p5 Sun Roof Installation

nKukoly333

:
2002 Mazda Protege5.
Hey guys,.. Sorry I am kinda new to the forum.

I was wondering if anyone here has a sunroof on their Protege5. Also, did you install it yourself or buy it with it previously installed?

I was wondering if there are many local shops that would install a sun roof on my '02 P5,,.. and maybe an estimate on how much it would cost.

Thank you.

-SDX.

I have a factory installed.

Do a local google search on shops in Omaha (fairly large city).

I know you may have your heart set on a sunroof, but I'd never buy an aftermarket sunroof, regardless of guarantee/warranty. Aftermarket, unless you spend gobs for a super well done install, will never rival a factory install.

(I know someone will come on saying how they're $42.38 sunroof has worked fine after 23 years, 7 months, 2 weeks, and 5 days, but the majority of aftermarket isn't that great).

one of the cali guys had an aftermarket sunroof put on his msp. not sure who it was or if he still has it, but from what i remember, he said it was water tight. not sure how much it cost, though.

Just get a sunroof that is a motorized ragtop! You can get them for trucks! I plan on picking one up for mine to replace my stock sunroof!

If you pick up this months HCI, there is a Protege5 that has one in it!

hookdupdelsol said:
Just get a sunroof that is a motorized ragtop! You can get them for trucks! I plan on picking one up for mine to replace my stock sunroof!

You're joking right? The loss of security is unacceptable IMO.

Doug

Don't the ragtops come with a metal plate security system under each panel? I've thought of this mod but haven't done to much research on it yet.

dsr70 said:
You're joking right? The loss of security is unacceptable IMO.

Doug

Its not any harder to bust your window or pop a lock, than it is to cut a rag top. Besides it would be easier to break a window and open the door than climb in your sunroof!

What I'm going to do is kind of an OEM aftermarket thing. OEM's are the best, and cleanest looking. So i have a sunroof out of a '97 accord ex I'm going to put in mine. I cut the sunroof out about 1 1/2" from the edge, and I'm just going to cut the roof to match the hole, weld it in, fill sand, paint and Voila'! an OEM sunroof, that is way bigger than the stock ones that came in our cars. The only thing I'm going to use is the control switches from the protege.

The stock headliner will be trimmed about 2" smaller than the opening and then pulled up and clipped in with the stock trim piece from the accord. It will looks as stock as stock can be.

trbomp5 said:
What I'm going to do is kind of an OEM aftermarket thing. OEM's are the best, and cleanest looking. So i have a sunroof out of a '97 accord ex I'm going to put in mine. I cut the sunroof out about 1 1/2" from the edge, and I'm just going to cut the roof to match the hole, weld it in, fill sand, paint and Voila'! an OEM sunroof, that is way bigger than the stock ones that came in our cars. The only thing I'm going to use is the control switches from the protege.

The stock headliner will be trimmed about 2" smaller than the opening and then pulled up and clipped in with the stock trim piece from the accord. It will looks as stock as stock can be.

That should actually look pretty sweet. I'm jealous! The Accord sun roofs are larger and they open up top instead of tucking into the car and using up headroom. Good luck with the install.

Chrsi

zmzmzm said:
That should actually look pretty sweet. I'm jealous! The Accord sun roofs are larger and they open up top instead of tucking into the car and using up headroom. Good luck with the install.

Chrsi

I did the same thing with my 86 323. I put the power roof out of a buick riveria in it. It was HUGE in that car. Was so cool sitting in it felt like you were in a convertable!

SenorCorwin said:
your look at about a grand...

for what? a good aftermarket sunroof, or what i did? My total was basically free except for the paint.

For this accord sunroof, i got it out of a totalled one my brother bought for some parts he needed for his accord. Welding is free, body work free, will just have to pay for painting again. I'm waiting to do this untill i find a scoop that I'm going to weld in the hood too, and have them painted the same time. The scoop i want is off of a rav-4, or a celica all-trac

SenorCorwin said:
good aftermarket... something tells me he doesnt have the skills so do what you did.

You are correct then, a good aftermarket installed would be about $1000

Back