P5 Or Golf???

I love how bov's sound, I guess a sri or cai sucking will have to suffice till I get a real job heh. Its funny how you guys smile when you walk up to your cars, I do the same.

If you are thinking about leasing the new car, then reliabilty is probably less of a concern. If you are going to own, ya VW quality is crap. I personally have a vendetta against most of European and American cars in terms of interior design and quality. The memory of sitting inside a Cavalier still makes me shudder.

What about an MP3 ? cant seem to find any that are selling except on this forums site. are they good cars and what not and are they similar to the MP5? im a newb to this so im sorry for the all the questions but yeah. thanks tho.

Think of an mp3 as a special edition protege. Has the same front end as the p5, Racing Beat suspension, exhaust, a better tuned ECU, different wheels, different headunit and speakers. I think it has a sub, too. Seats are also styled differently.

An mp3 with low mileage and good deal = sex.

Any 2 door Golf (GTI) has virtually no room in the back seat. P5 can seat 4 comfortable, but that's not true for the VW. I like the GTI and VW's have really solid interiors, which matters a lot to me. If you buy a VW, though, be prepared to make frequent visits to the dealer.

jonlong said:
Any 2 door Golf (GTI) has virtually no room in the back seat. P5 can seat 4 comfortable, but that's not true for the VW.

not true.....my friend just picked up a new GTI and i was in the back seat to and from boston saturday night. seemed to have equal room as the back seat of the P5. i sat behind the driver and she is 5.7 with pleanty of extra room. there was still enough room behind the driver seat and the seat was all the way back.......
-R

I have owned both...currently driving a 03.5 pr5.....Golf GTI had a slightly more ritzy interior....and wasnt quite as harsh on the road....

But the pr5 is much better built, and is 10x more reliable...like others have said, volkswagons mean spending tons of time fixing/or taking to dealer...even on new ones....the electrical systems are a nightmare.....engines are good and relable, as are the trany's, but everything else sucks...
As far as performance, the 1.8t will smoke a pr5...if its running(naughty)

Pr5 is much more comfortable and the interior space seems much better to me, much better....only real gripe I have is the door pillar creates a hell of a blindspot on the drivers side....its very hard to see right next to/slightly behind you on the drivers side....but then again if I wasnt zoomin around because the car is so much fun to drive, then it wouldnt be a big deal....

The pr5 is about the most fun you can have while still being reliable and economical....my last car, a Suby Legacy GT was no where near as much fun to drive...

Last edited:
I have owned a few VW's in the past and I like them a lot. The thing that sucks is when it comes time to do repairs. It can get expensive to maintain once it gets older. I vote protege5!

I'm not saying anything new here, but I'll add my opinion.

I was facing the same decision a few months ago. P5, 3, Golf, and SVT Focus were mine of interest.

The big killers with VW are the reliability and parts cost. Especially in the last several years, vdubs have just gone downhill. German labor is so expensive, and VW so desperate to cut costs, that all stops have been taken. Production in Mexico is just one example. But so many areas of their cars are just flat out unreliable now.

The SVT Focus is still the best handling, best driving factory FWD sport compact I've ever had the privilege of driving. But they are a little harder to find and cost a bit too much used for me. Nothing show stopping and I would have been very happy with one.

Mazda reliability is superb IMO. I have a '90 Miata btw. The 3 is actually a very nice car (but styling is not as good as the P5 IMO), but I just didn't want to pay new prices ultimately. Plus the P5 is such a driver's car. Power is not everything. The P5 is so much like a Miata. It feels quick in every way, even if it's not quick off the line. But when you look forward to any reason to drive and come away smiling, then 0-60 times are meaningless.

Doug

Overall i think im going go stick with a Mazda( for Cost Reasons) but now i want a MP3 because it seems jsut as good and its hella nice looking and also i know it wont cost over 13k so yea. thanks for all of your opinions. so does the Mp3 run just as good or better than the P5?

Back