P5 poly motor mounts (driver/passenger)...Best bang for the buck?

MP5x2k3

:
2003 Mazda Protege5 base
Hey guys, I'm needing to replace my passenger side mount ASAP and I'm not sure which route to go. I know I want to upgrade to poly for certain, and I'd love to have AWR mounts, seeing as everyone here swears they are the best, but my check wallet light is on right now and I can't squeeze out $350 for 2 mounts shipped...My last ditch effort option is to pick up new rubber mounts and do a cheap window weld fill on them, but I'd rather go with a solid poly mount before I do that lol

I've read a handful of threads around the forum, and it looks like my only other option is either SpeedUnit or SLS Performance. I'm a bit on the fence about both of them though, and which one would be the best option, or if I should just hold out and go with AWR for all 4. The car is a daily driver and spends a lot of time on the highway in traffic. Right now with the blown mount, I'm having issues spinning my right wheel on dry pavement with 65% tread tires...

I understand poly is stiffer and transmits more vibration, that isn't a concern, since I intend to poly the rest of the suspension and lower the car in the future also.

So from what I can tell, the SU mounts are made from billet aluminum and come factory with 68 duro poly (which past experience is close to factory rubber in feel and stiffness). The SLS mount looks to be a much sturdier steel mount and seems like it would hold up to a bit more abuse (passenger side). I found the latter on ebay for $140 with free shipping, and the SU mounts come in a kit (L/R) for $289. I like the fact that the SU mounts are lighter than stock and shave a bit of weight off the car, but that passenger mount design looks a bit weak...

Any suggestions?

I went for an AWR passenger mount and absolutely hated it. The vibrations over stock were unbearable for daily use. Others here will probably tell you otherwise, but that was my experience. I went back to OEM and never looked back. Given that you say you drive primarily on the highway and in the city, the detriments of a poly mount are likely to outweigh the slight benefits.

As for weight savings, don't let that influence your decision in the slightest. You'd feel just as much weight savings as if you'd taken a hefty crap before going for a drive.

You'd also save quite a bit of money, which given a "light wallet" is probably more of a concern than whether you're going to eliminate a minuscule amount of drivetrain slop while sitting in traffic.

Your mileage may vary (2cents)

PS. AWR customer "service" is garbage, too. They didn't reply to any of my messages regarding concerns with the mount, nor did they post my critical but fair 3-star review (note how the only reviews on the site are 5-star, and even some of them complain of "rattles everywhere"...)

Last edited:
Since you only had the passenger side mount, I bet the motor was twisting a little bit because of the flex in the other three. I wouldn't recommend getting just one of the sides.

I also would not recommend getting all four for a street car. Way too much money. I have just the awr front and couldn't be happier. Your wheel hop would be much better managed by some poly control arm bushings and it would be much cheaper also.

Since you only had the passenger side mount, I bet the motor was twisting a little bit because of the flex in the other three. I wouldn't recommend getting just one of the sides.

I also would not recommend getting all four for a street car. Way too much money. I have just the awr front and couldn't be happier. Your wheel hop would be much better managed by some poly control arm bushings and it would be much cheaper also.

Eventually I plan to weekend autoX/hillclimb race this car. I'm tied in with the guys at Susquehanna Motorsports (rallylights.com) and learned a lot from them and found a passion for wanting to race. I love how this car handles, even in stock form for what it is and I know with the poly bushings all around it'll make it even better in the corners :) Partly why I want to start with motor mounts (that and I don't want to be blowing out my LSD, too cheap to repair it haha). Planning from there to do springs and struts all around (1"-1.5" drop max) and put my 17" wheels on, then work into poly suspension parts (trailing arms, sway bar, control arms, etc).

I have a 70 duro AWR front mount coming (hopefully) that I sent the cash out for last week to Protegedude25 that I'm going to put on first thing once it gets here...but I still need to get that passenger side fixed ASAP before winter comes...western PA snow is a killer when it comes off of Lake Erie, and I'm going to be driving 4 hours/200 miles a day for the entire season. Biggest reason I want the poly bushings though is the increased durability and the ability to withstand more than 10k miles in the car without needing replaced like rubber ones lol. Planning to do 88 duro for side mounts, and if I go that route it looks like I may be limited to AWR...

I'm not so concerned with the vibes from poly...Honestly, I have a feeling it won't be any worse than the 90 duro fiero factory dogbone I had on my 2.5l iron duke Fiero...it was more noise than vibration, and once it broke in it wasnt bad at all (quieted down and what extra vibration I felt in the auto shifter/pedal was tolerable).

I did the poly fill on my front mm with PL S40 and it's holding up great with almost no vibration, and it feels way better. It was $7 for the tube and I have enough left for at least 2 other mounts. I just used the stock mount that was starting to tear and let it sit for a few days. Bang for buck, it's hard to beat. Just my 2€

Put the front AWR mount in today that I picked up from a forum member, and wow what a difference! Definitely more vibration than stock lol,m but the shifting is so much better its worth the extra noise/vibes. Thats on a 70 duro mount...

Need to raise my idle up a bit, the vibes smooth out at 1k rpm or so... But no more grinding/synchros not meshing up when I upshift from 2-1 and no more bucking when I'm easing off the clutch in 1 and 2 at a rolling start...

Now for the driver and passenger mounts in 88 duro...may actually swap them out for 70 if the vibes I get from just the front mount are and indication of how much of a difference in cabin noise with poly all around...

Inserts are a compromise between vibey solid mounts, filling mounts yourself and weak oems not lasting. Been happy with the inserts on my car

Back