Only one rotor has compression

671_p5

:
Protege 5
What does it mean when only one rotor has compression? Is it just blown apex seals or could the whole housing have become messed up? It happened after pushing 17 psi of boost on an autocross course without any fuel management (drive2) . Just wondering because I might be interested in my friends motor.

Oh yea and it still starts but it has a really hard time climbing up rpm.

the rotor is blown but on the bad side of things in most cases if it ate the apex seal the housing needs to be replaced. Its highly doubtful but it could have cooked the face seal but more than likly an apex seal

the factory carbon seals are like grenades when they. Odds are the rotor and housing need replaced.

Sounds liek they it might be done to me but you'll know when you tear it apart...

lol this was just posted in another thread:
image.php

evilmonkeyMSP said:
Sounds liek they it might be done to me but you'll know when you tear it apart...

image.php
LOL Thats freaking funny... but rotaries are not all that bad

evilmonkeyMSP said:

image.php

take the leading spark plug out of one of the rotors. removed the EGI/ING fuses so that you dont get combustion or fuel. crank the motor. You should get three even "whooshes". If all three are even, replace plug, try it on the next housing. If you have one strong, and two weak, you lost an apex seal. If you have two strong and one weak, you have a stuck side seal. Apex seals are bad news bears when they go. Side seals and sometimes unstick. Usually they only go bad afer alot of carbon buildup.

if you decided to rebuild the motor, you must get another S5 housing and rotor. The rotor must also be of the same weight stamping. The s5 housing, while it might look similiar, has a ever so slightly difference spark plug hole placement which will not yeild the same spark timing as the s4.

671_p5 said:
... It happened after pushing 17 psi of boost on an autocross course without any fuel management ...
(boom07)

and your mods are..

Last edited:
amp said:
(boom07)

and your mods are..
I dont think he had anythiing more than basic mods and a fuel controller... LOL but he ran it for a few months before it gave out.

Back