Opinions on automatic P5s and modding...

dezine

Contributor
:
2009 Mazdaspeed3
Well I've been thinking lately. I haven't really done much work to my P5 except just tint the windows and put a nice sound system in it, but I've been thinking lately about going beyond that and doing some appearence and engine work done. But I just can't seem to justify just yet in doing any of it for the sole reason that it's an '02 P5 with an automatic 4 speed transmission (car has just over 79k miles, with one transmission replacement already done at around 45k) that I've heard has had it's own share of problems down the road. I also don't really get the extra edge out of the car I think just because of the fact it's not a 5 speed for that extra funness. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but I'm stuck at what I should do.

So my question is to those out there who own an automatic P5 on how they feel about going and modding their cars and if they have any opinions or advice on what they think. I'm thinking of the option for down the road of just saving money now, sell the car, and get a 5 speed version and then do modding from there.

Thanks!

I have an auto MP5. I'm currently swapping out the tranny for manual. I have alot in the car now, Turbo, bodykit, rollcage, etc. It depends on what you want to get out the car. Like turbo or stay N/a, looks, audio, etc.

Well unless you have a lot of green to let go I dont see the p5 getting that much faster. Ive modded my auto p5 and Im not sure that its much faster than when I bought it. Lets put it this way, a stock auto p5 will dyno at what, 97 whp? I have an underdrive pulley, catback, intake, high flow midpipe and i dynoed at 107 whp. Thats 10 whp for like 650 bucks. Im not too sure if its worth it or not. It definitely sounds mean but it doesnt back that sound up very well. Its ultimately up to your interpretation. If you have enough money and feel its worth it, go for it.

Save your tranny, buy a tranny oil cooler & keep decent fluid in it & no hi rev drive dumping from neutral. It is what it is & that's what it'll be. Get a 500.00 valve body for better shifting. Go turbo up to about 8 psi if you're so inclined. Do all the suspension & motor stuff anyone else does. Go crazy, it'll be just like everyone elses car as far as the speed goes because there's always one that's faster no matter who you are or how much more money you spent to be in that same club. Enjoy cars while you still can & as much as you can.

Save your tranny, buy a tranny oil cooler & keep decent fluid in it & no hi rev drive dumping from neutral. It is what it is & that's what it'll be. Get a 500.00 valve body for better shifting. Go turbo up to about 8 psi if you're so inclined. Do all the suspension & motor stuff anyone else does. Go crazy, it'll be just like everyone elses car as far as the speed goes because there's always one that's faster no matter who you are or how much more money you spent to be in that same club. Enjoy cars while you still can & as much as you can.
(mswerd)

I know what you guys mean. I just feel something missing about not being able to manually shift those gears... lol. I'm just trying to decide on how to go about this. I'm leaning towards trying to get a 5 speed sooner or later and just keep what I have nice and clean.

Back