P0421 and new pre CAT

jells

:
03 p5
Hello!

I`m new to here, let me introduce my self.
First, I have to say sorry about my stupid English. My english is not good cause I came here to study.

My car is..
Protege5 2003, 148k miles, manual transmission.
I have owned the car 6months, and I gonna sell it 2 months later cause I gotta go back to my country(Korea) which is far away country.
I wish I could go back to my country with my car, but a shipping fee is crazy.

By the way...

I was suffered by p0300(Random misfire??) for a week(And I`ve driven about 500miles with p0300 since I was in middle of nowhere)
So, I got O2 sensor and EGR valve changed.
also I changed spark plugs, wires, coils. And I cleaned MAF sensor.
There is no p0300 anymore.

But P0421 showed up!
It looks like P0300(random misfire) made pre-cat damaged.

So I think my option is...

1. change original one (no way. too expensive!)
2. non-fouler trick (I found O2 sensor extender https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned))
after I get o2 sensor I`m gonna ask any car repair shop to put it in. Cause I have no tool for that job.
3. Change after market pre cat.
I think this one is also reasonable. But problem is there are tons of pre-cat on the web.
Someone`ve mentioned rockauto.com, and there are so many kinds of catalytic converter so I can`t figure out which one I have to buy.
Also if I choose this option, I will go to any car repair shop to get it replaced.
4. getting used CAT.
(I think this one is also good. But I don`t know where I can get it..)

can anybody give me any recommendation? #2 option or #3 option?? Or even #4??
And can you guys tell me about which after market CAT is reliable? (If possible I need exact link or name.. It`s so confused...T.T)

Anyway thank you so much!! have a nice day!

Last edited:
The non-fouler trick has worked for me and several other ppl I know for years on their Proteges. I got I'm pretty sure part "Help! 42009" and drilled a 1in hole in 1 of the 2. It is cheap and easy, also Autozone "rents" tools. As long as you bring them back they return your money.

I don`t even have a drill. And autozone do not offer drill....(They offer o2 sensor adaptor or sth...)
Do you know some place to buy o2 sensor extender? (I`m in NYC)

Maybe you can make a "Want To Buy" post in the marketplace section of the forum. Someone can make the adapter and then ship it to you; I'd do it if shipping wasn't stupid-expensive from Canada.

I found it.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

It looks like adapter between o2 sensor and pre-cat.
I have not had p0421 for a while (2 days and about 70miles). Once I get P0421 again, I`m gonna order it. Still not sure, I can put in adapter by myself or not.. Anyway I am going to try!!!

That looks great, but you need to make sure that you install it on the lower/secondary/downstream O2 sensor (the one that's threaded into the J-pipe).

Leave the O2 sensor that's installed in the exhaust manifold alone!

second o2 sensor which is under the car.. Thank you.
I just ordered o2 sensor extender. I am looking forward to NO CEL.

Yeah it looks good... try and not round the O2 Sensor. If you can take the shield off infront or above it. I had that problem :/.

Back