the GOAL is to be fast semi stock, before i go like all out... i dont know how much this stuff is all gonna cost.. i am getting a body kit and carbon fiber hood, as well as fenders too.. but..like i said engine wise i wanna stay kinda stock on the boost side till i figure out the smog laws and if i can pass and all that crap... still iffy... but i wanna get it done.. i got like 7 or 8 months to just dream about it.. im here in iraq and well when i get home.. its gonna be a pain kinda.. and to make matters worse. ill be in grass valley.. so ll have to drive my happy self down to sacramento to the nearest dyno.. thank god im becomming a master mechanic, ill buy a dyno one day.. i swear i will. lol

im OPEN to advice and ideas... im still learning.. mazda setups are completely different them my 600 hp honda.. i know the basics n stuff but.. i just paid tohave my honda built didnt do it my self like i am on this one.. my final goal after going stock boost is to boost the piss out of my car and break 400 hp... dunno if it is possible.. but if i can im gonna go for 500 from there.. BUT.. i wanna have a back up motor built so i can atleast drive when ( not if but when ) i blow my motor up even though im going to go easy on it.. something is bound to fail.. but i want to start engineering parts for our cars so i can maybe better them?? i.e. a pnp wiring harness fr ecu setups, make good how-to's ours are great.. but i am going to make a start to finish how to.. for a p5 to msp turbo conversion

kk.. i gotta get my hair cut guys and the px is an hour ride away. stupid army crap. gotta take a helicopter to convoy to get a hair cut.. its dumb.. but i dont have hair clippers mine broke sooo i gotta buy new ones ( yeah yeah off topic sorry)

so what am i missing

Last edited:
thanks so the 550'2 are pinkies?? and the 440's are blue... hmm... idk... it is on my list of things to buy.. im trying to keep my engine build under 5 grand... right now im at...
msp turbo
radiator
msp ecu
smic
$800.00

extra FMIC setup
$200.00

clutch
$300

vcts removed intake mani
$90

so... ALMOST $1400 so far
i think im doin good.. im not sure.. im buying parts at the end of this month... still lookin for some deals on that good stuff.

I am confused. If you are putting a stock MSP motor in the car why are you not using the stock MSP intake manifold and exhaust manifold?

If you are running stock MSP turbo then why are you looking at injectors, wideband, fuel pump etc etc??

This has been done before and its a cool idea but your list above is huge money.

If you use the smic you're gonna have to move/replace the ac condenser. If you use a fmic set-up you don't have to worry about that.

sry to make u wander but 2.75" exhaust NA w/ just a header and no intake? how was/is that treating you? and your srpings are probably the ones from NOPI... i think i have the same springs and dropped the car 3"... until i get my tein dampers....

im thinking of doing the same setup... subbin!

i have a custom cold air intake for my car.. with exhaust and headers its alright.. i havent ever dyno'd it. as for the msp motor, p5\s come wth the same motor, howeverthe protege5 doesnt have the turbo, or a strong pvc valve or hoseclamps on all he vaccum lines, lsd.. ect ect. some of the things on my list are gonna take e a while, i want to get the haltech ecu, however im going to wait to install it. i need to pass california smog before i do anything t my car that istn really more then stock...

ok... ill add more to this i gotta get to work it is 5 30 am and i still have pt and a million things to do befor 7 am.. ugh...

same motor as the MSP huh? no wonder i feel like my power dies after 4k.... i need a turbo to keep the power going... duh.... it makes sense now...

i vote u get the FMIC instead of the SMIC.... but this is coming from someone who doesnt have emissions tests...

This is simple. For a MSP turbo kit to work you need:

MSP ECU
MSP Exhaust Manifold (stock or replacement)
MSP Downpipes (S and J pipes, stock or replacement)
MSP Turbo (stock or replacement - T2 flange)
IC setup (stay away from the stock setup - it will cause more work)
MSP compatable intake
Tapped oil pan or lower crank girdle
All oil/coolant feed and return lines

That's pretty much it. You have a good list but easily 2/3 of that isn't required. I won't say it isn't good (it'll be one hell of a build actually) but it isn't necessary for 6 psi. BTW, you can only use the MSP ECU if you have a manual transmission (that hasn't been mentioned yet). Everything else is the same from a P5 and a MSP.

This is simple. For a MSP turbo kit to work you need:

MSP ECU
MSP Exhaust Manifold (stock or replacement)
MSP Downpipes (S and J pipes, stock or replacement)
MSP Turbo (stock or replacement - T2 flange)
IC setup (stay away from the stock setup - it will cause more work)
MSP compatable intake
Tapped oil pan or lower crank girdle
All oil/coolant feed and return lines

That's pretty much it. You have a good list but easily 2/3 of that isn't required. I won't say it isn't good (it'll be one hell of a build actually) but it isn't necessary for 6 psi. BTW, you can only use the MSP ECU if you have a manual transmission (that hasn't been mentioned yet). Everything else is the same from a P5 and a MSP.

Simple and true. If you plan to turn up the boost later, go with waht you have listed at the top. If you just want a little extra and will be happy with that, go with what MagnumP5 posted. That's going to be my setup when I find the $$$

Back