P5 Sport Shift Issue?

ZoomZoom03

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
so i researched this issue first but i couldtn find the exact same problem that i am having with my 03 P5 which has about 60,000 on it. First off i use my Sport shift just about everyday which i know everyone is gonna yell at me for (ughdance)
but anyway, while driving my car upshifts perfectly fine but when i go to downshift from time to time it fails to respond...it as if the shifter is separated from the tranny/engine...spooky. usually after a couple of tries it fixes itself. just wondering if anyone has had this issue.thanx in advance. just curious how often tranny should be serviced as well.

haha yea I have the same problem but the other way around. I think the lever is just worn out from use and doesn't read the sensor at first. Everything is electical no mechanical. You tranny is fine. To fix it you need a new shifter.

Black_Protege_5 said:
haha yea I have the same problem but the other way around. I think the lever is just worn out from use and doesn't read the sensor at first. Everything is electical no mechanical. You tranny is fine. To fix it you need a new shifter.

did u fix yours?? or if not did u research the cost to fix it?? thanx for your help

Black_Protege_5 said:
I went to the dealer and they replaced the shifter. Been working perfect since. Put the piece is not cheap.

sorry to be a pain but to u remember roughly how much it cost and for how long they had the car...its my only car so to lose it for more than a day would be rough, plus id like to be prepared for the cost as much as possible, thanx again

They had it for about 3 days due to ordering the part. They gave me a rental so I didn't have to worry about having no car. And since it was under warranty there was no cost. But knowing the dealer that would probably cost around $500 maybe more.

if you shift it and the gear blinks and doesnt go down its working your just at too high of rpms to go down a gear. 2cents

i wish i knew the exact part number, i would shop around to find it or order it from the dealer and have my local shop do the work, since im sure at 60k my warranty is long gone and i know labor alone is a killer at a dealership.

its actaully fairly easy to replace the shifter. just take out the center console (4 screws), unhook a harness or 2 and 2 cables, unbolt 4 bolts. I think thats it.

I was quoted $475 when I called just to see how much. But then I got a different price of $515 from another dealer. I guess you just have to call.

Back