P5 Catalytic converter replacement in NYS

CEL came on after some issues w/ ignition packs, replaced those, but the CEL came back b/c the Cat went after the ignition problems. Garage is now quoting me $1,300 to replace the cat (w/ a CARB certified cat, since new emission law went in to effect in NY this year. NYS now has the same emission standards as CA). I've looked @ compatible and NYS legal CARB cats online for 300-350 (Walker). Where the hell can the extra 800+ plus be coming from here..? I feel like I'm getting taken, and should bring the car to another shop, or order the cat and do the work myself.

Anyone have any advice on this..? it's an 02 P5 w/ 160k miles on it, I'm not sure I want to dump that amount of $ in to it.

Thanks,

-tat

The quote is bulls*** greed. I run a 4-2-1 header and custom system minus front garbage can. I burned out the second and only cat (drove three days with a failing coil pack), bought a new one and had it installed for less than $225 out the door. Not saying my cat passes NY spec, but Colorado is pretty tough on emissions and my setup--one small cat--passes with flying colors.

I think you should just do the non-fouler trick, save yourself $1,280 and be done with it,... (It'll cost ya $20 for the non-foulers and a half inch drill bit, and about an hour to drill em out and stick em in,... you are talking about code P0421 right,... the "below threshold" one ???)

Even if you want do it right cause you don't wanna pollute,... that front garbage can only reduces pollution for about 2 minutes when you first start your car,.. then your secondary cat heats up and takes over.

I burned out the second and only cat (drove three days with a failing coil pack),...

Good to know,... I didn't think you could burn out the secondary cat that way,...

I run a 4-2-1 header and custom system minus front garbage can.

You did the non-fouler trick right ???

Not saying my cat passes NY spec, but Colorado is pretty tough on emissions and my setup--one small cat--passes with flying colors.

Unless they do a visual inspection and find your non-fouler (or missing pre-cat) then you will pass.

Even that's BS,... if your car is not polluting then it's not polluting their test equipment will prove it. Why the hell do we have to do it the way Mazda first did it to be legal ??? (I'm sure the cigarette I smoke while the car warms up pollutes the air more than a fried or missing pre-cat.)

When a coil pack fails, you're dumping unturned fuel into the exhaust system. It'll take down that second cat quick (my pre was already gone when I installed the header. Tried non-fouler, didn't work for me. Colorado,emission testing is tough, but all they look for is the cat in in the system (in my case, the position of the second cat, as precast is gone. What they want to see are the numbers. Mine passes with a flying colors with a mini-cat).

Tried non-fouler, didn't work for me.

Did you try both tricks,... there's a drilled one and an electronic one.

in my case, the position of the second cat, as precast is gone. What they want to see are the numbers. Mine passes with a flying colors with a mini-cat

In my province you would pass too. (but we do the opposite,... I got plugged in,.. no sniff)

In Cali. you would fail (I'm pretty sure) because that's not original factory equipment.

That's complete crap,.. neither of us stink,... and how many people in Cali. ever had their tumblers swirling anyway??? ,... it's too damn hot (yea I know,... I live further south than the border of California,... but whatever)

I think everyone should smoke a cigarette in their P5 as it warms up in protest.

Meanwhile I'm gonna go burn some more oil.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back