P5 Manual won't stay in 5th

agianni

Just yesterday, my 2002 Protege5 (5 speed, manual) started slipping out of fifth. Actually, it has occasionally happened in the past, but starting yesterday it just won't stay in fifth. All other gears are fine, so I can just drive it in 4th until I do something about this. I'm going to take it in to be looked at shortly, but I'm wondering if anyone can suggest what I'm in for. Time for a clutch job? Or something better or worse?

if it was clutch wouldnt it be hard to engage all gears?

might be synchro problem.

check under the shift boot as well, i had this problem too but it was just an small object in the way..

if it was clutch wouldnt it be hard to engage all gears?

might be synchro problem.

check under the shift boot as well, i had this problem too but it was just an small object in the way..

dunno. i had to replace my 3rd gear and it never popped out when it was about to go.

Not staying in gear is usually a shifter fork or linkage problem. It could also be a synchro as suggested. It's not caused by a worn clutch.

Clifton

+1
Yeah one thing you might examine is the ball detents. Don't start the car. Clutch in, Shift into each gear and feel for the slight "lock in" near the limit of travel for each gear, as the spring-loaded ball hits its groove. See if fifth feels about the same as the others, or if it just never clicks in.

Initially I thought it didn't feel like it was popping in, but I just went out and checked and it feels about the same as the other gears with the clutch in. It's at the point now where it just won't go into 5th at all. If I let out on the clutch it grinds as if I haven't pushed it all the way into gear.

All the other gears are fine.

Last edited:
Mazda Tech here, Saw this a lot more with 3rd gear. 2 most common causes: 1)Broken Engine mount (the one between the block and the front bumper. 2)Hub/synchro assembly is damaged. This was caused by a poor choice in metals used to build them.
Fix: it'sgonna be about 10-13 hours in labor alone. Cost of parts, well I didn't deal with prices much, so you'll have to research that. If the repair shop is good, they will rebuild 5th gear assembly (new hub and synchros, maybe the gear too if it's damaged. Usually they don't get damaged.) Also, you may want them to rebuild 3rd gear while they are in there as a precautionary measure. Make certain they inspect all the engine and transmission mounts. The gear repair is useless if the mounts remain broken, becasue it will just cause the gears to wear out again, very fast too. The new gears that superceed the originals are better quality. Cork sport and Protege Garage sell the updated parts if you want to compare prices. GOOD LUCK!!

can't 5th be replaced without pulling everything out....i thought i read where someone did that since it is on the outside of the trans??

If you had been clashing 5th for a long time due to a bad synchro I'd say the clutch hub & sleeve dogs were stripped. But sounds more like a bent or half broken shift fork for 5th. Might be the linkage, but if 1st and 3rd are OK it's less likely. You might watch it going into the tranny while someone else moves through the gears while shut off. Obviously if it moves OK there, you're gonna have to have it torn down.

Yes 5th can be serviced w/o pulling the trany, but isn't it worth the peak into everything at one time? Why put a bandaid on somthing that might need stiches?

I had the same problem. It ended up being a bent fork. I paid $300 for repairs.

How do I check the transmission oil on the manual? I know where the brake/clutch fluid access is, but where do I access the transmission oil?

So I had my mechanic look at it today and it looks like I need a new transmission. The problem is that I can't afford to replace it. Basically I have two options: I can borrow the money to fix it and then sell it with a rebuilt transmission to recoup the expenses and cash out, or I find someone to buy it as is.

I'm going to post it as the later here to see if anyone is interested. I'm in Buffalo, NY. PM me an offer if you're interested.

Just to put some resolution on this, I took it to a transmission shop that my father-in-law recommended and they said it was definitely the transmission. I had them put in a used one because I'm selling it anyway. They found me a used tranny with only 33,000 miles on it for $500 and they dropped it in for me for $360. He said my clutch was less than half worn (not surprising, as I have done a lot of highway driving) so we left it alone. My mechanic quoted me $2500 to put in a rebuilt transmission and replace the clutch.

Back