P5 in Snow?

PatrickP5

:
03.5 Midnight Blue P5, 04 WR Blue Pearl WRX Wagon
Hey all you P5'ers living in places where winter is actually winter:

How does the P5 handle in the snow? Any problems? How does it compare to other cars you've driven in the snow?

Thanks,
Patrick

i rally it through the snow lol, fun as s***, just dun go off the road, and make sure ur tires have tread, lol, and dont u E-brakes in parking lotz people freak out and think u lost control, hahahahaha

Heh. Okay - aside from crazy fun s***, I'm more concerned right now with the boring safety stuff like keeping it under control (and on the road) and not sliding around too much on the snow/ice under winter conditions.

Patrick

hey my p5 sucks on dry pavement, (with the bad dunlops that is)

i say we all petition against dunlop for using old tennis balls as our tires

DOWN WITH DUNLOP!!!

I drove mine around non-stop in the light snow we had in NC last year. It did really good and we mostly got ice.

Chicago winters suck to drive in no matter what tires you have, all in all last winter was descent, fairly easy to control car. This year not so sure though, tires are starting to wear a little thin.

yeah...crappy thing is that Tire Rack offers 15 inch steelies with snow tires, but they're $600+. Snow tires and steelies for my Focus were only $400.

Hey,

I'm from Quebec and here, winter IS really winter. I've had my p5 for 1 year and I should say my car never really lost control.

And it's actually quite fun when drifting through corners at 50-60 km/h with the E-brake! :)

elias1974 said:
hey my p5 sucks on dry pavement, (with the bad dunlops that is)

i say we all petition against dunlop for using old tennis balls as our tires

DOWN WITH DUNLOP!!!

:confused:

our dunlops are very nice for stock tires.

Just watch out for deep snow and places where plows build a ridge or you will look funny diging snow out for under your P5

on another note Wheelmax has some unbelivable deals on rim/tire combos $499.00 set
They are paired up with decent tires (mainly 2 season tires, but they sure beat steelies)

roelgm.gif

roel.gif

roelwht.gif

I did fine on the dunlops last winter but now they are worn down pretty far they slip on wet roads easily. I got 14 inch steel wheels from the dealer (the stock ones from the 1998 626 about $40 each) and nice snows for $48 each. came to just over $300 all together. Best deal I could find.

I use my stock wheels with Blizaks and I still slide around a lot.

I hate front wheel drive cars in the winter. It makes me feel as if I have no control. Thats why I use my e-brake around snowy/icey corners.:D

Anyway, I am not at all impressed with the P5 in the snow.

if u dislike front wheel drive in the snow, try rearwheel drive, my friend and his 318 get nowhere in the lightest snow except in circles, pulling displays more control than pushing in low traction conditions.

yeah FWD is better in the snow by FAR

thats one of the main reasons it became popular!

I personally like rear wheel drive in poor conditions. I have driven RWD cars in the winter, like my parents 1992 Volvo wagon when I was first learning how to drive.

The thing about front wheel drive is when you start to slide you have no control of where you go.

I've only driven rear wheel car (still has one) for past 8 years up until I got the protege5 last Autumn. I didn't get the anti-lock brake but p5 handles pretty good as long as you don't punch off the line in the snow/wet.

My P5 does great in snow with my snow tires mounted on 14 inch steel rims. I got a package from discounttire.com for $425, with everything from shipping to insurance on tires. They did a super job with all the snow we got last winter. The dunlops suck in the snow......i think they are great tires for driving on dry roads. THey also suck in the rain after about 50% wear.

-R

Back