Ordered the Cobb SRI yesterday...

HotSnatch

:
09 Mazdaspeed3
Hi All,

So i ordered the SRI through COBB's website and its now a day later and I haven't received a confirmation through e-mail. I went to the site and I can see my order, but there isn't any status update. I know its only been one day since I ordered, but I'm just trying to figure out how long it takes them to process the order and ship it from their HQ (Utah?) to California via ground shipping.

I called them a couple times today and they don't seem to want to pick up. Anybody have any insight on orders through COBB?

I'm going to have a trusted mechanic do the install for me. Do you guys have any pointers regarding this intake? Any dealership horror stories? This is the only mod I really plan on doing, mostly for the sound/gas mileage improvement if I can keep my foot out of it.

EDIT: Its been shipped!!

EDIT2: I caved and got the SU Rear Motor mount as well. I'm done with mods for good now!

Last edited:
My dealer is totally fine with mine, however be warned, do NOT use the attachment bracket that mounts to the battery tray. It WILL break a weld on this bracket, causing a terrible noise. dealer cost to replace this piece is about $150 with labor.

Hi All,

So i ordered the SRI through COBB's website and its now a day later and I haven't received a confirmation through e-mail. I went to the site and I can see my order, but there isn't any status update. I know its only been one day since I ordered, but I'm just trying to figure out how long it takes them to process the order and ship it from their HQ (Utah?) to California via ground shipping.

I called them a couple times today and they don't seem to want to pick up. Anybody have any insight on orders through COBB?

I'm going to have a trusted mechanic do the install for me. Do you guys have any pointers regarding this intake? Any dealership horror stories? This is the only mod I really plan on doing, mostly for the sound/gas mileage improvement if I can keep my foot out of it.

Cobb is very good with their orders but they have a lot going on so orders may be a tad slow.... Also why have someone else install this? It's the easiest thing to install on this car besides the Access Port lol.

My dealer is totally fine with mine, however be warned, do NOT use the attachment bracket that mounts to the battery tray. It WILL break a weld on this bracket, causing a terrible noise. dealer cost to replace this piece is about $150 with labor.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cobb is very good with their orders but they have a lot going on so orders may be a tad slow.... Also why have someone else install this? It's the easiest thing to install on this car besides the Access Port lol.

Well mainly because I don't have any tools at the moment. I'm sure I could follow the directions and do it myself if I did. Also this is the only mod I plan on doing and a friend owns a car shop, and I need some other service done so might as well have him do it.

I've read that the car tends to run lean when not in boost with this intake added. Will that do any long term damage to my engine? Will I be ok having only this mod?? I have a feeling this mod will lead me to RMM and maybe BPV, but is anything absolutely necessary?

Not sure what dealership you go to, but I know that the guys at Diablo Mazda/Subaru in Walnut Creek are pretty cool about mods. Half of the mechanics drive insanely modded STi's, so they have some tolerance.

I've never had a problem with the battery bracket, so not sure how you should go about that. If you don't use the bracket, theres nothing to support the SRI, and I have over 30,000 miles on my car with it.

And secondly, go out and buy a 10 dollar socket wrench set, and i'm sure you have a philips screwdriver. Thats all you need, and you'll get more enjoyment out if knowing you did it yourself.

And about the running lean issue. I'm certainly no expert but I ran my car without a tune until a couple of months ago with no problems. And also, the speed is known for running rich, if anything the SRI will even things out a bit, but I don't think it's anything major.

mine has broken the battery tray not once, but twice.

in regards to the running lean, I have had a cobb sri on mine since it was new, never an issue. I have logged the ecu several times, under very hard acceleration runs, and it was right where it should be, sometimes hitting quite rich @ full load/boost.

Last edited:
Is there a better way to support the cobb sri? I have had mine on for about 30k now, and my bracket is not broken, but if there is a better solution I would go with it.

Not sure what dealership you go to, but I know that the guys at Diablo Mazda/Subaru in Walnut Creek are pretty cool about mods. Half of the mechanics drive insanely modded STi's, so they have some tolerance.

I go to Mazda of Oakland where I bought the car. So far I'm not too happy with them. I bought my own Synthetic oil for an oil change once, and the service manager said they would do it, but they would void some aspect of the warranty which I cannot recall now. Saying that the engine was made for regular oil or some BS like that. So I'm not even going to tell them about the mod and probably abstain from any service with them in the future. As long as i document any services I should be ok.

Is there a better way to support the cobb sri? I have had mine on for about 30k now, and my bracket is not broken, but if there is a better solution I would go with it.

I would also like to know this!

You would think that COBB would modify the design if this such a prevalent issue...I'm worried now!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there has been more than one reported case. I've seen the issue brought up on several threads and even different forums.

iFail - I haven't run across it and I've been trying to read as much up on CAIs as i can. Thanks for the heads up man.

My mount hasn't broken and I have had my SRI on there for about a year now. And honestly dude, just do the intall your self its so effing easy.

To clear the air here, I can assure you I am not the only one. I denied it initially after achieving 30k on the car with no problems, then out of the blue it broke. I paid to have it repaired, and then it broke again. I am now in the process of fabricating a heavier bracket to keep it from happening again.

In regards to dealer, I think he was asking would they void the warranty due to the aftermarket intake, and in fact some will do just that, others not a big deal. Mine is ok with it.

15000 miles with my Cobb intake using the Bracket and ZERO prabs. Thats all I can say for that, since I dont have a list of everyone in the world who uses the Cobb bracket, But it would "appear" that the vast majority of the people on the this forum are not having thier Brackets breaking. Ok moving on..The ms3 is a pig rich car from the start-your car is gonna run& breathe soo much better with it, and youll be fine..no worries about running too lean...Also I would suggest as well that you look into buying a few basic hand tools so you can put this intake on yourself. This is a VERY simple install..Im not kidding..its extremly simple. If you have ANY common sense with basic mechanics at all, you will be fine :) please believe that. Goodluck with everything :)

To clear the air here, I can assure you I am not the only one. I denied it initially after achieving 30k on the car with no problems, then out of the blue it broke. I paid to have it repaired, and then it broke again. I am now in the process of fabricating a heavier bracket to keep it from happening again.

In regards to dealer, I think he was asking would they void the warranty due to the aftermarket intake, and in fact some will do just that, others not a big deal. Mine is ok with it.

It's good to know that not necessarily WILL happen, but it very well could and what to expect if it does. What do other intake manufacturers use for support in lieu of this, and have you asked Cobb about it?

I would lean on the side of it WILL DEFINITELY break long term. There is no doubt in my mind after seeing the battery tray off the car. The tab/weld that breaks is definitely not intended to EVER support a load such as the intake places on it when the engine moves around. The intake is not heavy, but when the engine moves back and forth in the engine bay, it puts SIGNIFICANT stress on these tabs that over a period of time will break them.

Latest posts

Back