Ooops... I broke it again.

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5

I've got some parts to order and work to do...

I've got all the tools I need...

Last edited:
Are you sure you have all you need? ;)

crusher-opening-header.jpg

J/K...You guys up north sure have a rough go with the P5s at this point in their life cycle. Feeling very fortunate mine has been in GA and FL all its 13 years.

Hope the replacement goes smoothly for ya. I've got a set of stock struts and springs in my attic with about 70K on them...shipping these up to you would be a pricey and a pain.

Im impressed the spring is still seated as such lol.

Im impressed the spring is still seated as such lol.

Yea... That was after I lifted the car.

It was as slow clunky ride home. I'm lucky I didn't have far to go and it's not the middle of winter.

Here's my parts list so far... I'm gonna go with economy rear hubs because they're easy to replace.

I sure hope my front bearings aren't humming too... I don't want to to them over again.

So things keep breaking...

So I tried to drill it out... I missed by a mile...

The stud was catching on the strut and I couldn't get the knuckle off so I wedged a chisel into make room for my cutoff saw blade.

The speed sensor bolt broke too...

Finally got the thing out...

Looks pretty good here...

But I rusted through the trunk... I'm just gonna stuff an oily rag in there and call it fixed.

Last edited:
Anyway...

Good news is I don't need to use the fancy SST (spring compressor) to install my new new strut... there's obviously no preloaded.

Jeebus that is one of the worst cases of rust I've ever seen; it pretty much looks like the car had been sitting in water for a week or something. :O

Broke the same bolt (rear speed sensor) yesterday. Got to see rusted backing plates, too. The good news is that the sensor is a super tight fit, so I am going to leave it the way it is and not try to remove the broken bolt.

Broke the same bolt (rear speed sensor) yesterday. Got to see rusted backing plates, too. The good news is that the sensor is a super tight fit, so I am going to leave it the way it is and not try to remove the broken bolt.

Same here... I'm leaving all the rust and dirt on it to keep it snug.

I've got $350 worth of car parts coming plus the $120 I just spent having it under coated again.

I just hope I'm not buying a new saddle for a dead horse.... Or good money after bad as my dad would say...

84737b59a587ae3e5bfd6c0fd9471c37.jpg

That's the location on my car with the most rust too. But I think your and my definition of "rust" may differ wildly. Let's see how Tapatalk attaches pics...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

this is a photo of a brand new car. Rust? where is the rust? Love to have my P5 this clean

It's sad that these cars are such freaking rust buckets. When I see one in a junkyard here in NY, I'm always shocked at how bad the rust is. The whole underside of the car is gone. Other cars of similar vintage (or older) aren't event close. I haven't had any issues with bolts yet, but snapping off screw heads on parts under the car is getting common. Fortunately, my daughter's P5 is a southern PA car that hasn't been subjected to a NY winter yet (hopefully, it never will). It has a couple of spots that have needed attention, but it's pretty clean for a northern car. The first thing I did was clean and treat any spots, then undercoated/rustproofed the entire car. That'll slow it down a bit.

My Car Parts Arrived !!!!

Now to go put my new saddle on my Rusty old horse....

Can someone tell me what in looking at here ???

I think it's called the stopper seat but I didn't get one with my new strut or strut mount ??

Everything was rusted together and I thought it was part of the strut mount.

Do I need to re-use the rusty piece of crap or can I just delete it ???

It's not listed as a part at rock auto.

Back