Overboost/bad WGA?

jdowden1

:
03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
So i drove my car about 180 miles today. Everything was good up until tonight. I was driving to go drink some beers and i was in third gear behind a car. The car pulls off and i push the gas down in third gear at about 25 mph. Boost starts building and then around 4k rpm i get a big hesitation. So i pull out on to the main road and i hit it in first and second. Ran excellent. Let off the gas shifted to third and then the same thing again. Also does it in second and fourth and fifth. It feels like its only at full boost, so im thinking its a fuel cutting issue. Any input is helpful. Im thinking maybe the WGA from other threads ive been reading.

Also, there are no engine mod's.

If you are making good boost in 1st gear...it's doubtful that the WGA is bad....sounds like you are experiencing the natural tuning(lack there of) that the engineers gave to the MSP's. If you take it to redline in 1st and then hit 2nd gear fast does it still hesitate? If you keep the rpm's high(say close to 4k and above) you should get less to no hesitation. The hesitation is a result of the ECU dumping too much fuel into the motor at full boost....also the greater load the ECU sees on the motor in higher gears which is why you don't feel it in 1st. The dealer flash is suppose to help with this hesitation....otherwise you can get some kind of aftermarket device to alter your fuel settings.

well its been about 1500 miles. Ive felt hesitation but this is an abrubt hesitation. I dont think its the normal hesitation. its been reflashed there's a sticker in the driver door jam.

Not to mention the factory intercooler sucks after 5mins of starting the car. You lose like 20hp after the car is warmed up with the stock intercooler.

now when i was idling at kfc it felt as if it was going to stall so now im leaning toward a vacuum leak. not to sure though. any and all help is appreciated.

question. you guys that have the fuel cut issue, does it happen at different rpm's in the same gear? or just once at higher rpm's? becuase ive been experiencing it several times per gear, starting at 3-3500rpm and then maybe again at 4 and then again at 5500rpms its quite aggrivating. is this the normal fuel cut?

question. you guys that have the fuel cut issue, does it happen at different rpm's in the same gear? or just once at higher rpm's? becuase ive been experiencing it several times per gear, starting at 3-3500rpm and then maybe again at 4 and then again at 5500rpms its quite aggrivating. is this the normal fuel cut?

I just got this.. and have had it many times before. This time it gave me a CEL but i havn't pulled it yet.

It happens exactly at 3500rpm in 3rd gear the most violently, and 4th/5th not so agressive but still around 3500rpm.

I'm guessing it's a tuning issue as I've checked for vacuum leaks millions of times.

What setup are you running?

its just stock. its at the dealership now, being fixed under their warranty. hopefully they will fix it. i dont care because they're paying for a loaner car. ha. but when they tell me what it is i'll let you know. its actually at a toyota dealer but they're affiliated with a mazda dealer so i dont know. we'll see.

I think I have the same issue I've been trying to get help with it and I'm so fed up I'm about to sell it. Never had hesitation this bad and I have a brand new ATP wga, altered customs fmic, injen sri and full catless exhaust. How can i fix this most easily?!

I think I have the same issue I've been trying to get help with it and I'm so fed up I'm about to sell it. Never had hesitation this bad and I have a brand new ATP wga, altered customs fmic, injen sri and full catless exhaust. How can i fix this most easily?!

With these mods are you running off the stock MSP ECU?
I'm very convinced this is a tuning problem with the stock ECU.

It seems to only happen to me under cold/damp weather conditions.

the dealer told me today that they're going to replace the coil packs, and hopefully the sparkplugs. maybe it will fix it. who knows, but until its fixed its their problem. but for now i just rock the 09 queer seafoam green cobalt 4 door

haha yeah right! its just a base model.
501188087_1_B.jpg

and it has the funny smell on the inside! its weird.

Last edited:
Ya I'm stock ecu still.. Would upgraded engine management fix this and allow my mods to do their job? Cause right now I have a slow loud car with a turbo that basically is only there for noise and a cool looking front mount that doesn't hardly get a chance to work cause I'm so frustrated with the hesitation or whatever that I don't even boost. It falls on it's face if I boost from 3rd gear up any lower than about 4grand and in any gear if I shift and try to hit boost again quickly. Also sometimes my turbo sounds like it's whining not hissing when it is hesitating.. Don't know what that could be.. Fml with this car right now idk what to do anymore I've got so much money in it.

im not too sure, but the coil packs werent the answer, the car is headed to a mazdaspeed shop today to get worked on. so we'll see, hopefully they'll figure it out. msp1986 do you have the ssafc?

I don't have any sort of engine management right mow I'm stock ecu. The dealership says that in 03 my ecu was completely replaced instead of reflashed so I'm wondering if te new one was reflashed or not but it doesn't feel like it

when we meet up i have no problem swaping you parts till you figure it out. try my ecu, try my coils (there brand new) try whatever, as long as my stuff doesnt get broken lol

Back