Owner of a new M5 Phantom Blue

You really painted it yourself. What kind of paint is it. And where you not afraid to touch other parts than the caliper only. I want them too.

It's a Dutch Version Mazda5 by the way.

Jager12 said:
What kind of paint is it. Do I have to go to a local carshop.

It's a special high temp paint from Dupli-Color. Most Auto-Parts stores carry the Black and Red, and some have blue. I got my yellow on the net. Just go to your local Autozone or what ever and ask for the caliper paint. It is a self-leveling type paint and goes on with a brush.

It took about 4 hours to paint them. Put the car on stands, remove the wheels, and take the calipers off. I hung mine with some coat-hanger so i could get all around. I suppose you could leave the calipers on, but you'll need to mask a few spots, and you'll have a little harder time painting probably.

Interesting the brakes are all FoMoCo.

irloyal said:
It took about 4 hours to paint them. Put the car on stands, remove the wheels, and take the calipers off. I hung mine with some coat-hanger so i could get all around. I suppose you could leave the calipers on, but you'll need to mask a few spots, and you'll have a little harder time painting probably.
I've never worked on a car before, what kind of process is it to take your brake calipers off? Is it something a n00b can do or better to leave my hands off?

If you are competent enough to operate hand tools, and read a manual you can do it. Go to the library or on the internet and read about doing a disc brake job. If you feel you could do it, then rock on dude!

I suggest reading about the brake job, because you'll have to remove the calipers and put them back on and make sure you have the brake pads properly in place, just like a brake job.

I doubt the Netherlands has Autozone stores. Maybe others similar though, look for shops that sell car wax and automotive accessories.

I painted my calipers on a Fiat Stilo Abarth a few years ago with Hammerite paint. Cost me just 5 per tin, I mixed two tins to get the correct blue I needed and the job was really easy, I intend to do the same thing for my 5 but I'll use red hammerite.
I done a "how to" on the forum I was a member of at the time, I'll find the link if it helps you.

Here you go.

The 17th post down has a picture guided walkthrough that I done.

http://www.fiatforum.com/stilo-styling/36556-how-paint-calipers-properly.html

Hammerite smooth withstands very high temperatures and is better than a lot of the thin paints you buy purposely for this job and a lot less expensive.
It also covers in just two coats and as long as you follow the guide and don't paint any moving parts of the caliper then you can leave them on the disks ;)

Last edited:
Back