P5 Intermittent Wiper control

Op4guy

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
The wiper control on my P5 has just Off, Low, High, and 1 position Intermittent. Is there a plug-n-play wiper set up that has the variable Int option? I know I have done this for a Jeep using Neon controls and it has worked great.

I have one in my Protege5 out of a Mazda MPV works great.

IMG-20110518-00078.jpg

Oh thats totally boss. Just added that to my mazda parts buy list along with the tribute washer fluid sprayers.

HATE the p5 wiper switch too!!!

There's a pull-a-part junkyard not too far from me that has 2 MPV's, I'll definitely have to hit them up!

It's just a simple plug and play then, huh? Bolts right to the p5 location? Plugs into the p5 plug?

Josue-If it is anything like a Jeep it is just hold in place with a couple screws then plugged in: About a 15 minute swap.

Yea, they're easy to put in, I just didn't know how much of a "direct" swap it was. Or, if there were any modifications that needed to be made...

Direct swap and will take 10-15 minutes to do. I bought mine off ebay as well for around $45 shipped. Trying to remember my model years but IIRC you can use the switch from a 2004-2006 Tribute....that is what I have. Do a quick search though to confirm the MY....at some point in time they changed and are not compatible.

i saw a how to that said it is a direct swap, no modifications at all. but you need to take steering wheel and air bag out or something ridiculously tedious and lengthy like that.

i saw a how to that said it is a direct swap, no modifications at all. but you need to take steering wheel and air bag out or something ridiculously tedious and lengthy like that.
3 screws under steering wheel, split the 2 plastic covers apart. remove 2 screws and unplug the old wiper switch, reinstall new one. Put the plastics back on, than the 3 screws under the steering wheel. 2 gold screws go towards the front of the column, the black screw goes towards the back. 10-15minutes worth of work if you take your time

Last edited:
Corksport sells european 626 wiper stalks that had int. Mazda definitely should have just included real int. wipers from the factory.

what years was it off of again? i may do some junk yard hunting....

i believe 99+ have the wiper stock you are looking for

...IIRC you can use the switch from a 2004-2006 Tribute....that is what I have. Do a quick search though to confirm the MY....at some point in time they changed and are not compatible.

:)

I believe only '04 Tributes are compatible though. I checked OEM prices on both MPV and Tribute switches, and only the 04 Tribute had the same part number as the MPV years. 05-06 Tributes had a different part number.

you can also get them from the escape. I got mine for $20 shipped on ebay and it was out of an 03-05 escape i believe

thanks guys. i just checked rock auto for the 03-05 escape arm.....they only sell the whole piece that goes around the steering column....and it was $75 :(

Back