Oxygen sensor change

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Well, i bought two O2 sensors for a 2006 MPV. It's my first time changing O2 sensors on this vehicle, and I didn't know there were four O2 sensors. Two upstream sensors, one for each exhaust manifold. And two downstream sensors, one for each catalytic converter. I changed out the front bank, upstream and downstream. That was relatively easy. The plugs are different so that helps you differentiate the two. I had to remove the plastic underbody cover for the passenger side to get more access. I'll be replacing the other two later. There's four 10mm bolts, one 10mm nut and a plastic screw to get the cover off. You need to jack up the front of the van and remove the front passenger wheel to do this job.

I also changed out the serpentine belt and tensioner so the plastic shield was going to come off anyway. This job requires a 3/8" ratchet or breaker bar to loosen the tension on the belt (there's a 3/8" square hole in the tensioner that you crank clockwise to release tension, and a 10mm socket/wrench to remove/install the 10mm bolt in the tensioner.

Latest posts

Back