Optimal cruising MPG

I did a 1000 mile mostly freeway roadtrip, and average cruising speed at 72mph, got 27mpg on regular.

I've estimated that I get about 23mpg cruising at 80mph, 25-27mpg crusing at 70-72mph, and 27-30mpg crusing at 70mph. Which is pretty good because my Signature is rated 27 for highway and I know the testing is always done at 55-60mph.

My MPG is very closely aligned with yours. Thanks for posting.

2019 CX-5 Sig 6500 mile RT to Yellowstone NP from the East Coast: avg mpg: 28.2 at mostly highway at ~75 mph, but included some city driving in Pittsburgh and Chicago.

2019 CX-5 Sig 6500 mile RT to Yellowstone NP from the East Coast: avg mpg: 28.2 at mostly highway at ~75 mph, but included some city driving in Pittsburgh and Chicago.

You took a 6500 road trip to Yellowstone from East Coast!!! Respect!!!! :D Must've been fun!

Just confirming that these 8-12 mile trips (plus my living in a gully) are apparently what's killing my mileage.

Since I've had the Fuel Monitor set to automatically display whenever the ignition is turned off (so I get mileage reports at each trip's end), I consistently see 16-19 MPG outbound (from a cold start) and 26-28 MPG back home (when warmed up) every single trip. This occurs with departure/destination elevation net differences of as little as 20 feet.

I live off a right-of-way downhill off the hard surface road...a 75' elevation drop. I imagine that the initial 1/2 mile uphill climb while cold to get to the main road is a big part of what kills the short outbound trip mileage...needs a longer drive to overcome that initial slug of fuel consumption.

Sometimes I gotta remind myself of the upsides...

2012-03-05 snow.jpg

My house is down there...somewhere.

That will do it. It does seem that all of the Sky active engines, turbo or not, use TONS of gas at the very beginning.

Last edited:
Just confirming that these 8-12 mile trips (plus my living in a gully) are apparently what's killing my mileage.

Since I've had the Fuel Monitor set to automatically display whenever the ignition is turned off (so I get mileage reports at each trip's end), I consistently see 16-19 MPG outbound (from a cold start) and 26-28 MPG back home (when warmed up) every single trip. This occurs with departure/destination elevation net differences of as little as 20 feet.

So, what did I win? :D ...

Not sure you can discount this, You are effectively lifting a 3400 lb (ish) vehicle - ~1.7 tons - by ten feet, every mile. That would seem to be quite a lot of energy required, actually.

16-19 mpg for an 8 mile trip? What is average speed?
Going to one shopping district is:
-1/2 mile inclined right-of-way
-2.5 miles non-stop @ 45-55MPH
-4.5 miles non-stop @ 55-65MPH
-1.0 miles final leg is in minor traffic with a couple of stop lights

Going to the other is:
-1/2 mile inclined right-of-way
-4.0 miles non-stop @ 45-55MPH
-6.5 miles non-stop @ 55-65MPH
-1.0 miles final leg is in minor traffic with a couple of stop lights

("non-stop" means no stop signs/traffic lights/impeding traffic)

Keep in mind that it's 19MPG outbound but 26MPG back home.
Also keep in mind that I slug UP the right of way outbound and go DOWN it back home.

Just finished a tankful in my recently purchased preowned 2019 CX5 2.5L NA. Trip computer 33.6 mpg combined, this is a new high, previous tank was just over 30mpg for the tank.

We have been taking alot of highway mixed with rural roads with 35-45mph speed limits (right in the optimum cylinder deactivation range) and its really showing.

Also since ive taken ownership the mpg has steadily risen. I attribute that to the car being flashed for the recall before I purchased it.....which reset fuel trims. As the car has learned and adjusted fueling its getting better and better.

Are all GTR's turbos?
Yes.

"R"=Reserve

Reserves and Signatures at the top 2 CX-5 trims, and only come with turbos.
They are also the only trims that have turbos.

You can see a summary on Mazda's Build & Price page.
Sport, Touring and Grand Touring eng = 2.5L (no turbo option)
Reserve and Signature eng = 2.5T (no non-turbo option)

Yes.

"R"=Reserve

Reserves and Signatures at the top 2 CX-5 trims, and only come with turbos.
They are also the only trims that have turbos.

You can see a summary on Mazda's Build & Price page.
Sport, Touring and Grand Touring eng = 2.5L (no turbo option)
Reserve and Signature eng = 2.5T (no non-turbo option)

Thanks for the info! I have a 19 Signature and I'm seeing similar mileage numbers. I wasn't sure if @2019cx5T had a turbo car. I guess the 'T' in the username would have been a good indicator.

Thanks for the info! I have a 19 Signature and I'm seeing similar mileage numbers. I wasn't sure if @2019cx5T had a turbo car. I guess the 'T' in the username would have been a good indicator.
I only know because I've been immersed in this stuff ever since I started looking in the Spring of 2018.

I have a Reserve and I think because of my terrain, my average (since March 2019) is around 24MPG.

I don't care. It's the terrain that makes this car so much fun to drive. I imagine you know what I mean, huh? These are very nice cars.

Latest posts

Back