Opening trunk w/ smart key. Duh.

So I've owned my CX-9 about two months now and have found that the GT really comes stocked with a lot of stuff I started taking for granted in my previous car (5 series BMW)...for a lot less $$.

The one that did bother me is that unlike my previous car I could not open the trunk with the smart key system without first going to unlock the car from one of the doors. Then finally last week I was like "Mazda can't have overlooked this", and sure enough, there is a little black button hidden above the license plate to open the trunk. (hand)

Should probably RTM more closely next time. (thumb)

It's amazing what you find in the owners manual.

I didn't know you could roll the windows down with the remote or key until I read our manual.

I didn't know you could roll the windows down with the remote or key until I read our manual.

I wish there was a way (and maybe there is?) to roll them up with the remote. There are many times when I get everyone out of the car and notice that I forgot to put up the windows, which means I have to get back into the car and roll them up.

Touring9,
I rarely take the SmartKey out of my pocket, not to mention taking out the metal key to do anything with it. It could be rusted already, and I wouldn't know it.

Many asked: why I have to unlock the hatch to roll up the hatch?
Safety concern, my friend. Mazda, like Toyota (who Mazda shares lots of parts with), is just being conservative in safety design. I hate it also, not trying to defend for Mazda.

Stick the key in the outside door lock and turn and hold.

or if you have the smartkey just press and hold the lock button on the door.

what annoys me is the powerlift gate on the remote. I have to unlock twice, then press the trunk, that's like 3 buttons to press :(

or if you have the smartkey just press and hold the lock button on the door.

what annoys me is the powerlift gate on the remote. I have to unlock twice, then press the trunk, that's like 3 buttons to press :(

Try walking up to it and lifting it up manually. 3 buttons....

I do too a lot, but the power lift is nice if it's raining or snowing, or just approaching with a full cart.

Not sure about you guys, but the thing that gets me is that you cannot lock the doors if one of them is open, nor if the hatch is open.

This means I have to stand by my door until everyone gets out before I can lock the car.

Also, if I’m loading something up, what if I don’t want my doors unlocked?? That would be more of a safety concern in my opinion over opening the hatch without unlocking ALL the doors.

Not sure about you guys, but the thing that gets me is that you cannot lock the doors if one of them is open, nor if the hatch is open.

This means I have to stand by my door until everyone gets out before I can lock the car.

Also, if Im loading something up, what if I dont want my doors unlocked?? That would be more of a safety concern in my opinion over opening the hatch without unlocking ALL the doors.

Agree 100% on door locking. My 550 would allow me to initiate the lock and start walking away, but the lock would actually occur (with a beep) once the last door was closed.

I don't mind the full unlock feature since i'm not usually in any questionable areas. Plus I'm not sure how much risk there is of someone jumping into my car while I access the trunk. If they wanted the car they would still need the key in it to start it.

My 550 would allow me to initiate the lock and start walking away, but the lock would actually occur (with a beep) once the last door was closed.
Interesting feature. What if the last person leave the door ajar w/o you knowing that.
What happens then? One of your door will be unlocked. And, you walked way already.
I think the autolock feature w/ SmartKey is more reasonable, but it needs to be even smarter than what it is now. (i.e. take seat sensors input to tell if there are passengers inside)

Remember when you had to reach over and push all the locks down before getting out? (lol2)

I have the smart key but prefer not to have the auto lock engaged. I press the remote to lock and unlock the doors. That way I know when they are locked, and decide when to unlock them for security. What I like about the smart key is that once I unlock the car, I can put the remote back in my pocket and leave it there. No key in the ignition over and over to wear out.

Car technology hasn't been reliable enough for me to just walk away and assume our car will lock itself. Even less so after coming back to the car once and a passenger window was halfway down for no reason.

Touring9,
Autolock will give a short "beep" to indicate that it WILL lock your car. If you don't hear that, it WILL NOT lock the car. It is that simple. It is not like you are not sure whether it will or not. It has not failed me yet, being using it for almost two years.

With Autolock, I rarely remove my key from my pocket. That is essence of SmartKey technology. In Japan, there is a SmartKey watch for Lexus LS made by Seiko. The only downside is that it lasts not as long due to battery, and it does not come with a metal key in case of battery drain.

I know it beeps, but I find that button press and click more reassuring. I also don't want the car unlocking itself as my wife approaches it in the dark college parking lot until she's ready to unlock the drivers door. 1/3 of the time we have things for the back, so I already have the remote out, anyway. I prefer having the liftgate open by the time we get there, rather than having to press the request button.

The nice think is that we have the option. It's clear that different people have different preferences.

Interesting feature. What if the last person leave the door ajar w/o you knowing that.
What happens then? One of your door will be unlocked. And, you walked way already.
I think the autolock feature w/ SmartKey is more reasonable, but it needs to be even smarter than what it is now. (i.e. take seat sensors input to tell if there are passengers inside)

yes, if the last person never closes the door, that last door will not lock (duh, it's open!) and the alarm will not arm. But you'll know the car hasn't locked (no beep). This allows you to get out of your car, initiate the lock from your driver's door (once the passenger(s) have opened their doors) and move away from the door (to help the kids, get stuff from back, etc). You don't have to stand there next to your own door waiting for everyone else to close their doors before locking and then moving away from it.

Remember when you had to reach over and push all the locks down before getting out? (lol2)

I have the smart key but prefer not to have the auto lock engaged. I press the remote to lock and unlock the doors. That way I know when they are locked, and decide when to unlock them for security. What I like about the smart key is that once I unlock the car, I can put the remote back in my pocket and leave it there. No key in the ignition over and over to wear out.

Car technology hasn't been reliable enough for me to just walk away and assume our car will lock itself. Even less so after coming back to the car once and a passenger window was halfway down for no reason.

Not sure why you question the safety/reliability of the smart key locking system:
- safety: I find it more secure, since you have to press a button on the door to initiate the unlock, rather than from a distance when you press the button. In any case, it's not LESS safe.
- reliability: pressing the button on the door, and i) hearing the beep ii) hearing the lock engage iii) watching the lights flash is a pretty reliable indicator that your car has locked. There are many more things in our car with a higher "trust me" factor than that. Note that in no case do you just "walk away and assume the car will lock itself"
- also, convenience: having to press the remote button to lock/unlock eliminates 1/2 the benefit of the smart key. I've had my car two months and have seen my key twice (once when I got it, and one other time to remind myself what it looks like). It just stays in my wallet and I never need to touch it.

Touring9,
Autolock will give a short "beep" to indicate that it WILL lock your car. If you don't hear that, it WILL NOT lock the car. It is that simple. It is not like you are not sure whether it will or not. It has not failed me yet, being using it for almost two years.

With Autolock, I rarely remove my key from my pocket. That is essence of SmartKey technology. In Japan, there is a SmartKey watch for Lexus LS made by Seiko. The only downside is that it lasts not as long due to battery, and it does not come with a metal key in case of battery drain.

+1

I know it beeps, but I find that button press and click more reassuring. I also don't want the car unlocking itself as my wife approaches it in the dark college parking lot until she's ready to unlock the drivers door. 1/3 of the time we have things for the back, so I already have the remote out, anyway. I prefer having the liftgate open by the time we get there, rather than having to press the request button.

The nice think is that we have the option. It's clear that different people have different preferences.

You get the "click" of the locks regardless of whether you initiate the lock from the button on the car door or the remote. Also, in no case does the car unlock automatically as you approach it.

Last edited:
Another value-added comment from SportOwner! No wonder your post count is so high.

More trying to understand his rationale (to try to learn something new) rather than convincing him he is wrong.

I have a problem with the remote's limited range. It's like if you walk 3 feet away from the car the remote is useless.

What range? If you meant the SmartKey's effective sensing range, it is 3ft near every doors and hatch. If you meant the buttons on the keyCard, mine is effective from 20 ft away (at least).

My remote works at a pretty good distance too, even for the liftgate. I can have the gate fully open by the time I get to it.

As far as using the request buttons, you have to be within reach of the car anyway.

Otherwise, low battery?

Back