Ouchie!

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD
Well, before last Saturday night my lovely 2016.5 didn't have a single scratch on it. Then an unfortunate encounter with a big rig blown tire tread ended that. Uggh, any ballpark numbers for replacing the front bumper cover? That's going to be the big ticket item here for sure.

Here's the damage
1. Broken front bumper cover, will have to be replaced
2. Missing splash guard by fog light
3. Fog light trim (recovered but damaged)
4. Fog light ripped from bumper, held on by one screw (luckily it still works)
5. Fender moulding damaged, needs replacement
6. Wheel well splash guard plastic destroyed (truck tread got caught up in there and ripped it out).
7. Front door moulding, one clip broken.
8. Rear door moulding, one clip broken.

Hopefully it's all just trim, getting an estimate tomorrow. I know it's going to hurt! 😭

0129221816.jpg0129221845.jpg0129221845c.jpg0129221846.jpg0129221845a.jpg0129221845b.jpg0129221847.jpg0129221846b.jpg0130220757.jpg
The culprit 👆(photographed the day after)

Well, before last Saturday night my lovely 2016.5 didn't have a single scratch on it. Then an unfortunate encounter with a big rig blown tire tread ended that. Uggh, any ballpark numbers for replacing the front bumper cover? That's going to be the big ticket item here for sure.

Here's the damage
1. Broken front bumper cover, will have to be replaced
2. Missing splash guard by fog light
3. Fog light trim (recovered but damaged)
4. Fog light ripped from bumper, held on by one screw (luckily it still works)
5. Fender moulding damaged, needs replacement
6. Wheel well splash guard plastic destroyed (truck tread got caught up in there and ripped it out).
7. Front door moulding, one clip broken.
8. Rear door moulding, one clip broken.

Hopefully it's all just trim, getting an estimate tomorrow. I know it's going to hurt! 😭

View attachment 307113View attachment 307114View attachment 307115View attachment 307116View attachment 307117View attachment 307118View attachment 307119View attachment 307120View attachment 307129
The culprit 👆(photographed the day after)
It’s a shame to see a such nicely maintained, and my favorite CX-5 MY BTW, 2016.5 CX-5 got ruined! ☹️

$0, if you have you insurance.
Not necessary. The truth is even if you have high-priced $0 deductible car insurance, your premium will increase in your next bill after you had a claim like this.

4 years ago my CX5, also a red one, got hit in the front. Front bumper cover with grill came to in the ballpark of $1250. Find some one who's reputable in paint matching. That red needs special care.

My insurance says because it was an object in the roadway on the ground, I'm considered "at fault" for hitting it. So if they pay out anything on the claim, it goes on my record and my premiums will go up.

The exact circumstances here is that it was nighttime and I was moving from the middle lane to the right lane with a car in front of me. I had just checked my mirror and when I looked up mid lane change saw it. I had 1/2 second to swerve and almost missed it, but it hit the fog light and then got wrapped up in the wheel well.

Apparently, as soon an object hits the ground and stops moving, it's no longer considered under comprehensive coverage, or act of god (like a deer), and therefore drops into the "at fault" category because as a driver they say I have the responsibility to not hit things in the road. That's true, but something black and sitting between lanes at night obscured by the car in front of me, and I had no chance, just dumb luck.

This is my first ever accident in 23 years of driving, I'm so pissed it happened 😤

Yes, and it will not impact your insurance rates, unless you have a very poor driving record.
Again, this may be true in the old days, but it isn’t necessary true nowadays, at least from my recent experience. Any claim will affect your insurance premium, especially in OP’s situation where he “caused” the incident by hitting something himself.

The hail damage claim on my CX-5 twice had caused my insurance premium increased twice drastically each time (doubled for all vehicles we have including those without the claim), and this’s not even my fault. Of course the same applies to my homeowner insurance too! Trying to switch insurance company won’t help much either as every insurance company has our claim data.

My insurance says because it was an object in the roadway on the ground, I'm considered "at fault" for hitting it. So if they pay out anything on the claim, it goes on my record and my premiums will go up.
Just like I said in my previous post. But honestly even if the incident isn’t your fault, the premium will still increase once you file a claim. The insurance is for big things only nowadays, and I’d never file any thing for minor incident. In old days I file damages for hundreds without any worries of premium increase, but now I only consider filing for major one such as hail damage.

The exact circumstances here is that it was nighttime and I was moving from the middle lane to the right lane with a car in front of me. I had just checked my mirror and when I looked up mid lane change saw it. I had 1/2 second to swerve and almost missed it, but it hit the fog light and then got wrapped up in the wheel well.
I had a similar experience driving my 1998 Honda CR-V on the highway. Luckily it’s the bright daylight and I could see the object, an engine block😵‍💫, on the road easier and just in time to swerve and missed it. During the swerving I almost felt like the CR-V would tip over!

Apparently, as soon an object hits the ground and stops moving, it's no longer considered under comprehensive coverage, or act of god (like a deer), and therefore drops into the "at fault" category because as a driver they say I have the responsibility to not hit things in the road. That's true, but something black and sitting between lanes at night obscured by the car in front of me, and I had no chance, just dumb luck.
Learned something here.

This is my first ever accident in 23 years of driving, I'm so pissed it happened 😤
☹️

Are you sure the car in front, that just passed it, didn't cause it to move? ;)

Are you sure the car in front, that just passed it, didn't cause it to move? ;)
I'm not sure, but no dice. I mentioned how I only had a split second and it could have been kicked over, but apparently unless it's flying through the air, it's on me.

I'll be eating thr cost on this one, but at least I can handle the cost and nobody got hurt.

I feel your pain, OP.
A similar accident happened to my CX5 last year ... also thanks to a big tire tread.
It was obscured by the vehicle in front of me. Too late when I saw it.
On highway, trying to swirl around it could be even worse.

Luckily, in my case, only the rear wheel well splash was ripped open (and fasteners damaged).
Did not file a claim. Got the part from internet and put it in myself. Less than $100.

I feel your pain, OP.
A similar accident happened to my CX5 last year ... also thanks to a big tire tread.
It was obscured by the vehicle in front of me. Too late when I saw it.
On highway, trying to swirl around it could be even worse.

Luckily, in my case, only the rear wheel well splash was ripped open (and fasteners damaged).
Did not file a claim. Got the part from internet and put it in myself. Less than $100.
If it wasn't for the bumper cover and the associated paint matching needing to be done, I could fix everything on my own as it's all just snap on / screw on plastic bits (assuming there isn't damage I can't see).

I figured I'd be up around the $1,500 mark for the bumper, so it sucks, but it's not the end of the world. I'll find out later today what the actual estimate is. I wanted to share the post in case 1) people are curious about what it looks like under these bits, and 2) in case others have similar damage in the future so they can know what to expect.

Sorry to hear your unfortunate damage, front dashcam might have proved the vehicle in front of you caused it to move, if you had one.

In these days, you don't have to file a claim to have your premium increased. A few years back, I was in bumper to bumper traffic, got hit from behind by an uninsured kid who ran away without giving us any info, but I did take a photo. ML320 I was driving had trailer hitch installed, zero damage. But the impact caused my wife to throw up. Out of abundance of caution, I called CHP and notified insurance company of the incident. None of my fault and we didn't filed claim, and we're claimless for over 40 years, but they jacked up my premium 30%. Wrong place at wrong time, is this an act of GOD?

Just goes to prove what we already know. Insurance companies have only one mandate: To make as much money as possible to keep the shareholders happy.
They will do ANYTHING to keep from having to pay out a claim, and will use ANY feeble excuse to jack up your premiums.
They are not in the business of helping their clients. Far from it. You are seen as tools of the trade and suckers to be bled for more cash. You are a source of income, nothing more. I hate insurance companies.

I think a 'raw' bumper cover might not cost all that much. If you can paint it or maybe get it painted the DIY might be reasonable.

Latest posts

Back